*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 18, 2024, 01:17:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Bilirubin  (Read 5487 times)

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Bilirubin
« on: March 26, 2005, 08:51:55 PM »

If anyone wanted to know what it means.

bilirubin

Bilirubin is the waste product that results from the breakdown of hemoglobin molecules from worn out red blood cells. Ordinarily, it is excreted from the body as the chief component of bile. Excessive levels of bilirubin stain the fatty tissues in the skin yellow; this condition is called jaundice. Very high levels of bilirubin in the bloodstream can cause permanent damage to certain areas of the brain of newborn infants -kernicterus  This can cause a characteristic form of crippling known as athetoid cerebral palsy. To prevent this from happening, bilirubin levels are monitored in newborns, and excessive levels of bilirubin are treated by either phototherapy ("bilirubin lights") or exchange transfusion.

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Bilirubin
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 05:32:19 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead

bilirubin

Bilirubin is the waste product that results from the breakdown of hemoglobin molecules from worn out red blood cells. Ordinarily, it is excreted from the body as the chief component of bile. Excessive levels of bilirubin stain the fatty tissues in the skin yellow; this condition is called jaundice. Very high levels of bilirubin in the bloodstream can cause permanent damage to certain areas of the brain of newborn infants -kernicterus  This can cause a characteristic form of crippling known as athetoid cerebral palsy. To prevent this from happening, bilirubin levels are monitored in newborns, and excessive levels of bilirubin are treated by either phototherapy ("bilirubin lights") or exchange transfusion.

WOW! :s damn, did u do that with google?

Loaded

Bilirubin
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 07:07:07 AM »

Wow thanks Bone... I have just made my self a Dr. with your above post.

Billy Rubin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • 3v0
Bilirubin
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 07:54:56 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead

bilirubin

Thanks Bonehead, I figured if I went too in depth with my explanation, people would not understand, I'm glad you do, because I need some help with my homework...... .... can you explain what acetylcholine does in the brain? I have some what of an understanding about it, but I am confused as to why medications designed to slow the progression of dementia (alzheirmer's) symptoms are directed at acetylcholine in the cerebral cortex. My text books suck.

Loaded

Bilirubin
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:10:34 AM »

Now I have only been a Doctor for about 1 hour or so, maybe Bone would be the better person for this info you are asking for.

Let me know if this helps...

Acetylcholine is a small organic molecule liberated at nerve endings as a neurotransmitt er . It is particularly important in the stimulation of muscle tissue. The transmission of an impulse to the end of the nerve causes it to release neurotransmitt er molecules onto the surface of the next cell, stimulating it. After such release, the acetylcholine is quickly broken into acetate and choline, which pass back to the first cell to be recycled into acetylcholine again. The poison curare acts by blocking the transmission of acetylcholine. Some nerve gases operate by preventing the breakdown of acetylcholine causing continual stimulation of the receptor cells, which leads to intense spasms of the muscles, including the heart.

Remember I am very new at this, so if I am wrong sorry.

Snake Pliskin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Bilirubin
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 08:13:06 AM »

Yes Yes, help her with her homework please, but if  you think  I am going to give up my spot as the guinea pig, It won't happen. I LOVE THE TESTICULAR EXAMS. lol

Billy Rubin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • 3v0
Bilirubin
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 08:47:04 AM »

Loaded thanks a bunch, but that's the part I understand. This is what I don't get...
Donepezil (aricept) is classified as a reversible choliesterase inhibitor. It is used to slow the progression of dementia symptoms, and it works by elevating acetylcholine concentrations (in the cerebral cortex) by slowing degredation of acetylcholine released in the cholinergic neurons. I understand that too, but if acetylcholine (ACh) is important for stimulating muscle tissue, then why is it important for dementia patients? I don't think the answer is that ACh is a neurotransmitt er, I think the answer is what exactly ACh is responsible for transmitting. And if it is solely responsible for transmitting information relating to muscle tissue, what the hell does it have to do with dementia? Also if
"Some nerve gases operate by preventing the breakdown of acetylcholine causing continual stimulation of the receptor cells, which leads to intense spasms of the muscles, including the heart."
and aricept does sort of the same thing, then why don't patients on this medication experience intense muscle spasms?
This is why I am confused :)

Also speaking of testicular exams, did you know that the best way to prevent testicular cancer is to do a self-examination of your boys once a month? If you need more info on how to do this, let me know and I can walk you through it. lol....serious ly :)

Loaded

Bilirubin
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 10:00:47 AM »

Aaaa right... I forgot to tell you. I am a Doctor of  Seuss, as in Dr. Seuss.

