*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 23, 2024, 06:14:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Tips on speeding up a computer.  (Read 45705 times)

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
Tips on speeding up a computer.
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »

So with this new laptop, i've got a fairly fast computer now and I really don't need to bother with my old desktop unless the laptop is being used by a parent or my sister, etc. which is good because It runs super slow and takes a good five to ten minutes after starting up before its even usable to go on the internet, open Itunes, etc. I was wondering though, if you guys have any tips for speeding up a slow computer. I updated some drivers on it, ran a registry cleaner, got rid of a few unneccesary programs, cleaned up the desktop, ran malwarebytes to get rid of some trojans and adware, and turned off a few visual effects. But none of these seem to have made any significant changes in the amount of time it takes to load programs and open windows and start up and stuff.

So are there any tips that you know of and/or have tried personally to speed up a slow computer?

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on speeding up a computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »

Download CCleaner. Click on Tools, then startup, and you'll see a bunch of programs. Right click and either delete or disable. This prevents them from starting up when your computer starts.

Run disk defrag on it, get rid of iTunes. Even on fast computers, itunes takes a while to start up.

Or you can just format the whole thing and start clean. Even if you've kept your computer clean, after many months it will still slow down.

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »

2nded for CCleaner.  Don't bother with registry cleaners, they do nothing and just run the risk of corrupting something.  Also, to stop unnecessary garbage from starting up, hit start, run, type msconfig and hit enter.  Go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that doesn't need to be starting up with the computer.   What are the computers specs (OS, 32vs64bit, ram, cpu)?

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »

If you opt for a format here's something to consider.

When I setup my computer I generally partition the drive(s) in the following manner.

One Drive or Partition for the O/S
One or more Drive(s) or Partition(s) for Files
One Drive or Partition for Program / Installation Files

Before I do a format of the O/S I backup the entire registry.

I format only one partition/drive, the O/S installation. From there after a reinstall the O/S I overwrite the registry with the backed up one. I don't spend hours upon hours re-downloading and reinstalling everything under the sun to get my system back to the way I like it.

Naturally you'll want to get your registry and files in a fairly clean state before exporting so you down re-upload the crap back onto your computer after the installation. For that, I too recommend CCleaner.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:49:31 AM »

2nded for CCleaner.  Don't bother with registry cleaners, they do nothing and just run the risk of corrupting something.  Also, to stop unnecessary garbage from starting up, hit start, run, type msconfig and hit enter.  Go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that doesn't need to be starting up with the computer.   What are the computers specs (OS, 32vs64bit, ram, cpu)?
Its a Dell Dimension with an Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM. And its running windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit).

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:51 AM »

vvvvvv You just blew all his mental circuits with that... ^^^^^^ See he pasted right by your reply.

If you opt for a format here's something to consider.

When I setup my computer I generally partition the drive(s) in the following manner.

One Drive or Partition for the O/S
One or more Drive(s) or Partition(s) for Files
One Drive or Partition for Program / Installation Files

Before I do a format of the O/S I backup the entire registry.

I format only one partition/drive, the O/S installation. From there after a reinstall the O/S I overwrite the registry with the backed up one. I don't spend hours upon hours re-downloading and reinstalling everything under the sun to get my system back to the way I like it.

Naturally you'll want to get your registry and files in a fairly clean state before exporting so you down re-upload the crap back onto your computer after the installation. For that, I too recommend CCleaner.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »

vvvvvv You just blew all his mental circuits with that... ^^^^^^ See he pasted right by your reply.

I didnt pass right by it, I just figured replying to waffleboy's post with the specs would be more useful than saying "balth thats way too complex for me" because it is lol. I'm sure you could walk me through it, but for i'd probly just end up wiping my hard drive clean or something.

