*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 03, 2024, 02:51:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Computer Re-Start  (Read 2101 times)

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Computer Re-Start
« on: December 14, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »

I don't know if any of you have come accross this problem before but I'd thought I'd ask you anyway. Basically when I play BF1942 now after say 15-30mins for some reason my computer Re-Starts itself. Then I loose my score, takes 5 minutes to get back in etc its just really freakin annoying cos I know its happens every time I play now. I've searched the internet and couldn't find anything. Any Idea's will be truly appreciated  :(  >:(  :confused:

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Re-Start
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »

It could be overheating.  Since it turns off after some time in a game, that could be the result.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:10:13 PM »

Nice Idea, but no, its as cool as a cucumber and only happens in BF. I'm wondering if I picked up some kind of virus which for some reason only effects BF1942. Anyway I know what Beatle would say: quit being a noob and re-install it, so fuck-it I'll do that tomorrow.

Loaded

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »

Ok you say it only happens in BF42, but dose it really? What I am trying to say is do you play any other games that are CPU/Memory/GPU intensive? If all you play is BF42 and this is when it happens, then it also could happen when player other games or using intensive type software.

I am 99.9% sure there is nothing on your computer that knows you are playing BF42 and turning your computer off (virus/addware).

My bet would be you have a PSU (power supply) problem and it shows its ugly head when your computer needs the extra juice, but YES also could be a heat problem. I know you say it is "cool as a cucumber", how do you know this?

Down load this, SpeedFan 4.33 and run it.

You will need to run a little test. Keep Speed fan running while playing BF42 (because you say this is where the problem happens). While playing BF42 you will need to Alt-Tab out of game and take the screen shot of each window (tab of "Readings" and "Charts", both Temp and Volts) "as fast as you can" so we can see what is going on. IF you happen to use two monitors that would be great, then all you would have to do is drag Speed Fan over to the other monitor to keep an eye on it.

Here are the windows I would like to see in pics here in this thread.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:29 AM »

Restarting isn't going to help this one Dune (I don't think).  You just got owned by Loaded.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:45:16 AM »

Loaded

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »

You didn't crash on this game correct? I bet you would have, from your CPU temp take a look at it, it was at around 80c when you took the pic in the "charts" tab and notice how it was still going up, it was not leveling off. Now I am not saying a CPU temp of 80c is bad, but if was going to still go up to 90, 100 and so on well that would be a crash sooner or later.

Your volts... 12v seems to be a bit low from where it should be, but being a bit under should be ok, but I would rather be a bit higher then lower.

Your mother board doesn't tell us much (sensors).

"If" the game didn't crash this time. Do the same test for awhile until it dose and lets see what the reading are.

Also I assume you are using a no fog hack in game and if it is from "hand of god" I am telling you that will hit your GPU up really fast, that will get my 8800GT up in temp. So if this is the case we have another test to do. Play BF42 just like you have been with running the temp test until you crash (restart), see the readings from that. Then after this, if you are using no fog, don't on the next try and see if you crash again. If no crash, then you know you are killing your GPU with the no fog hack.

Maybe you should do a test off line. Do SP or coop play to get the CPU/GPU in the mix really well, this way Bots will get your CPU/GPU really up in temp if that is the problem, set the game at 32 players.

About testing... This could be a problem because if you crash then SpeedFan will shut down so you will have to try and time it   :-\ , not sure how you could, but you did have a time limit above.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:34:43 AM »

Well that's as you say a real problem, because its not like the games just crashing, it actually re-starts my computer so there's no way of taking a reading afterwards or predicting when to take it before hand especially because at one point today I actually managed to get through 3 maps without any hiccups. Which seems perculiar, almost like my connection speed might have something to do with it because that's the only thing I can think of that can alternate drastically and effect things. I've got a feeling it might be something to do with the power supply like you said before, because this same thing happens when the lights flash in the house when there's a power surge. Its like there's some kind of automatic cut off point when the computer is using too much power it just shuts off like a fuse.

Loaded

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »

Could be as you said... If your power supply is a some what good one, it will have thermal protection, meaning, it will turn off before any of the computer parts are damaged.

Maybe if you give full specs on your computer we can look into this a bit more. Maybe the PSU you have isn't the correct size for what you are running.

Just a thought, living here in Florida I have allot of problems with power. My "old" PSU did a very good job of protecting my computer parts, but it did die, it can only do so much before it pops its top (in this case, two capacitors popped).

I know it is money, but you can never go wrong with a PSU upgrade and I recommend to always go with 2 or more 12v rails with at least 18+ amps each. Don't be fooled with PSUs that say 1000watts most of the time that is just a "My PSU is bigger then yours" rating, you get a 1000watts at start up but then you are lucky if you get 600 while running. I good named PSU at 500 watts will do you just as goods if not better then no named 1000watt unit.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 05:02:54 AM »

Well it turned out to be a overheating problem with my CPU I used Speedfan to monitor my computer when watching films online and it would rise from 65c to 92c in roughly 15mins then cut off. I removed the casing cos the fans where making a terrible noise and the Heat Sink(the aluminium pointy plate) was flat and black with dust. I cleaned it and wala the rattling and buzzing stopped and it isn't overheating anymore.
Whoop! Whoop!

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 05:26:43 AM »

Well it turned out to be a overheating problem with my CPU I used Speedfan to monitor my computer when watching films online and it would rise from 65c to 92c in roughly 15mins then cut off. I removed the casing cos the fans where making a terrible noise and the Heat Sink(the aluminium pointy plate) was flat and black with dust. I cleaned it and wala the rattling and buzzing stopped and it isn't overheating anymore.
Whoop! Whoop!
  Well who knew you had to clean your computer.  WOW

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Well I spoke too soon, its doing it again. Not nearly as frequently now though and at least the noise has gone. I ghess I'm gonna have to splash out on a new fan afterall  :(

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »

lol, 80mm fans are like 3 bucks man.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.