*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 16, 2024, 11:15:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Car Help  (Read 4943 times)

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Car Help
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »

so I have a 1991 Nissan Maxima with 161,000 miles on it. I've been noticing a couple problems lately.

When I turn on the car, I can hear a moving part squeaking loudly. I asked someone about it at work and they said it was coming form the timing belt, which I don't know what it is. The noise slows down and eventually fades away once the engine is running for about 5 mins.

Anyways, the even bigger noise comes when I actually get on the road. If I'm going like above 50mph, there is a REALLY LOUD squealing noise that is coming from the right front side of the car. It sounds like nails going down on the chalkboard. If I slow down, it still continues, but if I stop all the way, it goes away, but come back later.

Does anybody know what this could be? I'm kinda weary that something bad is going to happen while driving. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
Re: Car Help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »

Yeah, the squealing sounds like a belt, or another belt.  You would have to have a mechanic look at it, cause I ain't there to see.  The squeaking could be a couple of things, but it might be your brakes.  Once again, you have to have a mechanic check it out.  If it is what I have stated it could be pretty pricey. 

*MAFIA* Manowar

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Hail and Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

I'm not as Auto buff as some of the gear geeks here but it sounds like your belts.

Check here

http://autorepair.about.com/od/quicktips/a/belt_dressing.htm

Ultimate embarrassment, running into a wall with a boner and breaking your nose first.

Rat

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »

Sounds like the serpantine belt (not the timing belt) for the first one and brakes for the second. Both are pretty easy fixes and should be checked anyways.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:18:37 PM by *MAFIA* Rat »

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

Do the brakes squeal even when they are not applied? Cuz the sound comes even when I'm not braking. And it just happens randomly.  Oh btw, I think I had a break check just a couple weeks ago, so idk how that can be acting up.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:37:28 PM »

Do the brakes squeal even when they are not applied? Cuz the sound comes even when I'm not braking. And it just happens randomly.  Oh btw, I think I had a break check just a couple weeks ago, so idk how that can be acting up.
  There is something on the brakes that lets you know that you have to change them.  If you let it keep going it will wear down on your rotor and then the price goes up.  I would get that shit checked now.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »

Does sound like a belts slipping then warming up and catching grip after 5 mins then slipping again when you hit 50mph. Get a new belt its probably lost its tension and they are very cheap.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:32:36 PM »

if you buy the belt separately, it's like 10-15 dollars. To have a mechanic put it on for you, expect to pay a whole lot more. Either way, take it to an auto-mechanic, tell them you think a belt is wearing. 
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 04:12:54 AM »

all you have to do is call tech support!

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 04:24:17 AM »

Real easy, take my words on what I say.

1... The noise you are hearing on start up is your serpentine belt (as what was said) or the single belt (because I am not sure of your setup). Why the noise? The noise is being made because your alternator is on high load trying to recharge your battery after start up. The noise goes away after awhile because the alternator has done its job to charge the battery so now it is relaxed ("max" load is gone). Fix, possible a new belt, but more then likely you need a new belt tensioner and it goes without saying to replace the belt as well.

could look something like below (again not sure of your model).

Now if your car as a single belt to the alternator, then it can be a simple belt tightening that is all that is needed to stop this noise.

2... Brakes. Yes there is  (or I should say "more then likely", but most do have them) a warning tab (as what Hellraiser was saying) on the brake pad to warn you that your brakes are low. When this warning tab is hitting the rotor "all the time" it will make a noise when the brakes are on or off.

Fix, replace your brakes as soon as possible.

EDIT... I wanted to show some photos of the brake pads, but needed to get the little one off to school.

This 1st pic shows the low brake warning tab and the 2nd shows a brake that is worn down to nothing (also would mean new rotors are more then likely needed because resurfacing them is unlikely after going this low).

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:14:46 AM by ReLoaded »

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »

I agree with Rat, probably the serpantine belt. My serpantine belt was squeaking for a while I was just to lazy to fix it, and then one day when I was delivering (thank God cause I was only going like 10 mph) it snapped and my power steering went out.  Pretty scary shit if you are about to take a turn.  Anyways, just look up the belt type in your manual then go buy one and install it yourself.  Don't take your car to a mechanic, thats fucking retarded.

jackal

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 02:01:09 PM »

hmm i say wheel bearing?to find out jack your car up and see if u have play in the wheel by pulling it a round.if it is just nip it up and if u dont your wheel can fly of with ya hubb.
no2 start your car and then sqirt some lube oil on the fann belt if the nosie gos theres your problem.if not it could be your cam belt tenisoner if it is could make your belt snap then your car is scrap.so get that checked.
and if u fit new brake pads put some copper grease on when u do. ;D

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »

hmm i say wheel bearing?to find out jack your car up and see if u have play in the wheel by pulling it a round.if it is just nip it up and if u dont your wheel can fly of with ya hubb.
no2 start your car and then sqirt some lube oil on the fann belt if the nosie gos theres your problem.if not it could be your cam belt tenisoner if it is could make your belt snap then your car is scrap.so get that checked.
and if u fit new brake pads put some copper grease on when u do. ;D

Oil on belt... That is a BIG NO NO. Putting oil on any type of rubber belt will degrade the belt to the point of failure. IF you wish to test a belt for noise, just use plan water or "maybe" water with a very small amount of dish soap. Again I am 99% sure it is alternator load and in turn means slipping belt because of the other reasons I posted above.

Bearing... Unlikely, front where drive car... Bearing is self contained and is "pressed" into the steering knuckle and rarely ever goes bad... I guess anything is possible.

Copper grease (Anti-Seize Compound)... And where do you want him to put this? Right on the pad? Well of course not, but you didn't say where. I have to assume you would want him to put the copper on the caliper slides or mounting pins, NEVER anywhere near the pads... In any case, not really needed this day and age, frozen slider pins/stuck calipers are somewhat a thing of the past because of the materiel that is used now a days, but it wouldn't hurt if the copper (Anti-Seize Compound) is used correctly and put in the right place.

IF anyone has told you to put Anti-Seize on the "back" of the break pad to stop Vibration Squeal and they have done it to their car, I would stay out of the car, because sooner or later when that Anti-Seize melts and drips on the rotor (very possible), they will lose their stopping power.

Ok, Auto mechanics 101 is now dismissed.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »

its your cars mobile support antenna banging around :D or it could be the thingamajigger or that thingamabop. :P

*MAFIA* masebot1

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Mason's art site
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:06:27 AM »

I thought it was his fluxdecabilato r.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 30 queries.