*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 03, 2024, 06:31:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 11302 times)

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »

Over the past few years I have faded from my Christian beliefs. I believed the exact same thing Beatle has spoken. But ever since a few months ago when I started studying all the other "possible" (or so they call it) ways this world and everything in it was created I cannot believe that we are part of some random, incredibly spectacular display of chance. There is no math to it. The human (and like all animals) cells are incredibly complex (enormous understatement), and that's just the beginning.

I recently watch a movie concerning Christian beliefs but its aim was to scientifically prove Darwin (and other theories on the creation of man) wrong. There were moments that made you scratch your head but at one point it was explained that Darwin's theory has been drastically reduced to a mathematical phenomenon beyond comprehension. If any of this seems even a bit curious to you I highly recommend watching this one chapter in the series The Truth Project. http://www.thetruthproject.org/

I believe its on chapter 5, part. 2.... Here is a link to the preview: http://fotf.cdnetworks.net/truthproject/wmv/lesson5b_teaser.wmv

Head Hunter

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »

We've been through this discussion in more threads than one.  I usually try to stay out simply because it turns into a big joke.  Anyway - I'm a Christian.  I believe in the bible.  It's a very long book with many chapters and pages.  Do I know everything in it?  No.  Do I follow everything in it?  I try, but being human, I am NOT perfect and come up short.  I believe that I sin, as well as non-Christians.  I don't think I'm greater or better than anybody else.  The difference between me and the majority of you here is that I believe in Jesus Christ and through Him I have eternal life.  I try to live my life based on the example He set in the new testament.  There's much more to get in to, but I'm not trying to argue with you guys or prove you wrong or me right.  It's just a personal decision we all have to make.  If you have questions, you can read the bible or I can try to answer...

+1

Corona

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 08:07:27 AM »

religion is for feeble minded fucks who feels that if they pray to someone that all the wrong they have done will be taken away because someone died for you.  Almost like the fucking suicide bombers when they blow themselves up they feel like they are doing good for their cause.  Beatle, why not go blow yourself up and you will do the rest of the world good because you are a creep who prays on little boys.   

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »

Hmm ok I misinterpreted, my fault.

Edit: Oh and they have full potential to not be "pointless debates". If you open your mind, and maybe try to learn something, they can be useful. I spend a lot of my time in religious debates, and instead of pushing my beliefs, I listen to others, so that I get a better perspective of the other side. It allows one to be well versed all around. A great man once said, "I wish closed minds came with closed mouths".

It's cool, I'm sure if I continue on I will misinterpret as well.

Yes they can be interesting discussions, you are correct, but here what I've generally found in the past is that a few people end up ruining it.  I have an open mind, trust me, that's how I got to what I believe now.  I was actually on your side of the "debate" until I was almost 19 years old.  If I've come off as "I'm right and youre wrong, I'm not going to listen to you," then I apologize.  I definitely know of Christians who kinda refuse to listen to anything but their own beliefs and it's annoying.  But at this point I'm just going to sit back and let others chime in, as to try not to dominate the thread.  You asked what we believe and why, and I've answered.  I said if you have questions I'll TRY to answer.  Until next time...

The Bible is split up into 2 parts, the New and Old Testament, right? But I've noticed that many people only follow one version. If they follow only one part, then how can they consider themselves following the Bible since they would only be reading half of the stuff?

If you are following the New Testament, why do people refer to phrases from the Old Testament when certain issues come up? For example on homosexuality, they use stuff from the Old in an argument but then ignore everything else?

Why do people pick and choose what they want to believe/preach from either testament? I know there's some stuff like you can't work on Sunday, eat shellfish, and that women must be under the command of men. But then people ignore that stuff but continue preaching other parts (like that homosexuality bits).

I can tell you what the bible says and what most Christians generally believe, although you probably won't understand it and ask more questions, which is fine.  Or you will understand it and just say it's silly (I've said the same).  The only other option is to understand it and believe it.  I'm just basing this on past discussions with other non-beleivers.  I guess that's the same reaction people have to ALL religions, not just Christianity - either they think it's crazy and they have a negative attitude towards it, or they are respectful towards it but simply do not agree with it or believe it, or they understand it and do believe it.  Anyway, like I said to Dymdez, I'm going to chill for a while.

Dymdez

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »

Beatlejuice, I still love you  :-*

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »

Kind of Catholic, but more Taoism since its apparently considered a religion. I see no need to religion, so I don't really consider myself Catholic apart from going to church every Sunday.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »

If I'm a good person for my time here on earth, I find it hard to believe that a higher power would cast me into a lake of eternal hellfire just because I didn't read a book or go to church. So I'd just rather be a decent human being and hope for the best instead of aligning myself to one religion or the other.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

I'm not a religious person. Infact I only thought about it as causing more harm than good at one time. Then it hit me. Who just want's good? Without religion what kind of boring Hell would I actually be living in at the moment? I wanna argue with taxi drivers, watch debates on tv, live during wars, feel the atmosphere of conflict, hate people and watch all the movies. 90% of humans history on Earth is involved with some argument to do with religion. If there were no religion and some kinda revolutionary globalised idealogy where everyone somehow lives in peace and got along I think I'd get bored. So controversiall y I'm all for it and the more radical the better.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »

I'm not a religious person. Infact I only thought about it as causing more harm than good at one time. Then it hit me. Who just want's good? Without religion what kind of boring Hell would I actually be living in at the moment? I wanna argue with taxi drivers, watch debates on tv, live during wars, feel the atmosphere of conflict, hate people and watch all the movies. 90% of humans history on Earth is involved with some argument to do with religion. If there were no religion and some kinda revolutionary globalised idealogy where everyone somehow lives in peace and got along I think I'd get bored. So controversiall y I'm all for it and the more radical the better.

*MAFIA* KaMiKaZe JaP

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »

According to that graph, the height of Roman Scientific Advancement was when Rome was Christian. The argument is flawed as illiterate, pagan warlords from the north (Franks, Visigoths) began extending their lands south as the Roman Empire weakened until it finally imploded. IIRC, the Germanic tribes sought to rid Christianity (or they didn't really care about it), until whats-his-face of the Franks converted to Christianity to gain more control over his people and to inspire more moral out of his troops. Anyhow, long story short, Christianity did not create the dark ages (directly), it was the new uneducated overlords of Europe and also the destruction of the status quo/Pax Romana that was in Europe for almost 500 years. Christianity did, however, cause the dark ages to be extended as it put this mindset in people: God > survival > everything else. Also, much of Renaissance science can be attributed to scientists feeling it would help them better understand how God works, that is minus the humanists.

IronMan

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 03:28:13 AM »

If people didnt care so much about religion 2000 years ago then maybe we would have come further in technology and such

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:32 AM »

If people didnt care so much about religion 2000 years ago then maybe we would have come further in technology and such
But that's ignorant, Islam throughout the 7nd century up until western imperialism encouraged Muslims to seek knowledge and expand on existing ones. The dark ages were only dark for Europe.

IronMan

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »

But that's ignorant, Islam throughout the 7nd century up until western imperialism encouraged Muslims to seek knowledge and expand on existing ones. The dark ages were only dark for Europe.

and what has the middle east contributed with the last 200 years? umm nothing

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »

and what has the middle east contributed with the last 200 years? umm nothing
Because Western imperialism coupled with increased hate amongst its sub-religion ruined the area. Without the Muslims, science might not have become as advanced as it has.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 27 queries.