*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 12, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: power supply  (Read 5796 times)

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
power supply
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:14:40 PM »

So my computer keeps shutting off.  I am 98% sure it is my power supply.  Is there anyway I can be for sure?  Also can anyone point me in the right direction of getting a great power supply so my cp will stop shutting down.  I have a Dell XPS 720, just in case that matters. 

Hawaii-50

• Forum Member
  • Glitching Fool
    • View Profile
Re: power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »

So my computer keeps shutting off.  I am 98% sure it is my power supply.  Is there anyway I can be for sure?  Also can anyone point me in the right direction of getting a great power supply so my cp will stop shutting down.  I have a Dell XPS 720, just in case that matters. 

Here's some good deal's .......

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=32&name=Power-Supplies
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:46:59 PM by *MAFIA* Hawaii-50 »

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:03:41 PM »

If you still have the warranty from Dell, get them to replace it.

First step is to make sure that the inside of your computer is clean. Use an air duster and remove all the dust from the fans and stuff, including the power supply. Also, have you attempted to run a virus scan or something (if the comp lets you b4 it shuts off) to see if there is something nasty that makes it do that.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:08:48 PM »

If you still have the warranty from Dell, get them to replace it.

First step is to make sure that the inside of your computer is clean. Use an air duster and remove all the dust from the fans and stuff, including the power supply. Also, have you attempted to run a virus scan or something (if the comp lets you b4 it shuts off) to see if there is something nasty that makes it do that.
  My cp is only a couple months old and I clean it all the time.  I am real anal when it comes to my stuff.  I will call Dell, but I don't want to send my shit off to them.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »

I will call Dell, but I don't want to send my shit off to them.

Do not call the regular help number. There is a special number for customers who have XPS systems, which has better service than the line for regular people. If you call regular, you will prolly be on hold for a loooong time.

Better thing to do is use Dell Chat from their website. You'll be able to chat with someone and they can try to fix the problem, though they are not very good. Here is a tip: Don't let them decide what is wrong with your comp. You tell them that it is the power supply at fault, and it will be much easier for you to get a replacement. You don't have to send your comp back to Dell. If they send you a new power supply, you take the old one and put it back in the box it came in and send it back, and I'm pretty sure they pay for the shipping on the way back too. Before you do any of this, just make that they wont charge you, cuz they might accidentally do it.

Lightning

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »

The XPS systems are really a bit over done.  With an overclocked system, power is very critical.  I have built quite a few overclocked systems in my time, but I would have to agree with Roshan about trying to deal with Dell. But on the other hand I would be leary about wanting to replace a power supply on a system as old or should I say as young as yours.  I would think your gonna get the same junk.  If you do have to by one, it would be best to find out how big of a power supply you need.  I would think that it would be around a 1000W for an XPS system.  But I could be wrong.  Just off the top of my head this is the one I would look at getting to replace the one you have.  I am very partial to Antec because I have never had a problem with one!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 03:24:01 AM »

Doesn't Dell use a power supply that needs a "special" connection that after market PSUs don't have? The so called "Dell Proc Power2" connection... I would check into that before pointing him to a PSU that could not work in that machine. I could be wrong, but again check to make sure.

In any case, going to Dell is the best bet to have the computer repaired, after all you paid big bucks for that thing so use the warranty it came with.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »

maybe clean the mother fucker? 2005 to 2008 is 3 years, i bet the fucker has an inch of dust on the heat sinks, vents, fans. you have a heating issue...

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:44:20 AM »

maybe clean the mother fucker? 2005 to 2008 is 3 years, i bet the fucker has an inch of dust on the heat sinks, vents, fans. you have a heating issue...
  UMMMM, are you talking to me??  I just got this cp about 4-6 months ago, and I clean it every week.  I am far from dirty. 

anyKey

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »

But how does the shutdown look like? Does it play any sound or beep, or is the shutdown preceded by any message or unusual action?

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »

But how does the shutdown look like? Does it play any sound or beep, or is the shutdown preceded by any message or unusual action?
  It just shuts down.  No error code or blue screen or nothing.  I think it may be a virus or something.  It only does it when i am logged onto the net.  I am going to reformat tonight and see how things go. 

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »

It just shuts down.  No error code or blue screen or nothing.  I think it may be a virus or something.  It only does it when i am logged onto the net.  I am going to reformat tonight and see how things go. 

That's a dead give-away right there. Nasty Malware.

Format = Solution

*MAFIA* MAGGOT

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
  • OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »

I am far from dirty. 
You would like us to think that wouldn't you?!?!?!?

"At some point in their lives, 1 in 6 children will be abducted by the dutch." ~The fact core, Portal 2.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html , learn it, use it, love it.

anyKey

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »

Don't make format. Fight to the last drop of blood. Do those things:

1. Download Ad-Aware 2008 (really helpful program for removing malware/adware, saved my butt several times, some ppl like Spybot, but I preffer this one) and Kaspersky 2009 Trial (in many tests it is recommended as the most effective anti virus, personally I use this one and I am satisfied)
(both are free, at least for 30 days, lol)

2. Update bases for both of them - it's also free.

3. Disconnect your comp from the internet

4. Use "emergency mode" option (press F8 when codepage appears and select it in menu) - emergency option is needed to prevent this "thing" in your filesystem from disturbing access to registry.

5. Go to Run and start regedit

6. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MAC HINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key and then to HKEY_CURRENT_U SER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run paste here the screenshot showing what entries are there.

7. Tell me what do you have in "Autostart", "Startup" or whatever it is called in your lang ver. of windows

8. Run Windows again, this time in normal mode. Run Ad-Aware, go to "scan" section and select "smart scan". It's really useful option that avoids scanning the whole filesystem, but reveals most common "bitches" inside your machine.

9, After scanning with ad-aware (neutralise all threats, if it discovers any) run Kaspersky 2009 scanning to clean up everything else.

10. When KAV finishes his job, delete all temp files from webbrowsers.

That is the most effective way to get rid of most common, unwanted software.

If you post those screens from registry, we might solve the problem w/o scanning, cause there are many vaccinations designed for specified, one type of virus.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:11:28 PM by anyKey »

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.