*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 19, 2024, 09:45:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: 2 monitors.  (Read 3049 times)

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
2 monitors.
« on: September 27, 2005, 02:15:56 PM »

I have a new phillps flat screen 19" monitor. I want to add it to my current set up. I have the HP Media Center PC854n. I was wondering if and how I could have 2 monitors. One to play games and one to watch TV on...then the other just running windows. Any info would help. I think Im going to have to have another video card right? I believe I have two just laying around...that arent that great but will do the job. I have an Illusionist 3D card and a REALmagicEM830 0 card. Would those work? Thanks guys for putting up with my ignorance.

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 02:28:23 PM »

Dont know about those cards, but if you don't have a card with dual inputs then you'll probably need another one. It should be pretty easy to setup, although I haven't used dual monitors personally.

http://www.g4tv.com/callforhelparchive/features/14382/Dual_Monitors.html

I just skimmed through that real quick but it should tell you what you need to know. If it doesn't, Google is your friend.

ICEMAN

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 06:58:34 PM »

That reminds me, I have 2 laptop monitors with the ends of the wires cut off.  Is it possible to make a new monitor connector onto it so I can use them?

Thanks
i'm joining doa;)

Swifty

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 07:01:58 PM »

You cannot have different monitors run different things even with multiple videocards on the same pc.  You can only have different monitors display the same picture across the two.

ICEMAN

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 08:32:28 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Swifty
You cannot have different monitors run different things even with multiple videocards on the same pc.  You can only have different monitors display the same picture across the two.

Theres a program that lets you run 3-4 different things on different monitors.  I don't have it yet... but I've seen it, and it's sweet.  That way, I could have my desktop open, play battlefield, and view someones webcam.

Billy Rubin

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • 3v0
2 monitors.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 10:21:45 PM »

Multi-tasking....I like it ;)

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 01:40:51 AM »

No, thats incorrect. The whole point of having two or more monitors is so you can have more desktop space to run shit on.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
2 monitors.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 04:43:19 AM »

You are all wrong if the gpu has the support for output to 2 displays then the driver installs 2 versions of the gpu driver that is why some see 2 of the same video card in their system or some games want you to pick a display driver.

If your gpu does support 2 channel output you can effectively run 2 different programs how ever you are spliting the gpu's resources in half no mater what it is you are running so you can watch a movie and play bf at the same time.

As long as the application supports driver select of the gpu native state, In other words if you can select what graphics driver or display adapter you want.

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
2 monitors.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 04:50:03 AM »

I cant seem to find out if my computer can support 2 at the moment. Does anyone know. Or will I have to install another video card?

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 05:24:15 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* ThaSnyper
I cant seem to find out if my computer can support 2 at the moment. Does anyone know. Or will I have to install another video card?

Look at your video card, if it has 2 places to plug in a monitor then it supports it. If it only has one place, you need another video card or a new video card with dual outputs.

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead
You are all wrong if the gpu has the support for output to 2 displays then the driver installs 2 versions of the gpu driver that is why some see 2 of the same video card in their system or some games want you to pick a display driver.

If your gpu does support 2 channel output you can effectively run 2 different programs how ever you are spliting the gpu's resources in half no mater what it is you are running so you can watch a movie and play bf at the same time.

As long as the application supports driver select of the gpu native state, In other words if you can select what graphics driver or display adapter you want.

What are you talking about lol? Thats what I said, only I said it so he could actually understand it and not in bonehead-talk.

Basically, any program which has the ability to run in windowed mode (pretty much every normal application) you could put on either of your monitors. Fullscreen Directx applications (games) and other things of the sort are almost all going to be run on your default monitor unless they give you the option to select where you want it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 05:35:59 AM by Ins4n3 »

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 04:00:11 PM »

are u kidding? u can run windows internet explorer, and bf1942 at the same time, just set the resolution or watever to fit one screen for the game and move another program into the other screen... btw if u have 2 inputs in ur video card, hook both moniters up and look for a program called bxjet or somthing

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
2 monitors.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 04:18:57 PM »

Yeah screw it...Im just going to sell the other one. I got it for free anyway. Anyone want a 15" Philips Flat screen 107 T4 for 100 bucks? haha

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 04:30:46 PM »

100 BUCKS! I'M THERE!!! Not.

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
2 monitors.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »

is that too much? on ebay they were going for like 120-130

Ins4n3

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
2 monitors.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 04:34:23 PM »

No, i dont think so. I just dont want a 15" monitor ;)

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.