*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 26, 2024, 09:25:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Video card fan, can it be replaced?  (Read 2770 times)

Loaded

Video card fan, can it be replaced?
« on: May 26, 2005, 06:45:57 AM »

Well my card fan is taking a shit on me AGAIN (making noise). The 1st one was under warranty so I was able to take the card back and get a new one. Has anyone ever replaced the card fan? If you have what did you use? I have a ATI 9600pro 128mb. The fane DOSE have screw holding it on, so I can only assume I can remove it.

Here is a pic of the card (more or less)…

I guess I could try ATI and see if they will send me just the fan, but I don’t think that will happen.

Swampfox

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 08:39:52 AM »

what kind of noise is it making? can you take a drop of 3 in 1 oil and lube the bearing

Loaded

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 08:51:54 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Swampfox
what kind of noise is it making? can you take a drop of 3 in 1 oil and lube the bearing

No I don't think that will work. It is making a noise as if the fan is hitting the heat sink. That is the biggest problem with this fan I think, there isn't any bearings.

Maybe I answered my own question about fan replacement… I found this for $22.00.

I can’t believe what is out there for cooling v-cards, some cool stuff. I guess you don’t know what is out there until you need something.

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 09:42:06 AM »

If the noise is bothering you you could always get something like this.

I have one of these but i dont use it anymore. It worked fine though, thats not why I don't use it. I got it for a 9800 card I bought because I thought it was overheating. Turned out the card was defective anyway, but this thing cooled it down IMMENSELY. Its pretty cheap too, I think I got mine for around $30 on ebay and that was like 4-5 months ago.

Loaded

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 09:45:47 AM »

UM, WOW... I think that is over kill for this little 9600 card, but that is cool. GOD I wish I could start making a new computer!

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »

Well pawpaw if its hitting the heatsink trim the fucker if its going bad thats a custom matched heatsink to fan if you have other cards near it then you cant just slap any heatsink fan you want to it also the old heatsink is glued to the chip you could remove it but you also may damage the chip so best bet is to fix the old one and best of luck.

You could look on ebay for one like yours someone oc'ed and fried and buy it for the fan.

If you want a new computer your gonna need to beg momma ;)

Loaded

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:26:12 PM »

Really it is glued? So what you are saying is the screws ARE holding the fan on, but I would have a problem trying to get a fan to fit ON the ATI sink. That sucks. Well I will see what happens in the AM when I turn the box on because the noise went away after everything heated up (same thing that happen to the last card, no noise after heat up). FUCK ME.

I'll try to write something to ATI about it, never know until you try I guess.

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 03:52:52 PM »

Hm, I don't know if its glued or not but I know I took off the one on that 9800 card i had just fine.

Loaded

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Ins4n3
Hm, I don't know if its glued or not but I know I took off the one on that 9800 card i had just fine.

Well when the times comes I'll go for it. I have some old shit thing here that will get me by if I mess it up. I think it could be as old as some ppl here. Remember this anyone...

ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP x2

Well not that old it says 1997 on the card. BUT looking for this card I found a fan from my VERY OLD 333 cpu that looks just like the fan on the v-card, but damn it its to big and 12 volt.

Toblerone

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 07:55:06 PM »

yeah the heatsinks are glued to the chip, Ive tried to remove one before.

Loaded

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »

I have to look around the net for install instructions for my card on replacement fans and see what they have to say, I would think there has to be a SAFE way to remove that sink.

Here it is installed on a ATI 700... I don’t know how you guys feel, but I DON’T like the way it goes on, what’s up with the pressure clamp on the back of the board.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 30 queries.