*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 07, 2024, 11:55:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: My Video card  (Read 3763 times)

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« on: January 07, 2006, 03:22:45 PM »

ok, got my computer running and everything, all the fans work and stuff, but i plugged in the monitor and ... nothing. ive called tech support 2 times allready and im on hold with them right now, but my question is what does it sound like is wrong? One of the tech guys told me even if it was the video card that was defective, i should still see something on the screen, but the screen doesnt even seem to get a signal, I've tried many different things like sticking the Card in the PCIE-16-2 slot instead of the PCIE-16-1 slot but still doesnt work, i have no idea what to do. So does the problem sound like a motherboard problem a video card problem, or something else? and i will take any suggestions on what to do as well.

Missa

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »

I don't know shit about the internal workings of computer towers so I'm just throwing out ideas.  Are you sure it's not the monitor?  You could always check the pins on the monitor's connection cord, make sure one isn't broken off... Does it work with another tower?  Oh... and, did you remember to plug in the power cord to the monitor?  That always helps. :)

Koekiemonster

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »

Did you maybe put your monitorplug in the original input instead
of the one on your videocard Blakjax??

Loaded

My Video card
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 07:06:54 PM »

Give us the full details (makers/type) of what you have (even links would be nice), mother board, video card and PSU <--- I bet you do NOT have the power to be running a SLI board. You should be running 2 rails of 12 volts at 18amps each. No it dosen't matter that at this time you are only running one video card... North and South bridge take big time power.

NOTE yes I know you have specs somewhere on the forum, it just would be nice to see the specs here.

Also if your card IS bad, NO you would NOT see anything on the screen.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 10:08:25 PM »

ok here are my specs loaded:

HD 160GB SATA2
AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB
mushkin 1GB (1g x1)114Pin memory
Gigabyte mobo with SLi technology(even though most of u think its sucks)
BFG 7800gt 256mb PCI-E
Coolmaster case
XION 500w PCI-E x2 power supply

obviously the powersupply is good enough, it is made for SLi, o ya and i have tried 2 different moniters, also the pins are good. I have all the cords hooked up, except one... it looks like a Fan plug, like the one for the CPU fan, also there are 3 pins on the plug but the middle pin is not there, and i have no idea where to plug that in, also one pin has KSP on it and the other pin has  2510 on it. http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-K8N%20Pro-SLI.htm <- my motherboard

http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GT_256_PCIX.html <- videocard

nightsaber

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 11:31:09 PM »

A. yeah gigabyte boards kinda suck, but ive used em heh..
b. have you tried sticking a different card in your pcie slots to test that? an older vid card, sound card etc..
c. are you sure the monitor works well? have you tried it on a diff comp?
d. have you booted your comp with the case off..to see if the fan on the video card is working? assuming it has one..even if your not getting a pic, usually your fan works, letting you know its at least getting power to it.
aside from that..your video card could be just plain not compatible with that particular board :( happens on rare occasions. hope it was a bit helpfull

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 12:27:32 AM »

Quote from: nightsaber
A. yeah gigabyte boards kinda suck, but ive used em heh..
b. have you tried sticking a different card in your pcie slots to test that? an older vid card, sound card etc..
c. are you sure the monitor works well? have you tried it on a diff comp?
d. have you booted your comp with the case off..to see if the fan on the video card is working? assuming it has one..even if your not getting a pic, usually your fan works, letting you know its at least getting power to it.
aside from that..your video card could be just plain not compatible with that particular board :( happens on rare occasions. hope it was a bit helpfull

actually did u read any of my posts? lol not to be mean but that didnt help at all...

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
My Video card
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 01:49:22 AM »

When you power it on does cmos beep? if so what is the code or if you have audio alerts what do they say.

in most cases I have seen with video cards if the card is getting power hence the fan turning if one is on the card or wait a while and see if the heatsink gets warm then the card is getting power.

then you either have not properly set the video card or the card is doa.

