*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 16, 2024, 03:10:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Televesion  (Read 5276 times)

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Televesion
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

Okay, so I am going to buy a PS3 game console. I currently have a 20" tube television. I want to have a much better gaming experience with the PS3 graphics and quality, so I am deciding which kind of new television I am going to buy, so I can do so. I have sort of a small budget, so yeah. What kind do you guys suggest, size and all as well. I have seen a couple of projection televisions that are like 54" big for around only $200, they are huge and look awesome, but I hear you have to replace "bulbs" or something regualry, and they cost a heap load. But yeah...

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Televesion
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:42:03 AM »

Those projection tv's are terrible for quality. Whenever I go to the pub to watch a football match they have those things and you have to set them up so far back people inevitably always walk infront and cast shadows which gets really annoying.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:00:48 AM »

I agree with Dune.  I have one and it just sits in my basement right now collecting dust.  I am giving it to my soon to be ex wife, because I went out and bought a 50 inch plasma.  That is what you need to get.  Did you say that you only have $200 to spend?  HMMM, go to rent-a-center and get one from them.  LOL.  It may take you 5 years and $20k to pay it off, but you will have a great picture. 

Loaded

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:12:35 AM »

Where have you seen a projection tv for $200? On the street maybe?

LCD is the best way to go on a small budget. Problem is in that price range you are stuck in the 19" wide screen range. Around $400 is when you will start seeing the 23" wide screens.

For 200, I would stick with a tubed TV... The price wouldn't get you no where near the best, but you should be able to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a 27" with the money you have to spend.

How about this... What are you using for a monitor on your computer? For way under 200 you could get a TV tuner for your computer. Or if a Tuner isn't needed to hook the PS3 up, then go get yourself a 22" LCD
Just some to look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+4018+1309822582&name=22%22

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »

Sorry for the mis-information, I have more than $200 to spend, I just said that's how much the projection cost. I was looking on Craigslist around my area, and ran into some for very low cost. I just do NOT want to spend anymore than $1000. I think LCD is the best way to go as well, plasma too, but they get pricy fast. Let me get this stright, I can buy a computer monitor for the PS3? If so, wouldn't that be the best route, since they aren't so expensive, and pretty decent?

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »

Sorry for the mis-information, I have more than $200 to spend, I just said that's how much the projection cost. I was looking on Craigslist around my area, and ran into some for very low cost. I just do NOT want to spend anymore than $1000. I think LCD is the best way to go as well, plasma too, but they get pricy fast. Let me get this stright, I can buy a computer monitor for the PS3? If so, wouldn't that be the best route, since they aren't so expensive, and pretty decent?
  Read this before you buy anything.  Maybe it might help you if you go the monitor route.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=2128684

and this:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2366331

and this:

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=289253

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:30:26 PM »

Check pages 1,2,3,4 of this.

If any price or specific product appeals to you, post the link here and I'll see if it's good or not.

For under a $1000, the biggest size you will get is about 40-42 inches. Anything bigger than that and you will go above a $1000.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:32:06 PM by *MAFIA* Roshan »

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 12:32:10 PM »

Okay, sounds good... I can buy a pretty decent computer monitor and use the PS3 on it, I understand how that works now. Another question, is there any way I could also use that same computer monitor to watch the television on? I mean, the montior would NOT be connected to my PC, it would be used as if it were an actual t.v. I highly doubt both can be done, but just curious. I think I am better off just buying a LCD television fron like BestBuy or something.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:55:05 PM by *MAFIA* Pr0d1gY »

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »

Another question, is there any way I could also use that same computer monitor to watch the television on? I mean, the montior would NOT be connected to my PC, it would be used as if it were an actualy t.v.

If you have a cable box or satellite receiver, you can get a component cable that connects from your box to the monitor. Make sure that the monitor has those inputs otherwise you're going to have to use converters, which kinda suck.

Component Cable - Red + Green + Blue = Component  (RGB)

DVI

HDMI

You can also get a DVI to HDMI converter and vice versa, but if you go HDMI to DVI, that's kinda downgrading since HDMI has a better quality that DVI.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:05:01 PM by *MAFIA* Roshan »

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 01:10:40 PM »

I have a Direct TV reciever box... So I can use cables that will go from that box to the monitor? Also, how can I connect the PS3 so I can use that also? I read up on something that I can get a TV tuner box or something so you can watch TV and use DVD players or console games and shit... Any clarification? Are the TV tuner boxes different than the box I have?

Loaded

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »

Don't forget one thing when making your decision, Sound.

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »

Yeah I know, I think you can just buy speakers and plug them into something... This shit is so confusing! I just want to use a computer monitor as a televeision and screen to play games on...

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »

I have a Direct TV reciever box... So I can use cables that will go from that box to the monitor? Also, how can I connect the PS3 so I can use that also? I read up on something that I can get a TV tuner box or something so you can watch TV and use DVD players or console games and shit... Any clarification? Are the TV tuner boxes different than the box I have?

If your Direct TV box has the same outputs as the inputs on your monitor do, then it would work.  The monitor should have more than one connection, so you can have your Direct TV and PS3 hooked up at the same time, just like a regular TV where you have like a DVD player and VCR and other stuff all hooked up at the same time.  This is why you first need to select a model you like and then tell me, and I'll look up the available inputs that it has. Then you can compare it to your Direct TV box and PS3 inputs and see if it matches or if you're missing something crucial in it.

The TV tuner card is so that you can watch TV through your computer. People use it for media centers and stuff like that so that they can record shows on to their computer harddrive.  The box that you have is what lets you watch tv shows through satellite. And it connects to your company so they know if your ordered like Pay-Per-View or something like that.

This is a TV Tuner card. Goes into your PCI slots.

For speakers, you would have to connect and disconnect the input everytime you switch sources. So if you want to play PS3, then you h ave to hook up your speakers to that. If you want to watch tv, you would have to hook up your speakers to the Direct TV box.

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »

Damn, Indian tech support rocks! Thanks for the information so far... So, I'll look up some monitors right now, and you tell me which is good or not... I'll post back in a few.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 27 queries.