*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 28, 2024, 08:11:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Open DNS  (Read 2202 times)

Thunder

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Open DNS
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »

Fuck it. Anyone know how to get around it? My dad signed up/downloaded/started using it to block my sister from Facebook and playing games. However, since it effects all users of the network, I am blocked too (which means I can't connect to the server). This isn't a big deal since I leave for college on Saturday, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to get around it just for future reference. Thanks.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Open DNS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »

In the router, sign in info needed... Go to dads computer, maybe you will be lucky and he has the info saved and auto sign in. If you are on that computer when reading this, Address (click it), http://192.168.1.1/ (maybe, you can find the address on the net for the router used) That's the best I got for ya.

Thunder

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »

Thanks a lot. I will give that a try. I appreciate the help.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »

Hard Code your IP i.e. Give yourself a static based on the current IP range. You've got to think of how the request is being processed, you try to go to 'www.facebook.c om' or whatever hostname, the DNS server i.e. Open DNS on the router denies the request and sends you either to a denial page or to nothing at all (Usually to localhost '127.0.0.1').

Knowing this then it is just a matter of bypassing the requested DNS server to a different one i.e. your ISP assigned DNS.

Step 1. Find out your local IP range

From a command prompt, Windows Vista & 7, Start > Programs > Accessories > Run

Type in 'cmd' in the run prompt

From the command prompt type: 'ipconfig'

That will give your IP address, should be somewhere along the lines of what loaded mentioned i.e. 192.168.1.1-255 or possibly 192.168.254.1-255, 99% of the time it's going to be a class C subnet. i.e. 255.255.255.0

Step 2 (Alternate 1). Logging onto the router/gateway

Now that we have our IP range we can logon to the router/gateway

If your IP range is 192.168.1.1-255 try logging onto the router which is usually the first octet in the IP range i.e. http://192.168.1.1

Dollars to donuts your father didn't change the admin password, try Username: admin, Password: admin or no password, it's all dependent on the model

Once logged into the router you can wreak all kinds of havok, i.e. change whatever you need to if you have the experience... If you do not see below

Step 2 (Alternate 2). Changing you DNS manually

Run command prompt as seen in Step 1 except this time add the following switch to the end of the command '/all' so the command should look like 'ipconfig /all'

This will give you your complete IP configuration information, i.e. IP Address, Gateway, and DNS that is assigned from the router

Windows XP, Control Panel, Classic View, Network Connections, Local Area Connection, Properties, TCP/IP Settings, Set your IP address as the current one you have that you got from the command prompt i.e. 192.168.1.x

Set your gateway as your router's IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1

Set your DNS to a Free DNS server such as google's Public DNS project: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Close and Save all Windows and try to surf using the Static IP settings.

Step 2 (Alternate 3) Browse blocked sites by IP Address

Naturally DNS blocking does not allow your system to resolve DNS host names to IP's i.e. Pinging www.facebook.c om to it's IP address of 66.220.153.11 will not work on your system because resolving is blocked BUT if you knew the IP then you could try taking that IP into a browser to see if it will resolve. 

In other words, plug in http://66.220.153.11 into an internet browser and see if it will let your browse to Facebook.

Let me know of any questions.

Somebody best +Rep me for letting loose the IT Demon inside of me as well.  :evil:

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 31 queries.