*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 26, 2024, 03:07:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: shopping list  (Read 10983 times)

*MAFIA* Dempy

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • COPPERBOLLOCKS
    • View Profile
shopping list
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »

i was thinking of getting another computer and this is the stuff i was thinking of getting
just wondering if anyones got any ideas for what to get or if this lot will work together thanks

gfx card = ATI Radeon HD 5870

motherboard = Asus Crosshair IV Extreme ROG Edition 890FX Socket AM3 Extended ATX Motherboard

processor = Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz

memory = Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

case and cpu = Coolermaster HAF X with Coolermaster GX 750W PSU

soundcard = Asus Xonar Essence ST Soundcard

hdd = Seagate Constellation ES ST32000644NS 2TB SATA Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB Cache - OEM

op drive = LG BH10LS30 10x BD-RE with DVD±RW & LightScribe SATA Blu-Ray Drive

exhdd = Buffalo JustStore 1TB External Hard Drive Hi Speed USB

os = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit

monitor = Samsung SyncMaster P2450H TFT LCD 24" HDMI Monitor

keyboard = Logitech G19 Keyboard with Colour LCD Display

mouse = Cyborg R.A.T 9 Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse 5600DPI

headset = Logitech G930 Wireless Gaming Headset - 2.4Ghz

speakers = Logitech Z-5500 Speakers 5.1 Surround Sound 505W RMS
Defenders may not have air bags but, truth be told, you don't hit things in a Defender you go through them!

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: shopping list
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »

You're an idiot.

You have an AMD motherboard and an Intel CPU. Do you see what's wrong here? If not, I'll wait until you order the parts and try to put it together.

You don't need 16GB of RAM. You will never use it. 4-8GB is plenty enough.

The power supply is not modular, meaning ALL the cables are attached to it. It's going to look really nasty in your case with all the extra wires you won't need.

Unless you're hooking this system up to a home theater system or really high end speakers, you don't need a soundcard anymore. The onboard audio has gotten to a point where it's good enough and you don't need to spend extra money. If you have the money though, why not.

Is your harddrive going to be your boot drive? If so, dont use 2TB for that. Get an SSD if you have the money and put your OS on that. Then use 500GB or 1TB drives for your media folders. Western Digital Caviar Black and Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives are good.

Windows 7 - pirate it if you want to save money.

Logitech G series keyboards suck. If you have the money get a mechanical keyboard.

I'll build you something when I get home in a few hours. What's your price range?

*MAFIA* Dempy

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • COPPERBOLLOCKS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:21:48 AM »

cheers scooby thats what i wanted to know of it would work all i did was look around at specs and reviews ive never built my own so thats why i wanted some advice

well i got a bond for my bday for £10k is like $16k so i got the money to spend if you could put up here a really good system dont mind the money spend
thanks 

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »

Good god dempy, 16k available? Better buy a 54inch led tv for the display on it.

Scoob covered every problem I found so he has the right idea in all of this.

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »

This is what I would do:

GPU: For 200 bucks, grab an AMD 6870, or for about 250 buy an Nvidia gtx 470, or for 350 get an Nvidia gtx 570.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (only 30 bucks more, better architecture, faster clock speed, and more OCing headroom) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=i7_2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product
Motherboard: Something along these lines: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131667  only about 115.
RAM: 8GB of ddr3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345 a bit over 100 bucks.
Case: Doesn't really matter, whatever appeals to you, but you can get a nice one for 100 bucks.
Soundcard: I wouldn't bother honestly, but if you have a really good speaker setup, then just get whatever card has good reviews.
Op Drive: Yours is fine, doesn't matter much.
HDD: Depending on how much you have to store, I would bump that down to 1-1.5 TB and grab a 60 or 128 GB SSD.  Get a Sandforce controlled drive or a Crucial C3000 if you can.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

16k to blow?

Shit son....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133089&cm_re=thermaltake_level_10-_-11-133-089-_-Product

Case problem solved!

Is that not fucking gorgeous?

As far as components, Waffle has it covered. Sandy bridge is a beast with the integrated graphics controller on the chip and you can clock that bitch at a ridiculous rate... on air!

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »

Haha I prefer this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067&cm_re=nzxt_phantom-_-11-146-067-_-Product

It's cheap and I love the aesthetics of it :)

The only unfortunate thing about Sandy Bridge is, last time I checked, though it gets crazy clocks on air, there's quickly a wall after about 5GHz (I know, only 5 Ghz lol), so there's almost no point in more advanced cooling.  This could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective, but I don't think you can do much more even with DICE or LN2 suicide runs.

