*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 27, 2024, 08:29:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: DayZ: The Best Zombie Sim  (Read 14973 times)

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
DayZ: The Best Zombie Sim
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:47:31 AM »

No one has ever heard of Arma2, but in the past 2 months its mod, DayZ, has shot up in popularity.

http://dayzmod.com/?About

It's an "anti-game" multiplayer Zombie Sim where you spawn  on the beaches of a map that is 252 square kilometers with 1 bandage, 1 painkillers, 1 flashlight, and 1 backpack. That's it. You have to go out and find food and water before you die of thirst/hunger in a few real-time hours. You should also find some sort of weapon because nothing you spawn with is a weapon, and zombies tend to fuck your shit up. There is no regeneration of your health in this game; it is set at 12000 total blood that you will start to lose if you are hit. When you're hit or shot (by other players) you will start to bleed out uncontrollably until you bandage yourself with your one bandage or others you find. The only way to get your health/blood back is to use a  bloodpack to have a blood transfusion, but this requires the assistance of another player. Find a gun or ax for protection, get a surplus of food, get a bigger backpack, then fuck up every other player you come across. By the way, this game is in real time based on the server location. If it's night for the server, it's night in game, and nighttime in this game is a whole different subject. Your character is also "persistent" across all DayZ servers; you have the same guy with the same equipment in all of the servers even it you logged out or just played on a single server.

Also the average lifespan of a player is officially tracked at 35 minutes.

*MAFIA* masebot1

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Mason's art site
Re: DayZ: The Best Zombie Sim
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »

Once I have the time too install it I will also be getting the mod for it.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

How much money is it?  The download link on the site says alpha test, so do you download straight from Steam, like Origin?  I haven't logged into Steam since the mid-2000s while playing Counter-Strike.  And what are the specs?  Sgt. Bob might want to run this on with his windows xp and new agp card.  I'm sticking with BF3 and BF1942, but I wouldn't mind giving this a shot if the price is right and there are several of us playing.  However, the thought of wandering around aimlessly for 30 minutes until you die doesn't sound too great...

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »

You have to buy Arma2 Combined Operations in order to play the mod DayZ. There is a free trial of Arma2 that you can use to see if your system can handle the game, but this will not work at all with the DayZ mod http://www.arma2.com/free/

The full version is $30 on steam, but during the summer sale, it's only $24. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4638/

You just have to enjoy the idea of wandering for hours just trying to survive. I don't think it's much of an acquired taste.

*MAFIA* masebot1

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Mason's art site
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »

idk i had to get combined ops. guess i am going back too steam.

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »

idk i had to get combined ops. guess i am going back too steam.

Combined operations just includes Operation Arrowhead.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »

How do the servers work?  If 4 of us decide we want to go in the same server, could we spawn on the beach together and try to survive in a group?

I found this video, but they all have guns already.  Still, it's entertaining:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

*MAFIA* masebot1

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Mason's art site
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »

How do the servers work?  If 4 of us decide we want to go in the same server, could we spawn on the beach together and try to survive in a group?

I found this video, but they all have guns already.  Still, it's entertaining:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

I was kinda wondering that too. Don't want to be spending our time taking 40 mins to find each other.

Well i sorta run it smoothly but it is hard too tell because of the fucking motionblur JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 02:30:43 AM »

The spawns are random, so you have to find a place to group up. Most of the time it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to even 2 hours to find each other, depending on how far you are.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

This looks hilarious. Good concept, but it lacks a good game engine. I'm gonna pass on this unless you guys find it a lot of fun... I just don't see it.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

This looks hilarious. Good concept, but it lacks a good game engine.
Really? I mean I know dick about game engines, but I thought the Arma2 engine was supposed to be fanfuckingtast ic
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »

ArmA 2's engine is great, but most computers today can't run it on highest settings due to how much AI there is. Its also buggy as fuck, even after they fixed most of the critical bugs a year ago.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »

ArmA 2's engine is great, but most computers today can't run it on highest settings due to how much AI there is. Its also buggy as fuck, even after they fixed most of the critical bugs a year ago.
So what your saying is its not a great engine? Hah, what then makes it a good engine?

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »

The projectile system that the engine uses is probably the best in any game engine currently out of the market. It allows for ridiculously sized maps/view distance before lag becomes problem (15km or something for view distance - if BF3 would do this, it would die), its AI is probably better than most games on the market, for an FPS. The physics system is also very well done, most like Source. The engine has its short comings, but the game looks really good for that came out in 2009 and looks about as good as BF3 (imo).

*MAFIA* masebot1

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Mason's art site
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »

I have everything on low or verylow. shadows are disabled, also my visibility is set too 500

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.