*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 18, 2024, 11:07:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Tips on speeding up a computer.  (Read 45239 times)

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on speeding up a computer.
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »

I can sell that graphics card for twice what I paid for it and get all my money back plus some.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2012, 05:55:54 AM »

^^^ I have to agree with that. If you could get more then you would have paid more in the bidding.

Install the card... No, leave the drivers alone for the on board. Like I said before, you either have to turn the on board off by either going into the BIOS or removing a jumper on the board, maybe possible the on board will turn off on its own when the new GPU is installed. Goggle your board with that question and see what is the correct way.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD3850-512MB-Graphics/dp/B00145CQUC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

That's how much people are paying for it on Amazon.  Way more than I paid, and they don't make them anymore even though its the best AGP card you can get. If I had five people bidding on this one card, then that means there's at least that many willing to buy it.  The only reason I didn't end up paying more in the bidding is because my highest bid was .75 cents higher then the guy that bid at the very last second, and he didn't have any time to outbid me.

I'm pretty sure I can do what Loaded said and just install the new card, and it'll override my onboard graphics, but i'll look into it more. Right now, I have to buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter, because the guy I bought it from on Ebay didn't include one and I need VGA out for my monitor.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »

I think you should just buy a pre-built PC off of Dell or something and save everyone the future trouble of upcoming problems with your current build.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »

Ok so for about a hundred and ten bucks, I took a computer that used to take twenty minutes just to boot up and made it run faster than my laptop.  I installed the new power supply with no problems, and the graphics card went in fine too. The only pain was getting the RAM cards into their slots. I really had to shove them in. But now It runs everything i've thrown at it perfectly, and I get way better FPS than my laptop.  I'll install battlefield on it now, and play 1942 if anybody ever gets on. Maybe i'll get battlefield 2 too, and see how it runs...so ya, Suck it roshan.

Oh and if you still think I wasted my money,  I know a lot more about computers now then when I started, and made sixty bucks helping one friend get rid of a virus, and another with upgrading his.

:danceroll:

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »

$110 is not that bad for an updgrade that will hopefully last several years.  I'll be playing 1942 and BF2, just get on ventrilo...

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »

RAM gets "tilted" into place not pushed straight down. You got lucky if you pushed straight down, most times the holder will crack.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »

play 1942 if anybody ever gets on. Maybe i'll get battlefield 2 too, and see how it runs....

Welcome to 2006.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »

RAM gets "tilted" into place not pushed straight down. You got lucky if you pushed straight down, most times the holder will crack.
Thanks, i'll remember that for next time haha. Wish I had known that before though.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »

Thanks, i'll remember that for next time haha. Wish I had known that before though.

What he said is incorrect. With today's RAM, you need to tap it into place with a hammer or any other object because the clips won't click properly if you don't apply enough force. If the RAM is seated only partially, your computer will be much slower than if it were utilizing the full chip.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2012, 03:18:25 AM »

Um yea, that would work too.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2012, 10:55:48 PM »

What he said is incorrect. With today's RAM, you need to tap it into place with a hammer or any other object because the clips won't click properly if you don't apply enough force. If the RAM is seated only partially, your computer will be much slower than if it were utilizing the full chip.
Well that's what I practically ended up doing and it worked haha. Speaking of RAM, I know you guys said 4 gigs minimum but 2.5 is doing just fine for me right now.  That dayZ game looks pretty fun, I think once I'm done taking all my placement tests for college then I'll have to buy Arma2 so I can play it. My Internet connection in my room is pretty crappy though, so I might look into getting a wifi repeater. Anybody have any experience with using one of those?

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 30 queries.