*MAFIA* Dempy

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • COPPERBOLLOCKS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »

balth wow yeah thats sexy what ive been thinking is if i dont get back into the air force im going to move to the us as this country is boring me tbh
im looking for sickest gaming machine i can buy with my money and  54inch screen is way too big

ether if i stay or the us ill be getting a better comp so im guna put im limit on the pc at like $5k and the rest is for moving

cheers guys if ya got anymore ideas just put them in

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »

I wouldn't blow 5K on a PC, spend about 2 grand and put the rest in savings for your next computer/upgrade.  The marginal utility of spending the extra 3000 is virtually nill and won't get you much better performance, just save it for later when it will actually make a difference :)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »

I wouldn't blow 5K on a PC, spend about 2 grand and put the rest in savings for your next computer/upgrade.  The marginal utility of spending the extra 3000 is virtually nill and won't get you much better performance, just save it for later when it will actually make a difference :)
This. I would never spend more than 1,6k on a computer. Also, that sexy case you gave Waffle. You make me want to buy as I have this.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »

im going to move to the us as this country is boring me tbh

Move to California if you do, best state.

About the comp, can't SSDs only be re-written so many times? I know almost nothing about them, this geek kid at work was complaining how he would burn one up too quickly if he bought it.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133089&cm_re=thermaltake_level_10-_-11-133-089-_-Product

Case problem solved!

Is that not fucking gorgeous?

As far as components, Waffle has it covered. Sandy bridge is a beast with the integrated graphics controller on the chip and you can clock that bitch at a ridiculous rate... on air!

That case is a dust magnet. It's also super hipster and for that price, sucks. Reviews didn't speak too highly of it.

Integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge is disabled once you install a dedicated video card.

The Intel Core i5 chips that have only a number (i5 2600) can only overclock a couple Mhz. If you get the K version of it (i5 2600 K), then you will be able to fully overclock.

About the comp, can't SSDs only be re-written so many times? I know almost nothing about them, this geek kid at work was complaining how he would burn one up too quickly if he bought it.

The first part of you reply is partly true. SSD's don't do too well with many write cycles but you will probably not come near that limit in the time you have that drive. It is said that the performance degrades slightly with more writes but that's a long time away. That is why they say you should never defrag an SSD because it's bad for it in the longrun.

Also, that kid sounds like a complete retard. He sounds like one of those Mac users who say they use a Mac because PC's get viruses.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »

I'm building you a computer on Newegg and will post the links to the parts once I'm done.

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

NO SCOOBY MACS R BETTARER BCUZ NO VIRUSES AND SAFE AND GOOD!

/trolling

I've had an SSD for around 6 months and haven't seen any degradation.  You do need to make some tweaks though to prevent extraneous writes.  For example, limiting page file, changing where certain files are stored, disabling defragmentatio n, etc.  You also probably will have to change the default location of your library (which isn't hard) and change the bios setting (I don't even have any clue what the setting is called, I just know you have to change it) from SATA to AHCI.  Oh and you'll want Windows 7 so you can use TRIM, which helps prevent performance degradation.

I don't want to put you off from a SSD, it takes maybe an hour of extra work to set up an is definitely worth it. My windows load times were reduced by about 50% and core programs I installed on the SSD (firefox, office, etc) load MUCH MUCH faster.  You can look at the read/write speeds and see they're much better than traditional HDDs, and this is true, but the real advantage is the virtually non-existent access times.

EDIT:

You should get eight of these in RAID 0: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227517

By the way, see if you can snag this case:

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »

http://www.mafiaowns.com/mfs/ih/Newegg.png

I tried making the wishlist public so that you can click and edit but it hasn't updated yet.

Keyboard is left out since you can pick whatever you want, not a huge deal. Same with monitor, everyone has their own size and preferences they like.

This system will last you for a long time. I didn't put crazy things in there that cost a lot because you would never use the full advantage of them and it would be a total waste of money and power.

If you're going to game on high resolutions with everything turned on, you can add another video card in there and Crossfire it to get more performance.

Waffle, feel free to suggest any changes. I will try to post the link once it goes into the public section. Or is there any other way to post it?

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 30 queries.