*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 15, 2024, 11:21:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: new problem with my computer!  (Read 4037 times)

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Re: new problem with my computer!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »

wow, even my bios limited dell shows

primary: blah
secondary: blah
primary: blah
secondary: blah

And some will only shit it on the bios boot screen, turn fast boot off and have the system check all on boot.

when you see the info you want press pause on the keyboard. but pawpaw knew that :D

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 11:56:26 PM »

i guess i'll be in the market for an IDE compatible burner then, I'd like a dual layer one, relatively cheap. Probably newegg has the best prices, right?
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

Loaded

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 04:52:57 AM »

Yes... Newegg is the best bet. Try to see if you can find something with a burning program included, like NERO (retail, NOT oem). If you want LightScripe, then is one IMO can't be beat Lite-On 20x LH-20A1H, it dose have black and white faces if you are worried about color.

Lite-On WebSite for above.

Also there has been a misunderstandi ng about the bios. What I was trying to say is that the bios will not let you know if you have your DVD/CD setup as a "slave" (secondary), meaning YES you could have it as a slave (secondary) and the bios will let you know that postion, but if you do not have the jumpers on the drive in the right place for the DVD to work correctly, bios will NOT tell you.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »

Gotcha, i sort of understood your explanation about the whole BIOS thing, but since i lack jumpers, i didn't bother trying (also i didn't know how to do it in the first place).

That one you posted looked like a pretty sweet deal, but is that brand very reputable? I've never heard of it, which doesn't mean much, but just wondering if it's a good brand to settle on since i'm going to be doing DVD burning pretty often (burning legal legit copies of movies we own of course).

Didn't you say you can only use light scribe burners with light scribe discs? Or does it allow non-LightScribe discs to be burned also?

I read some of the user comments, and i'm not too confident about actually installing the drive. Is it relatively simple? If not, i can always take it to my asian friend's house, he installs shit loads of this kind of stuff.

Once you reply to this i'll hit up newegg and send off the funds for a drive.

Loaded

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 04:22:04 PM »

I feel lite-on is pretty good, I have a Ben-Q drive in my computer and lite-on makes (now if lite-on is made by someone else I'm not sure) that drive. You could go with a Sony, Phillips, HP (makers of LightScripe) and so on, its up to you. The only thing that had me wonder about my drive is that the green light was always on, well unknown to me at the time, the green light means there is a disk in the drive when on all the time,,, green light flashes when reading, red light flashes when burning.

What I was saying about LightScripe is, IF you want a LightScripe ready disk then your options are limited, meaning if you want to label the disk. You can still use "most" other disks out there, but no LightScripe label... Good old marker will do ya  ;) .

Putting in a drive is a simple task. Another reason (plus getting NERO) why I wanted you to get "retail" and not OEM, retail comes with instructions, OEM dose not. Once you open the case and see how the old drive is installed, just remove that one and install the new. Just make SURE to check that the drive is in SLAVE if the cable also goes to your hard drive... Don't worry the instructions will give you all that info.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »

okay, sounds good. I just spoke to the asian friend, just to make sure, i'll have him do it. I'm going with the one you linked, couldn't find any other brands that were IDE and had DL capabilities. Thanks for the info, hopefully i'll be burning in no time.

btw, the nero that it comes with is a trial, not full version.

Loaded

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 05:07:21 PM »

My Nero "6" was trial as well, but I was able to hit the update in "smartstart" and it made it full, this was over a year ago. Point, update it when you 1st get it and maybe yours will be full as well. Possible I got full from the update because 7 was coming out, not sure, but now NERO 8 is out so you could get get the free deal like I did.

I wanted to post some links for you to look at, but I forgot...

http://www.cdfreaks.com (very big forums) 

http://www.burnworld.com 

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd (allot about different media that you can use)

http://www.nero.com

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »

i checked those sites, and Pioneer seems to be a pretty reputable brand, CDfreaks.com mention them a bit. They have one, but as i was reading the customer comments on newegg.com, someone mentioned the same problem i had, they said...

"Couldn't get windows to burn CD's and DVD's for some reason. So bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 for cheap and works fine."

They also couldn't get windows to burn a disc, but then they installed some software and it worked. Maybe i should get the trial software of nero and test it out on my machine to see if my burner isn't as fucked up as i thought it was.

Loaded

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 04:48:59 AM »

This is what I have been telling from the start, you need a program to burn. I have NEVER been able to use Windows to burn to a "DVD", maybe it would work for CDs, but I don't use CD to save files.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »

I've tried using both CD's and DVD's with the windows burning on my other computer and it works great, it's how i saved a hard copy of Forgotten Hope (1.7gigs) so i wouldn't have to re-download it later.

What would be a good free program to test this out then? Nero only has bullshit trial stuff, Roxio seems to leave spamware on your comp after you un-install...are there any good ones out there that happen to be freeware?

Loaded

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »

Have you taken a good look at http://www.burnworld.com that I posted above for something free?

I'll take a look at a few things and if I find something that will work well for you I will post it over at our other site...

Never mind check for a PM.

EDIT... On 2nd thought I think it would be best for you to go to our other site for info, I did send you a PM pointing to the thread.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 04:43:05 PM by *MAFIA* Loaded »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 03:14:58 AM »

ZOMG LOADED IT WORKED!

I now have nero 7, and it burned a data DVD perfectly! No flaws at all, and now i have all of my Forgotten Hope files backed up, just in case my comp crashes, god forbid!

Now just to test if it will successfully burn "movies that i have purchased and am making a back-up copy." I'll let you know how that turns out soon...waiting for next netflix.

Now got to kick down some bucks for a dual layer disc and see if i can cram 9 gigs or however much data can be stored on one of those bad boys.

Thanks so much loaded, seriously no one ever lasts this long when giving me tech advice, not even the dell support guys. Oh yeah, and that "link" that you sent worked fine, the download speed dropped down to 0.9 kb/sec at one point, but then at around 2 am it crept up to 182 kb/sec, so had it done in no time.

Loaded

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 04:54:51 AM »

Happy to help. See that is what is nice about dealing with a old man with nothing to do... I have nothing but time, or what is left of it  :P

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 29 queries.