*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 01, 2024, 08:59:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 Servers Under Attack  (Read 2435 times)

*MAFIA* Flappers67

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Battlefield 3 Servers Under Attack
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »

Hey everyone, I just thought I would post some information that I found out about why the servers on BF3 are acting so shitty.
The reason is a DDoS attack.

A Dice Dev posted something that really has good information:

This is quoted by DarkLord7854 a Dice Battlelog Dev

I've read through the entire thread and I see there's still a bit of misinformation/frustration going around, which is understandable and I empathize with you guys, I know the situation really sucks, but we're not sitting around doing nothing about it.

Our official statement is here:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...4625527878522/

To those of you who feel that we're not doing enough, we've been handling these DDoS (and RDDoS) attacks for longer than you guys have been seeing the issues, unfortunately as with all of these sort of attacks, it's a constant cat and mouse game, and it's extremely expensive and time consuming on our side to mitigate. We (and our hosts) are in constant 24/7 Red Alert mode trying to handle the problem and find who is responsible. It's not easy, it takes a LOT of manpower, and it is unbelievably expensive with all the hardware we have to run to attempt to keep services working as best as they can when being utterly flooded by the attacker(s).

We didn't release a statement earlier because we thought we were close to getting a lid on it, but due to the continued renewed attacks, we felt it was necessary to break the silence.

Also for those of you who think that this is because of the BF4 release, we have no plans to cut support for BF3 (or MoH:W) as long as there are players wanting to play the game. If you don't believe me, then just have a look at how you can still play our previous Battlefield games even today.

We will get through this

UPDATE: Directly from battlelog

Despite our security measures, we have been working around the clock to mitigate the impact of an ongoing denial-of-service attack on our Battlefield 3 game infrastructure over the last several days. While the motives are unclear, the focus of the attack has been interference with network communications preventing access to multiplayer gameplay. At this point, no user data is involved. We share your frustration about the impact this has had to our service and the ability for many of you to play Battlefield 3. We are working tirelessly to mitigate the problem. As a part of our efforts to resolve these issues, we’ve conducted rolling restarts of Battlefield infrastructure servers to apply some updates. Thank you for your patience and support while we work to get everyone back and playing Battlefield 3 as soon as possible. More updates to come.

/DICE Team

For those of you that don't know what a DDoS attack is, here is this article:

http://www.bullguard.com/bullguard-security-center/internet-security/internet-threats/what-are-dos-and-ddos-attacks.aspx

As for everyone this has been extremely frustrating. On the plus side, its a good time to get work done!  mischievous

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
Re: Battlefield 3 Servers Under Attack
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:53:23 AM »

Everyone here knows what a ddos attack is. Most of us have done it to other servers.

*MAFIA* Flappers67

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »

Everyone here knows what a ddos attack is. Most of us have done it to other servers.

Yeah I sort of figured that. I haven't been apart of the MAFIA community to really know. So i just included it...sorry

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »

It's cool.  Is the DDOS over?  I've been gone for about a week.

*MAFIA* Flappers67

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »

It's cool.  Is the DDOS over?  I've been gone for about a week.

The DDOS should be over. Here is a statement from the DICE team.

Thank you all again for your patience as we continue to work to block the denial-of-service attacks we've experienced over the last few days. We've made some progress and are continuing to make changes that will hopefully mitigate these issues in the future. We'll keep the community posted here as things progress./DICE Team

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 28 queries.