*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 01, 2024, 02:22:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Linksys Router  (Read 3915 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Linksys Router
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

Alright, i've been using a bottom of the line 4-port wired router for the 3 computers at my house so far, but since my little sister is getting her netbook tomorrow, and i'm getting mine friday, i figured i need to setup a wireless network so we dont have 50 ft cables running all over the floor.

So the router i have now has had no problems, super easy to setup, pretty much just plug-n-play. We also have a Linksys WRK54G wireless router, but never set it up because the one we already have hasn't had any problems thus far. We don't have the install disc for the linksys router, so i browsed around online to find the drivers for it.

The first step in finding the driver had me enter in the version number, which is right after the model number (WRK54G). The one we have has nothing after the model number, so i'm assuming it is version 1.0 (earliest).

I have no idea what i'm doing, and the .pdf on linksys' site made me shit my pants it had so many steps. Does anyone know how to set up this kind of router?

And what steps to i need to take? i assumed i should just get the driver (easier said than done), put it on a flash drive and install the driver on all my computers, then unplug my d-link router and switch it with the linksys wireless router, restart the computers, then i'm done.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for being tech-tarded, i fucking hate routers. And before some smart ass responds with "Google is your friend," i did check "linksys WRK54G Driver" and all of the links i found were either dead (even the link to linksys' site had a could not connect to server error), or led to forums with no useful links.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Linksys Router
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »

Just call your internet service provider they'll talk you through it. Thats what I do when I get stuck. They have the ability to check your settings remotely and ether change them themselves or tell you what to do. Thats what they get paid for, make use of their service.

HaVoK

• Forum Member
  • Gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »

Plug it the router into your computer through the network cable.

Open up a browser and type in //192.168.1.1/ (default Linksy's router address)

Type in the password and set it up.  It's that simple.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »

Plug it the router into your computer through the network cable.

Open up a browser and type in //192.168.1.1/ (default Linksy's router address)

Type in the password and set it up.  It's that simple.
problem is i don't know how to "set it up." i got in with "admin" as username and password, but for all the little fields i have to fill in i have no idea what to put.

MeZmoriZe

• Forum Member
  • The Emo Wonder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:20 AM »

If Linksys is like any other product and the model number(WRK54G) means the higher the number the newer the model, then the router you have is ancient.  I've had mine for years and its a WRT300N.

*MAFIA* OUTLAW

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Deus Absconditus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »

Whatever you do don't mess with the N.A.T.; Once I went in and starting changing the router settings I changed the NAT and now my PC can't connect to it anymore. Doing that at least gave me motivation to go buy a newer wireless router that works great.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »

Whatever you do don't mess with the N.A.T.; Once I went in and starting changing the router settings I changed the NAT and now my PC can't connect to it anymore. Doing that at least gave me motivation to go buy a newer wireless router that works great.
ya i'm considering just buying a new wireless router on newegg.com for like 20 bucks, but it seems pointless to do that when i've got a perfectly good wireless linksys router, and a functional 4port wired d-link router.

So does anyone know what i need to do after entering in //192.168.1.1/ ? There's a ton of fields i have to fill in, have no idea what to put there. Also isn't the 4port wired part of the router supposed to work right when you plug it in? Because even the wired connections do not work.

HaVoK

• Forum Member
  • Gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »

You can enter //192.168.1.1/ to do some indepth settings to secure it and also change a few things around to enhance usability.

Look at some guides to setting it up like here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

As far as why your wired connections don't work with the router.... are you sure that it is even showing that a connection is coming through (ie. blinking green lights)?  You may also have to change the Speed and Duplex of your Local Area Connection.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »

Who is your ISP?  If they didn't give you a login when you signed up, just hook that sucker up.  When you log in to how balth showed you, just set up the WEP Protection.  And you should be up and running.

If your ISP gave you a username and password, just Set it to PPPoE, if you have a static IP, set it to static ip.  If you dont have either one, set it to DHCP.
One more thing, since the Linksys Router Interface is similar in all routers/switches, log into your wired router and check the settings there, then just do a "copy & paste"

All else fails, get a Netgear and I can help you better lol.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »

mean greens high level IT guy can fix it in a few seconds. ask her to get in touch with him :P

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

As far as why your wired connections don't work with the router.... are you sure that it is even showing that a connection is coming through (ie. blinking green lights)?  You may also have to change the Speed and Duplex of your Local Area Connection.
I have all the cables in the right ports, and the "internet" light is blinking, and the "line 1" and "line 2" lights are blinking, showing both wired connections to the other computers are recognized. But i still don't have internet from the linksys wired connection.

My ISP is verizon btw.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

dsl? wireless? either way, you have to login to your account. default settings are at either. 192.168.1.254, or 192.168.1.101.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »

Just call Verizon and ask them, "Do I have a DHCP connection or a PPPoE."

Most likely, west coast verizon has been DHCP. But things may have changed?  Either way, once you find out, we can take it from there.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

lol, i just got pissed last night at that damn router so i bought one on newegg.com for 16 bucks, free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122256

Hopefully this one is easier to setup lol. Should just be plug n play from what i read about it.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 10:44:46 PM »

someone returned that shit... lol best of luck man..... lol...

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.