ALSO: I ran CCleaner and cleaned up a bunch of junk. I ran XP's disk defragmenter too. Although since my hard drive is like 80% full, i'm not sure that made much of a difference. I also opened a task manager as my computer was starting up to see what was making it run so slow, and saw that some comcast antispy program (that i didnt even know i had) was hogging up to 50% of the cpu. And when malwarebytes finally started up on it, that started using a good 20% as well. So that's probly a reason why my computer was taking so long to warm up i'm guessing? They might have been conflicting. Anyways I got rid of the antispy program and it helped a little...I'm going to try restarting the computer now and time how long it takes before it starts.

EDIT: It took a good 18 mins after booting up before I could open an internet browser or even a folder. That's ridiculous. The taskbar just stays frozen and whatever I try clicking on doesnt open. Then after 18 mins, everything I clicked on opens up all at once.

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »

Try running TDSSKiller by kaspersky (just google it) to see if you have a nasty rootkit and do a full scan with Malwarebytes.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

Bob, I think you should just get a Mac. No hassles like these and it's pretty much retard-proof...kinda.

Head Hunter

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »

Semi-necro post but I killed my computer a few months ago using Ccleaner and not backing up changes. Must have deleted something important.

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 01:36:29 PM »

Semi-necro post but I killed my computer a few months ago using Ccleaner and not backing up changes. Must have deleted something important.
Cool story bro.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »

Full retard.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »

Try running TDSSKiller by kaspersky (just google it) to see if you have a nasty rootkit and do a full scan with Malwarebytes.
For some reason I didn't see your post. But i'll try that next time I actually boot it up.  We have two laptops now so we've been using them instead of the PC because its   so slow it seems beyond help now.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »

Bob, I think you should just get a Mac. No hassles like these and it's pretty much retard-proof...kinda.
Never saw that post. Are you mad I have a mac? Or just bitter in general? Is it because you are ugly? Never been laid? Disliked by most? Indian? Look like a terrorist?

Does anyone remember when Roshan was a big fucking pussy? I sure as hell do. The only difference is now you figured out your have a web browser between you and the people you talk to. 100 bucks says your still just as much of a huge pussy in real life.

But I digress...

Bob
Its a Dell Dimension with an Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM. And its running windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit).

Obviously not the problem but... Get yourself some more ram.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »

Never saw that post. Are you mad I have a mac? Or just bitter in general? Is it because you are ugly? Never been laid? Disliked by most? Indian? Look like a terrorist?

Does anyone remember when Roshan was a big fucking pussy? I sure as hell do. The only difference is now you figured out your have a web browser between you and the people you talk to. 100 bucks says your still just as much of a huge pussy in real life.

lololol I ain't even mad. It's not my fault that you bought a $2k computer and can't figure out how to use it.

It's funny, in every one of your rebuttals against me, you've always brought up the words "terrorist" and "pussy". Can you try with something new? It really doesn't offend me and you're not getting anywhere with it. If you assume that Indians are terrorists, you are one of the contributing factors in how Americans are becoming more stupid compared to other nations around the world. Grow up and learn the world around you.

I also find your selection of generalization s quite amusing and yet also weak. Do you always pretend that anyone who speaks against you or makes fun of you is a total loser and lowlife? You're saying that I only talk smack on here because I'm on a computer and not in real life. Aren't you doing the same? Wouldn't that mean that you're a pussy also?

Why do you ask "is it because you are ugly?" What does ugly have anything to do with all of this? If you're going to start comparing looks, isn't that a bit gay and childish?

Also, nobody cares how tough you are in your real life. I'm sure a lot of people could beat me up, but I'm not the violent fighting type of person. If you want to live your life proving to others that you are tough and they should be scared of you, good luck to you. How is one a pussy in real life? Should I take steroids and then post pictures of my muscles to prove that I'm not? Enlighten me on this please. Also post examples of what you "remember when Roshan was a big fucking pussy".

You know, I have sort of a mental list of people in this clan who can't handle criticism and get butthurt. I'm sure you know some of them, like MG, Bonehead, Angel.......We lcome, you are now the newest addition to the club!

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.