*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 14, 2024, 12:23:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Making A Site  (Read 2092 times)

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Making A Site
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:58:22 AM »

So my cousin wants to make a site about his wine collection, since he has been collecting for a long time. He wants it so that he could publish the wine details and give his commentary/opinion on each one. He wants people to be able to comment on whatever wine they wanted, so I'm wondering what kind of a site or program should be used. He also wants to be able to sell some of his wine to people who are interested in it so they cna place an order through him, so an e-commerce site. The thing is that I don't know how to make an ecommerce section and security is a big concern since people's financial information would be processed through it.

So can anyone suggest how to go about doing this? I know we have to have a host but he plans on running a server in his home. We also need a domain but for the early stages, I guess we could just go with a free one. What kind of a site building tool should I use to incorporate all these things I mentioned? Thanks.

Pr0d1gY

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Making A Site
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »

Use a Content Management System (CMS). Most have member management, shopping carts, and commenting systems. There are numerous ones out there. Search Google and read up on a few to see what would fit your needs... Then (if it's premium) go download the software via waires along with a decent ecommerce layout / template. That should set you up. I suggest buying a domain (.com) to make it look professional, you can find them for as low as $1.00. Good luck.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »

Use a Content Management System (CMS). Most have member management, shopping carts, and commenting systems. There are numerous ones out there. Search Google and read up on a few to see what would fit your needs... Then (if it's premium) go download the software via waires along with a decent ecommerce layout / template. That should set you up. I suggest buying a domain (.com) to make it look professional, you can find them for as low as $1.00. Good luck.
  Come back you fuck!!!!!!  I miss you!!!

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

Ok so I searched up some CMS things and the best one that a lot of people say is Joomla. The first thing that I like about it is that it's free and it seems to be popular.

http://www.joomla.org/

So once I get a host and a domain name, I can just upload the Joomla file that I downloaded in a ZIP to the host? After that I can install extensions such as the shopping cart?

Would the user input and everything else be a part of this or would I have to go download something like phpbb and then add it to the site?

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:46:13 PM »

the biggest lol is "run it from home" roflmfao!!! best of luck without proper dns, ssl license, no un-bought domain name can have a ssl license. ccan tos.

catch me on vent tech support and i can fill ya in :)

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 31 queries.