*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 06, 2024, 10:58:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Graphics card  (Read 3560 times)

*MAFIA* Tin_man_©

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Graphics card
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

What in your opinion would be the BEST graphics card that you can get... I mean for a built desktop computer. Money in no factor. O0

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics card
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »

What in your opinion would be the BEST graphics card that you can get... I mean for a built desktop computer. Money in no factor. O0
one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161335

or maybe two of them, if money isn't a factor lol
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »

Get anything in the ATI 5800 and 5900 series. Definitely do NOT go for the nVidia 400 series right now. Those cards are running too hot and it offers only about a 5% performance increase over nVidia, but are priced way higher than nvidia. Or you could just be an idiot and go ahead with nvidia. I'm not a fanboy of either company, just telling you the facts.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »

what do you intend to do with it? graphics? games?

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:19:05 AM »

If money isn't an issue, get four of what Wasserfaller posted, that's the best out there right now.  The graphics alone would cost way more than most gaming rigs lol, but you can't do better than quad crossfire 5970s

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »

If money isn't an issue, get four of what Wasserfaller posted, that's the best out there right now.  The graphics alone would cost way more than most gaming rigs lol, but you can't do better than quad crossfire 5970s

Even though this sounds cool, this is very stupid. You have to know how the cards scale with the games and if you're actually going to get more performance. For most games, the 3rd and 4th cards do not do anything to the performance. You'll get much better performance if you go with XF or SLI with only 2 rather than more. And for 5970, you'd be crazy to even have more than one of them right now.

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »

Hmm you may be right, but it was my understanding that there is some boost when you add a 3rd/4th card.  It may be little compared to adding a 2nd card (and of course you would never need 4 5970s lol).  I may be wrong though. 

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »

Hmm you may be right, but it was my understanding that there is some boost when you add a 3rd/4th card.  It may be little compared to adding a 2nd card (and of course you would never need 4 5970s lol).  I may be wrong though. 

There is a little boost (a couple FPS higher) but it's not enough to need another card. And even with the fastest CPU, the cards will bottleneck so you'll see that the FPS stays level for all resolutions. When you see the flat line for the 3x 480, that means that the CPU cannot go any faster and so  you'll get the same rates.

In this case, 2 cards perform better than 3 cards.

Overall, all I have to say is that it depends on the game you're playing and other components in your system. Tin Man, if you've never built your own computer or have no idea what I'm talking about, save yourself the trouble and just go with an easy build.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »

IMO... The only time 3 and 4 cards would make a big difference over 2 cards is when you are using 2, 3 or more monitors.

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »

I've been running these in sli for a while now. Work great for only $120 a piece.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6044537&CatId=3585

unrealirony

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »

I would go with 2 way GTX 480's. The graph above shows everything, also Nvidia is more stable than ATI from personal experience.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »

also Nvidia is more stable than ATI from personal experience.
Define "more stable."

I've used ATI cards for 8 years, never had a problem. Nvidia seems to have flicker issues with lots of games i've played on rigs with Nvidia cards (BF2, FH2, CSS...), but that was like 3 years ago

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »

if $ is no issue, then buy render farms xxx***? of then and stick them in every hole, you can stuff them in.

then you will have the best :)

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 28 queries.