*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 12, 2024, 11:11:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Setup a Linux Server BOX  (Read 1731 times)

Toblerone

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Setup a Linux Server BOX
« on: September 04, 2005, 11:31:53 AM »

Linux server box tutorial with UBUNTU
Getting your box ready for install:
Go into your system BIOS, (accessable at boot with something like f2 or del key.) Set your cd drive as the primary boot device if it isnt already. Also if you have onboard graphics set their system usage all the way down to something like 8mb of memory...its all command line and you barely need any graphics capability at all, thats right ALL command line...get used to it. Once that is done you are ready to install UBUNTU Linux.
Getting an UBUNTU disk:
Ubuntu is an absolutely free operating system. They will EVEN ship the disks to you at no cost. They even pay shipping. But if you dont want to wait a week to get your disk I suggest you download an ISO image and burn it to a blank disk. Just as easy...but faster.
Go Here... and under "Install CD" (NOT live cd!) select your system architechture. ..which is most likely gonna be the fist one, i386.
Once you have downloaded the ISO file use your favorite CD burner to burn it to a disk...make sure to use the ISO burn system...and not just copy the ISO file to the disk...there is a difference.
Installing UBUNTU:
Place the disk in your disk drive and reboot the computer. You will get a fancy little boot screen with the ubuntu logo on it. NOTE: We only want the BASE install...so instead of just hitting enter...type "server" (without the quotes) and hit the return key. You will be taken through a semi-GUI installer. Pretty easy to follow. And you should be done with the install in anywhere from 10-45 minutes...Depe nding on your system.
It will ask you to remove the cd and reboot...Do so, and let it go through its initial startup process (it will configure packages for your computer.) Once this is done you will login with the username and password you gave it and VOILA...you have a nice little UBUNTU server.
Accessing your server remotely:
Installing the SSH server, (how you will connect remotely) on ubuntu is rediculously easy. While the system is booted up and logged in. Simply put the UBUNTU disk in the disk drive and enter this command:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install ssh

Simple as that...enter your account password and say yes to the "are you sure..." and it is installed and running.

I suggest putty ssh as a client on your desktop computer.

There you have it boys and girls...a very easy way to get a linux server setup and running in less than an hour...Enjoy.. .and post here for any technical problems you may have. Me or Rahl will try to help you in any way we can.

I will make different threads on how to install an ftp server...game servers...etc. ..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:02:06 PM by *MAFIA* Phantom »

Rahl

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Setup a Linux Server BOX
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 02:42:11 PM »

The first of many tutorials, I would reckon.  How sexy is apt-get, seriously?

Oh, nice sig by the way.

Toblerone

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Setup a Linux Server BOX
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 03:03:34 PM »

Extremely sexy...and thank you.

wow101

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Setup a Linux Server BOX
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 10:02:57 PM »

I was installing the Unbutu Server, following your instructions, i have a question, Should i install bootable Unbutu on my hardrive? and also How do i start the server from Windows Xp? i was wondering if i can have my windows and server on the same computer and use them both at once.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Setup a Linux Server BOX
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:43 PM »

Sure you can all ya gotta do is put some used panties on your head and chant "Lindows lindows lindows..." untill the system starts up in lindows mode! there ya go an easy way to do it :)

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
Setup a Linux Server BOX
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 12:55:58 AM »

hahahahaha. lindows. where can i buy that.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.