*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 25, 2024, 04:53:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 11288 times)

Dymdez

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Religion
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:41 PM »

A tender topic, yes. But I'm curious as to what all of your views are, if any. What do you believe in and why?

I'm an atheist. I believe in human decency, logic, and rationality.

P.S. To be honest, I'd sense a lot of other atheists/agnostics here as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IronMan

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »

Atheist here.Beatlejuice believes in those fairytale books though

*MAFIA* Malbert

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »

A tender topic, yes. But I'm curious as to what all of your views are, if any. What do you believe in and why?

P.S. To be honest, I'd sense a lot of other atheists/agnostics here as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.
do you believe there is an afterlife?

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:29:05 AM »

I believe in the ghost of christmas past.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?topic=4021.0

Also...

I have examined many different religions, it's a hobby of mine...

Common belief systems from Christianity all the way to the Eastern belief systems such as Hinduism and everything in-between.

It has been an observation of mine that part of the human condition is to, at times, look within and outward and wonder of the great mysteries including who are we and why are we here?

I think belief systems provide a means of fulfilling some form of a answer to these common questions.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:16:06 AM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Although, my faith in humanity is waning with each passing day.  I don't believe in an afterlife, or any higher being, and i'll found out when I die whether I was right or wrong.  If I'm right, it won't matter.  If i'm wrong, then I don't think any "loving god" would sentence me to an eternity of suffering;  I'm a very moral person.

*MAFIA* Manowar

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Hail and Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:03:44 AM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Although, my faith in humanity is waning with each passing day.  I don't believe in an afterlife, or any higher being, and I'll found out when I die whether I was right or wrong.  If I'm right, it won't matter.  If I'm wrong, then I don't think any "loving god" would sentence me to an eternity of suffering;  I'm a very moral person.

Aids = Ain't Interested Denying Salvation.    :evil:

Agnostic Here.

Ultimate embarrassment, running into a wall with a boner and breaking your nose first.

*MAFIA* KaMiKaZe JaP

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »

I'm an Atheist, but I respect other peoples beliefs and look into the reasonable parts of them. I have my own belief that when we die, our brain keeps working in our own realm like the classic "white room", where we have an intense feeling of peace and happiness that people would call Heaven. But my difference is that we don't connect with other people and their consciousness in there, rather we make our own people from our memories and continue that way. I actually know a guy who had heart disease and died once, then got revived and said that's pretty much what he saw. He died again on Christmas. I don't pray, but instead I figure out how to fix what I would be praying about, because praying is horse shit.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »

We've been through this discussion in more threads than one.  I usually try to stay out simply because it turns into a big joke.  Anyway - I'm a Christian.  I believe in the bible.  It's a very long book with many chapters and pages.  Do I know everything in it?  No.  Do I follow everything in it?  I try, but being human, I am NOT perfect and come up short.  I believe that I sin, as well as non-Christians.  I don't think I'm greater or better than anybody else.  The difference between me and the majority of you here is that I believe in Jesus Christ and through Him I have eternal life.  I try to live my life based on the example He set in the new testament.  There's much more to get in to, but I'm not trying to argue with you guys or prove you wrong or me right.  It's just a personal decision we all have to make.  If you have questions, you can read the bible or I can try to answer...

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »

So I don't know a whole lot about the Bible or Christianity since I've never been taught that stuff but now I'm starting to become interested in learning about all the different religions.

The Bible is split up into 2 parts, the New and Old Testament, right? But I've noticed that many people only follow one version. If they follow only one part, then how can they consider themselves following the Bible since they would only be reading half of the stuff?

If you are following the New Testament, why do people refer to phrases from the Old Testament when certain issues come up? For example on homosexuality, they use stuff from the Old in an argument but then ignore everything else?

Why do people pick and choose what they want to believe/preach from either testament? I know there's some stuff like you can't work on Sunday, eat shellfish, and that women must be under the command of men. But then people ignore that stuff but continue preaching other parts (like that homosexuality bits).

IronMan

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »

If I died and went to Heaven or hell, what the fuck should I do there? WHAT THE FUCK DO I LIVE FOR IF IM FUCKING DEAD?

Dymdez

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

We've been through this discussion in more threads than one.  I usually try to stay out simply because it turns into a big joke.  Anyway - I'm a Christian.  I believe in the bible.  It's a very long book with many chapters and pages.  Do I know everything in it?  No.  Do I follow everything in it?  I try, but being human, I am NOT perfect and come up short.  I believe that I sin, as well as non-Christians.  I don't think I'm greater or better than anybody else.  The difference between me and the majority of you here is that I believe in Jesus Christ and through Him I have eternal life.  I try to live my life based on the example He set in the new testament.  There's much more to get in to, but I'm not trying to argue with you guys or prove you wrong or me right.  It's just a personal decision we all have to make.  If you have questions, you can read the bible or I can try to answer...

I think that should be less of a statement...yo u can't really say for a fact that you have eternal life. Let me ask you, why do you believe a higher power?

BOB I FUCKING MISS YOU.

Malbert - No I do not.

And Scooby, it's because it gives them a self empowering feeling. The defense they have against others is not solid, and has many gaps in it. So in order to fill these gaps, they typically pick and choose what fits best. In a good religious debate (is there such thing?), a nonbeliever is usually able to catch the theist eating their words on something they said in the previous minutes.

Here's how I see the whole thing, plain and simple. You can't prove there is a god, however no one can prove there isn't. But why throw in with something that could be true, when you can follow the advancements in science and humanity as a whole that are based solely on fact and empirical evidence?

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »

I think that should be less of a statement...yo u can't really say for a fact that you have eternal life. Let me ask you, why do you believe a higher power?

How can it be "less" of a statement?  I said I BELIEVE in Jesus Christ and through Him I have eternal life.  That is what I believe.  I'm not saying you have to believe the same thing, and I'm not going to argue with you.  I believe in a higher power because I've read the bible and I find it to be true.  If you don't, then ok great.  Good luck catching me eating my words.  This is why I stay out of these pointless debates.

(p.s. - Scooby, what he said is not true, just his personal opinion that may be correct in some cases but certainly not all.  Hopefully you're smart enough to have already figured that out)

Dymdez

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 11:57:34 PM »

Hmm ok I misinterpreted, my fault.

P.S. Scooby, it's not all, I never said that, just most. The harder they try to back their beliefs, the quicker they grab for what's within reach. Before you know it, the holes can only be filled with truth. (< Insert dirty joke)

Edit: Oh and they have full potential to not be "pointless debates". If you open your mind, and maybe try to learn something, they can be useful. I spend a lot of my time in religious debates, and instead of pushing my beliefs, I listen to others, so that I get a better perspective of the other side. It allows one to be well versed all around. A great man once said, "I wish closed minds came with closed mouths".

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.