*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 15, 2024, 10:26:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: overheating issues  (Read 4129 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
overheating issues
« on: July 30, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »

just got bf2 on my comp and i now have 1.5 gigs of ram, runs bf2 with everything set on full like a champ. One problem, my screen started changing colors after 3 hours of playing. I was at my friends house, he's a really smart computer tech head kind of guy, and he saw my screen and screamed "SHUT IT OFF NOW!"

so we went into catalyst control center and BIOS to check my graphics card temp, it was 76 degrees celsius. He said i was lucky it didn't melt down completely through the case. It's surprisingly resilient to still work after that extreme heat wave, but i was wondering, how can i fix this?

He told me to call who i ordered it from, i was on hold for 35 minutes then hung up. I  sent them an email asking for two 80mm fans or one 120mm fan because there's a fan cut-out in the front of my case, but no fan there. Also a bit of important info, the graphics card is in the Bottom Most PCIE slot and the slot above it is empty. My friend said to move the card up one slot and there shouldn't be any problems, but it's so damn big that i don't think it would fit without moving my card reader thing.

I'll include a pic of it's arrangement, any help would be appreciated. If i have to buy some fans and install them, any tips or instructions would also be appreciated.

Also, it has 3 case fans, and one fan for the power supply thingy.

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sidekh3.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontao2.jpg
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 04:26:39 PM by *MAFIA* Wasserfaller »
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
Re: overheating issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »

dude try moving up it to the first pci-e slot, from what i know, i would mainly use the second slot for crossfire

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »

Yea try moving it up to the highest slot.  That's usually where all primary video cards are set in.

It's a good idea to have a fan in the front because then it creates a sort of a cross-breeze through the system.  It's never a good idea to have more intake than outtake fans, and vice-versa.

Did the company overclock before they sent it to you?

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »

it's not overclocked, it's just a bad ass mofo that needs more air. You don't understand though, i am TERRIFIED of moving it to the top PCIE slot, i just KNOW i'm going to break off some essential piece of my motherboard in the process and cause a fire or something. I might just stay away from playing any high end games for the moment, until i can get this comp over to an azn's house, or one of my comp literate friends.

On a side note, i can't open the catalyst control center anymore, i'm gonna try reinstalling graphics drivers.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »

it's real easy wasser, unlock the slot, and take off the screw from the case attached to the card, pull it out, might be kinda tough to take out, and bam, it's all set, then putting it on is easier you just pop it in, until it clicks, and make sure all the pins are in the slot and not showing, meaning make sure the whole card is in the slot

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 05:37:34 PM »

i already opened up the case earlier and pulled the  card out, it's just if i move it to the next higher slot, i would have to punch out those metal slots, know what i mean? Those metal slots that let my HDMI/VGA outputs go through the case, i'm afraid of punching those out.

Also, there's a "filler" that goes in the top PCIE slot just to occupy the space, should i put the "Filler" card into the bottom slot once i switch them?

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:26:36 PM »

you can, but yeah don't be scared wasser, just pop that mofo slot out

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 08:56:54 PM »

what about that "filler" thing that goes in place in the empty slot? Should i move it down to the bottom slot because that one will be empty? I've never done this before, i don't want to break anything.

Also, is there any other program that can tell me the temp of my graphics card?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:30:28 PM by *MAFIA* Wasserfaller »

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »

Also, is there any other program that can tell me the temp of my graphics card?

Download ATI Tray Tools

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »

Lol @ ATI. I overclocked my 8800GTS before I ordered casefans, and it got up to 78 degrees C, no problem at all..

Now I installed 2 casefans and one new CPU cooler and my temperatures have dropped alot :)

Move the videocard up one slot, and install them casefans! Its always good, even though you aren't overclocking, it will make sure that your hardware doesn't get overheated so it will increase the lifetime (or at least not decrease it too much lol)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »

it has 3 case fans in it already, and they work. Then there's the powersupply fan and the CPU fan. It should be circulating air pretty well as it is....and then there's the big ass heat sink and fan on the graphics card itself.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/378/ati_radeon_x1950.jpg

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 01:05:04 AM »

Well did you switch slots yet? And also, are you sure the fan on your videocard is actually working?

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:30:24 AM »

Lol @ ATI. I overclocked my 8800GTS before I ordered casefans, and it got up to 78 degrees C, no problem at all..

Now I installed 2 casefans and one new CPU cooler and my temperatures have dropped alot :)

We know u nigga richbag saddlesore.   but does it help him? no!    a computer from that site is not gonna come without fans.  he says he already has 3.

rofl, silly boe.

if you're really not sure about moving the card up, ask a friend to do it for you, cuz it's gonna make sounds that you will think are breaking, but it's not.  same principle goes for installing RAM.

also. did u try the ATI tools program?  i dont have an ATI so i dont know for sure, but its a  good program.  tell me if it doesnt work and i'll try to find another one.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »

76c? that is a good temp for a game. But still 76c is kinda high to what you are doing so are you sure that was the cards temp? My system is the newer BTX so the cards sit upright, and prevents the heat from passing through the cards pcb (the board) Heat rises and tends to keep the card hotter upside down.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 12:18:59 PM »

lol, i switched ram on my friends computer before and he was sure i had broken it. That ATI Tools program was neat i guess, but i couldn't find out where to find the temp of my card.

Yes bone, i'm sure it was the cards temp, i checked it in the catalyst control center. And the card fan works too.

I haven't switched it yet, i'm going to have a friend do it for me.

Also,  i don't think 76 degrees celsius is good for a game, that's almost 170 degrees Fahrenheit.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.