About checking the “BOYS” how would that prevent cancer? Find it yes, but NOT prevent it.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Bilirubin
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »

LoL where I come from if you touch your sons nuts they lock you up I dont know about canada but here you get a 4x4 cell for the prize.

I will explain why man made drugs cause even more harm than good and why brain eating diseases cant be stopped.

We as people try to make a drug to fix our problems when in reality we cant realy do anything about most diseases and fail to even slow them down diseases like demencia,alzheimer's and the like are ones that effect the chemical balance of the brain and like aids does not destroy on its on no no no it uses the body to destroy itself so these nasty little diseases cause the brain to create and use different chemicals than what it should use thus causing an interuption in the anode functions and limiting the effectiveness of the stimuli most people think our brains work from nerves and contact when in reality they work in the opposite our brains work off of chemical relays and fluid contacts and that is what the diseases attack so the man made drugs to counter this only add to or make symptoms worse to help 1 of the disableing effects of the disease the point is man really has no idea what chemicals fall into play and what they do or where they come from so we only see a few of them and think hey we can fix that I know all about it lets make a drug to help/cure it so they do and it winds up doing more harm than good once a disease sets in that takes over chemical balances of the brain your pretty much dead just except it and enjoy what life you have left because there isn't nothing anyone can do.

I hope that answers you billy without using medical termology just a down to earth reason in short when you have an unknown number of chemicals doing a job and a few are being altered then along comes man and puts a few more checmicals into play what is going to happen? or as my biology teacher once said "If you have a pot full of mixed chemicals and you dont really know whats in it do you start adding things and find out the hard way?" hence mans poor poor attempts to fix the chemical inbalance.

P.S if you really want the medical termology explanation then ask and I will give it to you :D

Billy Rubin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • 3v0
Bilirubin
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »

Go Bonehead Go.....lol unfortunately I can't use that answer....I do agree (about the nasty man made chemicals-I prefer the natural ones myself), but until I become some type of authority in the medical community, no one is really gonna listen to me (I've tried) :(

And.......
Dr.Seuss, you are right, I didn't word that properly. The self-examination doesn't prevent testicular cancer, but if detected early it is easier to treat and there is a better chance of eliminating it.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Bilirubin
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 05:07:19 PM »

Well ok billy give me your exact question and I will answer it the best I can :)

Billy Rubin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • 3v0
Bilirubin
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 05:41:54 PM »

My question is what is ACh responsible for in the brain in relation to cognition? What I want to know is why would a person with dementia be on a drug that helps with the availability  of ACh.......how does the ACh relate to dementia? How does it slow the progression of dementia symptoms?

Elliott Smith

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Bilirubin
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 08:28:03 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Loaded
Aaaa right... I forgot to tell you. I am a Doctor of  Seuss, as in Dr. Seuss.

About checking the “BOYS” how would that prevent cancer? Find it yes, but NOT prevent it.

Drink cranberry juice daily to ward off testicular cancer.  Fo'Real, yo.

Quote from: *MAFIA* Billy Rubin
My question is what is ACh responsible for in the brain in relation to cognition? What I want to know is why would a person with dementia be on a drug that helps with the availability  of ACh.......how does the ACh relate to dementia? How does it slow the progression of dementia symptoms?

Billy,
ACh is critical for communication between neurons and muscle at the neuromuscular junction, is involved in direct neurotransmiss ion in autonomic ganglia, and has been implicated in cognitive processing, arousal and attention in the brain.  http://www.acnp.org/g5/p/SCH1_1-14b.pdf

Billy Rubin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • 3v0
Bilirubin
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 05:23:10 AM »

aaahhh Thanks Elliot! That makes more sense :)

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Bilirubin
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 03:36:21 PM »

Well thanks elliott you saved me some time and research :D

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 27 queries.