*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 15, 2024, 10:45:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Video Card Temperature  (Read 2104 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Video Card Temperature
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »

after Dune's bad over-heating story, i got worried about my graphics card. While playing FH2 for about 8 hours friday, i checked the temp and it got to 78 degrees Celcius. Is that okay?

For christmas i asked for this thing, it's supposed to be a pretty good comp cooler, and it's really cheap. I know it takes up two PCI ports, but i don't need them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMBXGE?smid=AWUTMJ84TDNVA&tag=dealtime-ce-feed-20&linkCode=asn

should i be all set with that, or should i not be worrying yet? The fan kicks on to 100% about 9 times while playing one round, it'll just kick on and off intermittently . Apparently the fans only start running at full speed when it's about to over-heat, so that's what got me worried...
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Video Card Temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »

78 C is a bit on the high side.  What video card do you have again?  There is a way to manage your fan settings manually, so for example you can force it to be on a 100% for any duration of time. 

It looks like an ok product but it'll just be more noise from your computer.  The rule of airflow in computers is that you should always have as many in-take fans as out-take fans.  I would just recommend something that replaces your old stock VGA fan with one of these or these.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »

just point a fan or two at it and you will be just fine.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:57 PM »

i don't know how many fans i have going in and how many fans blowing out.

Here's my case, i haven't changed anything on it so that's how many fans it's got.

http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=164

It has a cut out for an 80mm fan on the front, but i'm not sure if i should put one in because i don't know how. I know how to put in a fan, but i don't know how to put it in MY case because there's this huge plastic panel that you'd have to pry off to get to it....i don't wanna mess with it.

I just looked at it, i'm almost posative i have two exhaust fans and one intake fan. The one on the top is an exhaust for sure, and there's on on the rear where my mouse plug in hole is, and it's an exhaust. The one on the side of the case is an intake i'm pretty sure.

Oh, and this is my card

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=482

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:04:27 PM »

Well it's not like you have to have the same ratio, I don't.  It's just a general rule of thumb for some people.

Did some searching and by popular opinion, this is the best cooler for your specific card.  There are some who say that the stock cooler for that specific video card is really good too.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »

172F is not bad, 220F or more is bad ;) ATI runs hotter, also make sure your case isn't full of dust, or krauts chunks of skin...

Loaded

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:36:57 AM »

True 70s isn't "that" bad, but when you hit that 80 mark problems could happen.

go here http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189 and get ATI Tray Tools , read the "read me" and make some "fan speed/temp" profiles.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:28 PM »

thanks for all the input everyone, i got the ATI tools thing a while back, the fan speed options just make my fan kick on earlier, which i already had it set to do. It's set to kick on full speed when it breaches 76 C right now.

I talked to my comp tech head friend and he suggested i actually install that 80mm fan in the empty cut out on the front of my comp. As it is right now, i have more exhaust fans than i do intakes, so he's giving me an 80mm fan to bring in more air through the front of the comp, and exit the hot air out the sides and top of the case.

It should help alot,  but just to make sure it's done right i'm having him do it.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:16:22 PM »

Video cards of such consumption of power, need better cooling. Manufactures slap the cheapest bidders heat dispersion sinks and poor flow fans.

I had an ati x850xtpe 256m pcie-x16, and the manufacturers poor attempt at a cooling solution, would at full speed allow 82c "180f" at max utilization. So I bought an arctic cooler, replaced the old, GPU cooling, and replaced it. I could run at full settings on the card and only get. Highest recording "66c-150f" a 30d difference, so cooling is a big part.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.