*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 05, 2024, 10:45:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Screen going black on startup  (Read 3290 times)

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Screen going black on startup
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »

OK computer geniuses, try this one:

I had a computer running fine on an older ATI video card.  I bought a better ATI video card a few months ago.  It comes with a CD to install the drivers.  I installed the hardware, then the software and drivers.  It works fine, graphics are better, faster, ect...

Suddenly, my computer screen just started randomly freezing, but only for about 5 seconds at a time.  While playing video games, it'll freeze about once every 10 minutes, but only for a few seconds.  When NOT playing a video game, it'll do its few seconds freeze about once an hour or so.

So I go to the ATI website to address the problem.  They gave me a link and told me to install the latest driver.  I do that, it installs and everything, and THEN it asks to RESTART.  I restart, and it boots up like normal, but right before my welcome screen turns on, the monitor goes black.  I hear the startup music, by my monitor tells me its going into sleep mode.

There's nothing I can do, so I restart my computer.  I press F8, start in Safe Mode, and restore my computer to before I installed the new driver, and it works again.  Can someone help me install the new driver, so my screen won't freeze anymore, and so it'll restart after installation without going black.  

ATI can't help me, so I need you.  Any takers?

Swampfox

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

Is your anti virus not running when you install? AV running will corrupt a graphics install..does your video card need its own power supply?

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:25:48 PM »

First off, was the card built by ati or a 3rd party using ati chip set?

If built by ati, most likely a corrupt install. Boot into safe mod remove all video related drivers. Reboot as normal, tell it not to install new hardware. Install latest drivers from ati. Before reboot make sure dx is at 9.0c or better.

If built by 3rd party, same as built by ati except goto their website and dl their latest drivers for the board.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Swampfox
Is your anti virus not running when you install? AV running will corrupt a graphics install..does your video card need its own power supply?

My antivirus is running, and yes it needs its own power supply so I plugged it in.

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead
First off, was the card built by ati or a 3rd party using ati chip set?

If built by ati, most likely a corrupt install. Boot into safe mod remove all video related drivers. Reboot as normal, tell it not to install new hardware. Install latest drivers from ati. Before reboot make sure dx is at 9.0c or better.

If built by 3rd party, same as built by ati except goto their website and dl their latest drivers for the board.

I'm pretty sure it was built by ATI - its a VisionTek XGE Radeon x1600.  When I boot into safe mode, how do I remove all video related drivers?  Dx is at 9.0c.  So then I restart again normally, install the drivers, and restart again?  I think that is what I've been doing, and that is when the screen goes black.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:09:32 PM by *MAFIA* Beetlejuice »

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »

you can either right click my computer, hit properties, then go to the hardware tab, then click on device manager, from there go to the display adapters section, click your video card that is installed, right click it, click uninstall....a nd voila drivers gone

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »

All right, I followed the directions PERFECTLY, and just like a predicted - same problem.  Once I uninstall, restart, install new drivers, and restart, the computer boots up fine like normal, until the welcome screen and music, then my monitor says "going to sleep" and shuts off.  PLEASE HELP.

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »

My grandfathers computer did the EXACT same thing...I updated the driver and then boom blank screen but as you said I could hear all the boot up noises and mouse clicks. I couldnt figure it out. I had to put my ego away and call the computer nerds at Best Buy. I wish I would have been there to watch him fix it but he said it took them about 20 minutes.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:30:13 PM »

Beetle you never answered me: is it made by ati? or a third party?

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »

What card do you have beetle?

Swampfox

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 05:50:24 AM »

Turn off your Antivirus, find a new connection to power the board, and redownload the drivers from the ATI website...Are you sure you are not using the drivers for Crossfire on the site? Which drivers are you using?

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 07:29:16 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead
Beetle you never answered me: is it made by ati? or a third party?

How do you tell?  The box says "VisionTek XGE ATI Radeon X1600XT, AGP 8x/4x Graphics by ATI 256MB"

Swampfox

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 07:39:16 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Beetlejuice
How do you tell?  The box says "VisionTek XGE ATI Radeon X1600XT, AGP 8x/4x Graphics by ATI 256MB"

Go to the VisionTek website( http://www.visiontek.com)...Find the drivers for that card( there should be multiple choices) and try them...Uninsta ll the card fully...Use these

Catalyst 6.12 Drivers - Windows XP / 2000 / Media Center Edition
Package Download

Ver.

Download

File Size

Date Posted

Notes
Dot Net Framework

Download

23.1MB

4/06/06

Required component for Full Driver Package

Full Driver Package

Download

41.1MB

12/31/06

Includes: Display driver, WDM, Catalyst Control Center

Note: Sometimes it is necessary to boot into safe mode and uninstall old drivers through add/remove programs in order for new drivers to work properly. If you have any questions, please check out our FAQ.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Beetlejuice

nice card, but u should have gone with Sapphire if it was gonna be a third party. But yeah, do u have the Catalyst program installed?

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 11:06:33 AM »

Well I had a Radeon 9600 or something like that for years, so I know whats up with them.  Yeah I had Catalyst 6.4 installed, the one that came on the CD with my card.  But since my screen started freezing, I went to the website to install the newest driver, and I've done everything I'm suppose to, but the screen just turns black on restart.  I went to Swamp's site as well, and did the virus thing.  Nothing works, always the same result.  I guess its off to Best Buy, this sucks.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »

You have a driver issue beetle. It sounds to me like you still have an old driver somewhere still being used.

Or the card has a defect, get another one.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 31 queries.