*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 20, 2024, 03:47:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Fan help  (Read 3237 times)

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
Fan help
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:52:35 PM »

Ok this is kinda a round about question.  I have a 65g salt water reef tank at my apartment. I use Metal Halide lights to mantain the Corals and stuff. The lights get hot and in turn the water has been getting a little too hot so I wanted to install a "computer type" fan. I know they sell 120 watt fans at radio shack. Ive used them before. The guy gave me a 12V fan and said it would work just fine. When I brought it home I spliced the wire and crimped on a plug with a switch on it from a little desk light I had. Well when it was all said and done I plugged it in and Boom...it lit on fire and started burning! I was like ohhhhhhh crap. I unplugged it and holding it by the wire ran it outside and waited for it to burn out. Almost burned my freaking brand new apartment down. Was it the 12V fan or could  I have accidently switched the pos and neg wires? I checked it but the wire was twisted under the tape so I couldnt really tell.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Fan help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:37:04 PM »

ROFL! you can not use a 12vdc device on a 120vac power source! you are lucky you didnt fry your own ass.

If you are going to use a 12vdc fan use a 12vdc power source! go to radio shack and whip that guys ass for almost getting you killed then buy a "multi volt power block"  wire that fan up to it and switch it to 12v and off you go.

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
Fan help
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:44:51 PM »

I KNEW IT. I told him I needed A 120v fan and he gave me that piece of shit. And I even said...is this 12v going to work plugging it into a WALL? and he ws like ohhh yes no problem. So I figred him being Mr. RADIO SHACK he was right. It seriously lit up like a chinese frying pan. I was lucky I was so close to the door and can think on my feet. haha

Partyboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Fan help
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:08:08 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* ThaSnyper
I KNEW IT. I told him I needed A 120v fan and he gave me that piece of shit. And I even said...is this 12v going to work plugging it into a WALL? and he ws like ohhh yes no problem. So I figred him being Mr. RADIO SHACK he was right. It seriously lit up like a chinese frying pan. I was lucky I was so close to the door and can think on my feet. haha

I hate radio shack. My receiver for My Turntables broke and i took it up there for them to fix. Normally it would cost around 150$ but it took them almost 4 months to fix it and give it back (i got it for free though). I called though and they told me some lame excuses, one was that the place they where sending to was burnt down then they told me that its was lost in shipping. my point is is that they gave me some BS.

*MAFIA* Milky Way

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Fan help
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:19:27 PM »

so what you really mean is you calledi n mommy to take care of the fire =P? jus kidding i love you =P

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
Fan help
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »

Well they had better give me my money back and a free 12V converter or else theres going to be some ass whooping.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Fan help
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »

Hahaha, good story.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Fan help
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »

i sure it was an honest mistake, i mean hes a radioshack technician, hes obviously sharper that the dullest tool in the shed, haha

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
Fan help
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »

Yeah and I make mistakes too...but not ones that could possibly burn down a house/apartment. haha

Loaded

Fan help
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:28:01 PM »

Yeah and I make mistakes too...but not ones that could possibly burn down a house/apartment. haha

Um LOL yes you did you pluged that 12vdc fan into a 120ac outlet.

Toblerone

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Fan help
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 09:46:59 PM »

Get a case fan, and a cheap power supply (will probably cost you 12-15 all in all) problem solved....newe gg.com that shit.

Toblerone

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Fan help
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 09:49:30 PM »

Get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174010

And a couple of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999162

No stripping/soldering required....pr oblem solved.

Love,
Me.

Loaded

Fan help
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 05:29:38 AM »

Maybe this is what you need instead of fooling around... AZOO COOLING FAN

ThaSnyper

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Never2Fast
Fan help
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 06:30:48 AM »

Those fans suck...they get in the way. Im trying to mount this one above my lights angled over the top to blow out the heat trapped above the lights.

Loaded

Fan help
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 08:12:30 AM »

Ohhhhh sorry... So you need something like this, but this one is gas... You can get it in 110/220v

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.