*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 26, 2024, 05:40:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: WIRELESS DESKTOP  (Read 8921 times)

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: WIRELESS DESKTOP
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »

Pretty good for peak times in this busy area.

Loaded, if he has cable I'm pretty sure that speed is not going to be a huge issue. Running Vent and BF42 is not a huge strain on the network compared to other things like torrents.

Just go for a Netgear router that fits your budget. I've had Linksys and had problems with it after a year or two of running it, but those things are not really meant to last that long anyways. Netgear has not failed on me in the last 2 years so it's running great. If you see Wireless N or Draft N, those will give you a little advantage over G but that's only if you have a card in your desktop that supports the N technology. If you don't have a wired or wireless card that supports, you're just wasting your money. Of course there's nothing wrong with B/G routers, it's just that N is the newer technology.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »

I agree, I'll withdraw my speed limits.

I am sure Hellraiser doesn't care if you are running right out of your ISP's office, it doesn't matter to him what "your" speed is.

I have to disagree on your bad luck with Linksys, I haven't had any bad luck with them at all (but again I am not a network pro, I'm just a home guy). But as always, one person could have good luck on one company and bad luck on another. I still stand by my recommendation of Linksys.

EDIT... To add, he has told us what he has/needs in other posts in this thread.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:51:17 PM by *MAFIA* ReLoaded »

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »

Ok, this is what I got.

Now I am gonna get a N router, but should I get a card as well, or is the USB good enough?

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »

You need to have a PCI card in the computer if you want to get internet wirelessly.

Even if you get a USB card for it, how will you make it wireless? You need to have an ethernet cable going from your Comcast cable modem to your router. The router that you'll get probably won't have a USB port, since those are used for print servers and Network Attached Storage (NAS). Now in order for your computer to get internet wirelessly, you'll need to have a PCI network wireless card for it to get the signal. In laptops, this is what's built into it.

So why are you asking about USB, just wondering.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:03:54 PM by *MAFIA* Scooby »

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »

I have a wireless modem.  It is set up and running.  I went out and bought a usb wireless adapter for my desktop.  It is kind of like a thumb drive, but it picks up wireless signals. I was just wondering if a wireless card would be faster!

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »

USB doesn't have the coverage that a PCI card has since most USB adapters don't have the kind of antennas that PCI cards do. It's ok for laptops but for a desktop it would be good to use a PCI adapter. If you're looking for a long term solution, go with the PCI.

Here's what I got from one site:

PCI connections are mechanically robust
PCI cards are screwed in place
Any one pin in a PCI connector has more surface area than all of the pins in a USB connection together.
PCI cards have more surface area, exposed to air in motion. Cooling.
PCI cards have room for a proper external antenna connector, an RP-TNC

USB is a convenient expedient or temporary solution. Tolerable in a laptop, second rate in a desktop.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 04:46:05 AM »

I'll step aside and let Scooby take over on this, no reason to have 2 people giving their thoughts, just leads to confusion.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 06:16:49 AM »

Ok, so PCI it is.  Now, this may be a stupid question, but are all PCI cards universal?  Or do I need to have my MB info and match one to it?

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 06:43:56 AM »

Ok, so PCI it is.  Now, this may be a stupid question, but are all PCI cards universal?  Or do I need to have my MB info and match one to it?

I can reply to that... A "PCI" is a PCI, no match needed.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:07 AM »

I can reply to that... A "PCI" is a PCI, no match needed.
 Sweet!  I will pick one up today at lunch and go from there.  Thanks!

Edit... Damnit hit wrong icon again, ReLoaded
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:11:58 AM by *MAFIA* ReLoaded »

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:21 AM »

Sweet!  I will pick one up today at lunch and go from there.  Thanks!

Hold you horses there buddy! Yea PCI card is a PCI card, But do you know what type of Router you are getting? Get the router FIRST, then match up the card to it. I am not saying you have to get it from the same company, but you want to make sure you are in the same specs for the router/PCI card. And why in the hell are you buying local (don't give me that, "helping my local retailer crap", they aren't helping you with the high prices and sales tax)? You can save 20%+ just waiting a few days and going to Newegg or other on line store (well if you are on a base store, then I understand).

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »

This is the router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127243

and I am thinking this card.  Tell me what you think.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Xtreme+N+Wireless-N+Desktop+Expresscard/8333868.p?id=1175902229730&skuId=8333868

Or fuck it, I may just put a whole in my wall for a freakin cable to fit through instead of spending $200. 

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »

This is the router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127243

and I am thinking this card.  Tell me what you think.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Xtreme+N+Wireless-N+Desktop+Expresscard/8333868.p?id=1175902229730&skuId=8333868

Or fuck it, I may just put a whole in my wall for a freakin cable to fit through instead of spending $200. 

Lots of money, but yes I think that would do you just fine.

The hole is the best thing you can do. You can make it neat if the cable is in a box on the other side. Just remove the box, drill a hole on the other side and add a cable face plate, no box needed (no way at all I can see what you have, so I am just guessing here).

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »

If you're spending $200 on getting wireless, you're doing it wrong. You don't need a $180 router and you don't need the wireless N. If all you do is play games, ventrilo, and web browsing you are spending way too much. This should all be under $80 and even that's a lot. I'll look on newegg when I get home but my advice is to not buy this. Unless of course money is no issue, then go ahead with it.

Also $70 pci card...WTF? Oh wait, it's Best Buy...i should have expected it...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:00:37 AM by *MAFIA* Scooby »

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »

OK so I got my laptop, and need to set up a wireless network now. From looking at this thread, it looks like all i need to get is a router (which i can get for free from comcast).  What i wanted to know though is do i need an adaptor for my desktop computer? Or can i still have that wired to my modem? The laptop, wii, psp, and ipods all have built in wireless card stuff but my old desktop would need an adapter if its going to lose its wired connection to the modem.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.