*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 05, 2024, 02:15:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Windows problem?  (Read 6142 times)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Windows problem?
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »

Not sure what to call this one..... Anyhow, whenever I start my computer, it automatically selects the first option on my dual boot, which pissed me off. When that windows finishes loading, it automatically selects (again) the first user, which further pisses me off. Upon start up everything seems fine, that is, until I attempt to open taskmanager via ctrl-alt-delete, which just logs me off and then back on. So then, I attempt to open it via the taskbar, and only get the window thing to close again, thus making me suspect a virus. So I decided to take the easy way out and reformat my harddrive, but instead find out I can't do this either. I then precede to restart and access the boot menu only to find out this picks what one it wants to (and no, this isn't my keyboard or some shit). So, this being said, does anyone have a clue to what this is, or a way to fix this? I went over this with my brothers (Computer Engineer/Server supervisor for some bank and codes software) and they had no clue. Might just buy a new harddrive and install there.

*MAFIA* Whoops

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Windows problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »

Change the boot order in BIOS

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »

Then stick your penis in the disk drive and close the drawer.

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »

Setup doesn't work, all it does is go between the tabs, like when someone holds down the arrow key. And no, it's most likely not my keyboard.

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »

Try not using fake auth codes and PAY for your os.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »

Windows XP? Try this.

You can stop the dual boot option in Windows by going to System Properties (Control Panel > System > Advanced). Once in the 'Advanced' tab select setting's under the 'startup and recovery' group.

From the startup and recovery dialog box check to see if you have 'Time to display list of operating systems' checked, and if so check the seconds that it is displayed.

You might have to do all this from Safe Mode, right after the BIOS (Dell, Gateway, Intel, e.t.c) logo is displayed right before the Windows splash screen normally comes up start hitting F8 like it owes you money. Choose the option for 'Safe Mode' from there.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »

Hmm, it seems like your best bet is to just install Gentoo. It usually fixes problems like these pretty fast. Just follow the guide below. Balth's method takes many hours to fix and it usually won't work with the problem you're describing.

http://i47.tinypic.com/f2u4ir.jpg

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 06:25:47 PM »

Windows XP? Try this.

You can stop the dual boot option in Windows by going to System Properties (Control Panel > System > Advanced). Once in the 'Advanced' tab select setting's under the 'startup and recovery' group.

From the startup and recovery dialog box check to see if you have 'Time to display list of operating systems' checked, and if so check the seconds that it is displayed.

You might have to do all this from Safe Mode, right after the BIOS (Dell, Gateway, Intel, e.t.c) logo is displayed right before the Windows splash screen normally comes up start hitting F8 like it owes you money. Choose the option for 'Safe Mode' from there.

I'm on win7, and whenever I try to get to the control panel, it selects all programs and then freezes the start menu until I click on the desktop. And I can't get into safe mode, it just goes to regular windows without safe
mode.

Try not using fake auth codes and PAY for your os.
If this was directed at me, then I would say that I bought my copy of windows 7. The only OS I have ever not bought is my Mac OS, because I refuse to give apple any money. In all seriousness, Windows 7 sucks ass and can't compare to XP (Which is what I have been trying to install)

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »

I'm on win7, and whenever I try to get to the control panel, it selects all programs and then freezes the start menu until I click on the desktop. And I can't get into safe mode, it just goes to regular windows without safe
mode.

Then piss off your computer by forcing it to turn off and put it into the menu that asks for safe mode or start windows normally. It's worth a shot if you havn't already.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »

Hmm, it seems like your best bet is to just install Gentoo. It usually fixes problems like these pretty fast. Just follow the guide below. Balth's method takes many hours to fix and it usually won't work with the problem you're describing.

http://i47.tinypic.com/f2u4ir.jpg

out of curiosity, what does this actually do?

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19:17 AM »

mode.
If this was directed at me, then I would say that I bought my copy of windows 7. The only OS I have ever not bought is my Mac OS, because I refuse to give apple any money. In all seriousness, Windows 7 sucks ass and can't compare to XP (Which is what I have been trying to install)

Change boot order to CD first in BIOS config, Insert Win XP install disk, delete NTFS Win 7 Partition (It wouldn't know how to read the MAC OS partition in the Win XP install manager), Install Win XP on new partition. Solved!

*MAFIA* Whoops

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »

Change boot order to CD first in BIOS config, Insert Win XP install disk, delete NTFS Win 7 Partition (It wouldn't know how to read the MAC OS partition in the Win XP install manager), Install Win XP on new partition. Solved!

I already told him that, he said he couldn't.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »

try another keyboard ;D

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:11:01 AM »

try another keyboard ;D
Tried 3 different keyboards, still no luck.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »

maybe the gate a20/220 went bad? what type keyboard controller is in use? usb, serial, ps2?

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.