Loaded

My Video card
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 08:01:39 AM »

OK... Power... Looking at the board pic it isn't easy to see if there is a 4 pin (straight) plug on that board, is there (possible you don't have it because you do NOT have a North or south bridge that needs that extra power)? If there is do you have that plugged in? At the top of the board you will see a 4 pin (square) plug, do you have that plugged in? On your video card there is a 6 pin (square) plug, do you have that plugged in?

Jumpers... Make sure ALL USB jumpers are set to OFF (set to off not taken off the board). "Most" new mobos have a USB "wake up" and if you don't have anything in the usb port to wake the computer up it is possible you will boot up but NOT see anything on the screen.

Video card... Your should be in PCIe slot "1" (closes to CPU) with the SLI switch/card ( flipped to "what ever it says for one card"). PULL the card out and reset it AGAIN in slot 1, maybe you just didn't have the card set. Look down at the gold contacts and make sure they are all even with the pci slot form left to right. If you see them going up from left to right or right to left the card is NOT in all the way.

Beeps on boot... IF there is a problem you should be getting beeps of some sort. Normal operation should be one beep or even maybe 2 that's it. If you are hearing beeps like ***/* * * */ *** and so on then you have a hardware problem of some sort. So we need the info on beep sounds if you have any.

Now  you can try this right now... 1st clear the cmos, in your book you will see how to do that with a jumper. Unplug your hard drive (that's right unplug the hard drive), unplug you CD/DVD, unplug your mouse, remove ALL PCI cards (NOT video card) and remove "1" stick of ram, in other words just have your keyboard and video card hooked up to the mother board, that's it. Now, boot the computer and see if you get a screen then, if you do you just found out a few things, you have all power plugs on, your video card is NOT bad, so on and so on. WAIT, WAIT read >>>> After power on if you see that screen you are NOW going to get beeps because you have your hard drive out and you have no mouse, so now turn the computer off and hook up your hard drive, reboot again, see where I am going here? So just start adding things back to the computer one by one until you have no screen again, that part you just put in is your problem (just maybe it is your cd/dvd drive).

Well that should get you started, let us know.

Loaded

My Video card
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »

Did you try anything yet?

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »

Quote from: Loaded
Did you try anything yet?

yes i did, i did everything you said, and nothing, BTW i dont get what you mean by the pins going up from left to right or right to left, could u explain that a little more? BTW thanks for all the help

Loaded

My Video card
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »

You did everything I asked? You reset the Bios? You removed everything, then added them back one by one? What about beeps? There HAS to be post beeps to say something is wrong.

About the pins, well I guess I really can't say it better (my fault) just make sure the card is seated into the slot evenly.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
My Video card
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »

Dude your card is most likely bad...

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 02:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Loaded
You did everything I asked? You reset the Bios? You removed everything, then added them back one by one? What about beeps? There HAS to be post beeps to say something is wrong.

About the pins, well I guess I really can't say it better (my fault) just make sure the card is seated into the slot evenly.

well first off, the beeps are fine, it only beeps once, when i read the manual of my mobo, it says that means the computer is running successfully. when i put the video card in PCIE-16-2 the beeps go: beeeeeeep..... ..beep, beep  <(sry i dont know the beeping code lol) this means that the something is wrong with the monitor or video card so the manual tells me, and yes i did reset the CMOS, the reason i am making sure its the videocard and not the mobo, is because i dont want to send in my videocard then get a new one and have that not work because my mobo is bad, so i need to make sure first. im so fucking tired of shipping shit, first they sent me the wrong graphix card, so i had to send that back, then they sent me a bad PS got a new one, and now this. i guess thats the risk when builing custom, and buying online ey?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:53:20 PM by *MAFIA* ßlÃ¥kjáx »

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
My Video card
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 06:52:30 PM »

also i cleared the CMOS, why would i reset the BIOS, i dont know how first of all, and second, i havent even got the comp working to put anything on the BIOS, so did u realy mean BIOS loaded?

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 28 queries.