*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 23, 2024, 06:08:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Problems with battlefield 1942 load.  (Read 3149 times)

Sheldon

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Problems with battlefield 1942 load.
« on: December 06, 2004, 09:33:24 PM »

1. the system will either try and load and generate an access violation error at a memory address location. OR

2. load... then blackscreen and then go back to desktop with limited video driver settings and you cant change or fix them without rebooting.

my brother and parent.. (bro = Mr. Tibbles) are both very frustrated with this.. I had to format his machine not to long ago. Im an IT, computer programmer and server administrator. .. so I know my way around Windows and Linux.

My main question is... is there any conflict with drivers/hardware or what not with this game.. I dont know much about the game/and its requirements and really havent kept up with the latest hardware conflict issues. However I do know that just simply playing a game fine for 3 months and then all of a sudden having problems just inst... how do we say... not normal. I realise quirk things can go wrong.. but after a freshly formatted system and re-installed battlefield with latest 1.6 patch (full patch not incremental) is installed and working just fine. And then without really a warning the game just decides to not load and lock up and start causing problems... what causes this?

My father blames it on hitting ctrl alt del and ending the task for the game.. While yeah ok your halting the process for the game, this is not a usual characteristic of Win32 programs.. atleast not in my experience which is 7+ years. (atleast post Win98) Is a file getting corrupted? I dont know.

The system has the following hardware specs
AMD Athlon XP 2600 Barton Core
1GB DDR 400mhz RAM
80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Drive
GeForce 5200 128mb
Asus A7N8X nForce 2 Motherboard Chipset

I will mention a hardware problem I have been having with the machine which might be causing some problems... However it worked fine for about 3 months.

The system starts up VERY slow... about 32 revolutions of the animated progress bar. Which I might add is beyond slow.... thats crawling. However if I update the drivers with the latest on the nVidia site, it loads in 4.. but either blue screens or crashes. ... Thought to myself.. ok.. Asus modified the crap outta the nVidia chipset revision. So I went and grabbed the driver set from Asus... while these worked without a hitch.. the system load time is still 32 revolutions. Why? NO IDEA! I might add, the hard drive is 7200 rpm ATA 133 with a ATA 133 drive cable ribbon.

I would greatly apreciate any information on this matter..... As if I dont get this solved for them.. im liable to have my head served on a platter for dinner...
(or just have 2 very grumpy people in this household.. and id rather not have that.. 1 female in the household is enough .. *LOL*)

Thanks in advance
Sheldon King

i'mgonnagetcha_G

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:57:01 PM »

did u try the EA support? they should be able to tell you how to fix that, i dont have an idea. :greg:
[/url]

Sheldon

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 10:04:03 PM »

no... however.. im usually not home during normal operating hours.

I have college... a girlfriend.. and Church / God to balance.

Sheldon

DeathDealer

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 12:04:18 AM »

I typed like seven different things to that last post... and then deleted them all.  Safer to stick with the cpu problem, since eternal damnation doesn't happen because of a blue screen of death :P

In any case, I hate to be the one to ask the obvious questions here.. But have you....

Removed all previous video drivers before installing the new ones?  NV's got a bad habit of making their drivers incompatible with each other for some god-forsaken reason.  (no pun intended)

BF tends to let you know with no uncertainty if it's been corrupted.  It usually won't let you get past the splash screen.   If it's still playing screwy after a reinstall, ( A full reinstall, registry wipe and all) then I don't know what to tell you.  

How old is the hard drive/RAM ect?  Anything else going wrong?  Memory exceptions and long load up times for XP could be memory stick went bad, or hard drive's having trouble.  You're an IT, you know the drill.  Work your way backwards until you have a pile of computer parts laying at your feet and installation disks scattered all over the room.  Aren't computers fun? :P

Hope it gets itself worked out.
Where you think you're at boy?  This ain't no n00bie server!

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 01:37:07 AM »

Errr lol........... ...

I have a few question's as I pretty much know what it is.

1.When it was working fine did you upgrade any drivers? soft or hard/fim or flashed
2.Is anything in the system over clocked?
3.What version of DX are you running?

When ever BF loads to that effect it either doesn't like your graphics driver or the dx draw is not compatible with the current driver of the graphic's card.

As fare as the system loading slow as hell that could be one of 4 thing's related to hardware only as I do not know when it starts loading slowly so some software may be at fault.

The nvidia chips have pre booters in there cmos chips if a vender tries to remove that or bypass that the system will not cycle or clock properly.

If the memory has a cas of 2.5 and you set it to 2.0 not all times it will cause a cmos lock it will allow use but at the point of severe memory loss.

If the hardware has been over clocked or not properly cooled or modified there is a chance of some chip failing and the effect is severe slowness of the system or boot.

If it is software related I can not help as there are to many software related issues to mention.

I would recommend removing the video card and installing a different model or make like an ati.

Be sure the DX matches the video cards needs and limits.

To me it seem's as if the video card is failing or the driver's are not compatible with your current system setup.

When BF does that it's a 75% chance it's a video/DX issue.

Please let me know if I can be of futher help.

Bonehead

Sheldon

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 06:09:40 AM »

Thanks guys for all the replies..

Its basically what I expected to hear... ill try kickin the video drivers and updating DX, however im pretty sure its the latest release as its WinXP Pro SP2.

Ive just come down to the fact that I have little to no time to work on my bros comps... I mean I never have any problems.. why do they? GAH.. The computer illiterate irritate me... and im dating one! argh.. Why cant my girlfriend be a computer geek... ...... wait.. my gf is a looker... doubt they come in a package deal... ill keep my current package if it would have to mean loosing her beauty :)

Oh Lord.... help me... ive turned into a bloody sap. .... I need professional help..

LOL LOL!!!

Sheldon

MinorThreat

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 08:06:15 AM »

Sheldon....... .......... learn to swim - Brother Maynard

TagS

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 08:38:31 PM »

omg im listining to that song right now no way AEnema

someday youll be as cool as me!

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 30 queries.