*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 30, 2024, 07:01:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: can't handle games?  (Read 6656 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:41:05 PM »

after a total reinstall of windows and a new harddrive, i have been trying to get all the drivers i need back onto my comp. I just got my ATI driver, stopping the immense lag that i had before, but i still can't play games. Do i need to reinstall the drivers for my motherboard, maybe update something...? Let me know if anyone knows the answer. I try to play the MOH multiplayer demo until i can get BF back on, but an error message comes up "MOH had a problem and needs to close, send info?". Besides my graphics card, what else do i need to have to play some games?
EDIT: sorry for putting it in the wrong help section. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:51:37 PM by *MAFIA* Wasserfaller »
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:55:47 PM »

Need allot of info to help you out here. Mother board, CPU, ram and how much, GPU, sound card, is it home made or something like a DELL, anything else you can think of.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Loaded
Need allot of info to help you out here. Mother board, CPU, ram and how much, GPU, sound card, is it home made or something like a DELL, anything else you can think of.

It's a Dell dimension 8250, 512ram, soundblaster audigy 2 with 5.1 surround, radeon 9700 pro with 128 ram (two video card slot things, both are radeon 9700 pro, so 256 altogether), i don't know where to find out the make of the mother board, 2.4 ghz pentium 4, not home made. Let me know what else you need, and thanks for helping.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
can't handle games?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:28:14 PM »

Be sure you have directx up to date. make sure the sound card and video card drivers are the newest.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:00:51 AM »

yes I am with bone... Make sure you have ALL Window updates installed, we have to start there 1st.

Here is my list on what I do when I clean my HD and reinstall. (some of this will NOT be for you)

Install order:

1 - XP

2 - DirectX9C

3 - nVidia chipset drivers – "my board drivers"

4 - AMD Processor Driver – "Cool ‘n’ Quiet driver"

5 - Windows Update – all of it

6 - Microsoft NET Framework and its updates from windows update, needed for ATI Control Center

7 – ATI Video Drivers & Catalyst Control Center, download the latest from ATI

Like I said what I have above is not all you. What you need to do is figure out what is what in my list. In other words, like number 3, you would install "DELLS" dirvers (I assume you have a cd from them, if not go to the web site and find the programs)... I hope you get my point.

Just thought of something... You are using a ATI card right? You do know any CCC program/driver needs Net Framework 1.1 installed after 5.13 right? Maybe that is your problem if you don't have Net Framework installed.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:44:47 AM »

"4 - AMD Processor Driver – "Cool ‘n’ Quiet driver"

um, i dont know if i have this driver. i never got a disk that came with my AMD Athlon 3500+, so do you think i should go download it or what?

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
can't handle games?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 09:47:22 AM »

It's just a idle program to keep the cpu from working all the time when not needed. xp has this built in.

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:21:03 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead
It's just a idle program to keep the cpu from working all the time when not needed. xp has this built in.

ok, i dont need it then. thx

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 02:24:52 PM »

Quote from: Loaded
yes I am with bone... Make sure you have ALL Window updates installed, we have to start there 1st.

Here is my list on what I do when I clean my HD and reinstall. (some of this will NOT be for you)

Like I said what I have above is not all you. What you need to do is figure out what is what in my list. In other words, like number 3, you would install "DELLS" dirvers (I assume you have a cd from them, if not go to the web site and find the programs)... I hope you get my point.

Just thought of something... You are using a ATI card right? You do know any CCC program/driver needs Net Framework 1.1 installed after 5.13 right? Maybe that is your problem if you don't have Net Framework installed.
I know what you mean, thanks alot for all the help. I've got all of that installed, i don't remember if i already have the .NET thing so i'm downloading it again. What do you mean "after 5.13"? Thanks again for the help.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 05:56:03 PM »

What do you mean "after 5.13"...

That is the ATI driver number (ATI Catalyst Control Center). In other words you should have ATI 6.4 installed to be up to date.

Just some info so you understand the number from ATI

6= The 6 is for the year 2006

4= The 4th month of the year the driver was put out for down load.

So the new driver for "this month" is 6.4

Last year was the 1st year they went to 13 (no 13th month) because ATI had a major bug in the ATI drivers, so they didn't want to wait untill the 6.1 driver to repair it so we got a driver of 5.13 last year in December, meaning there was 2 drivers for that month. lol ok ATI school is over.

Quote from: *MAFIA* ßlåkjáx
ok, i dont need it then. thx

No as Bone said you don't need it. BUT what is nice about having them is if you have fans that turn at a good RPM, the driver will slow them down when the CPU is NOT under load (that is IF you have a CnQ option in bios). Like right now I have my CPU clocked to 2.5 and now my CPU setting is at nice slow 1.08 because I am just on the net and not loading the CPU with work.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 06:03:14 PM by Loaded »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »

yep, got all the video card updates and my sound card should be good too. Would the sound card needing an update really not allow my demo to load properly? Well, even with the ATI 6.4 it still won't load the MOH demo. Any other suggestions as to why it won't do start? Thanks for the help so far.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 04:13:44 AM »

I am working on it... I am doing somethings to see if I can get the message you got trying run MOH in your 1st post on my computer. In the mean time, anything else you can tell me? For starters are you sure you are the ADMIN on your computer? Check the accounts on your computer and make sure.

About the sound card, it sure wouldn't hurt to make sure the drivers are the newest.

EDIT... Where did you get the MOH demo? Maybe just maybe the file is bad.

Did you get it from here... Medal Of Honor Demo, EA.

Here is the down load link from EA Medal Of Honor Allied Assault Down Load. I know EA down load speed is slow, but sometimes it is better to wait and know you have a good file and not to hope for 300kps+ and have a bad file.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 04:26:34 AM by Loaded »

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 06:39:39 AM »

Me again... What MOH are you trying to run? Is it the one above in my last post? I am getting the same problem as you and I think it is because MOA isn't finding the retail of the game. Maybe above is a expack demo?

In any case let me know what MOH you are trying if it isn't the one above.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 08:16:38 PM »

I'm trying to run the allied assualt demo "spearhead". I had it on my old harddrive and it worked fine. I'll try getting it again maybe. But in the mean time...good news! My asian friend helped me transfer nearly all info from my broken hard drive back onto new one! It was only music and text docs that i wanted, but it really helped. It wouldn't let me transfer the BF1942.exe from one hard drive to the other, so i'll have to re-borrow the original discs and reinstall, no big deal. Thanks alot loaded, you're helped quite a bit.
EDIT: and ya i'm sure i'm the admin on the computer, i always sign in as admin.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 08:27:47 PM »

Ok spearhead is the one I am working with and like I said I get the same problem as you do. I guess in a way that is good news, because if I fix it here I am sure that will fix your problem as well. I am pointing to a video driver problem so far. So what I am going to do is ask you... Do you remember the last video driver you were using on the other hard drive? If not I'll go back to 5.10s or so and see if that will get the game going.

Maybe I'll have something for you tomorrow about what is going on here. I just stalled waiting to see what game were trying to run because there was no point on me going on if I was trying the wrong game.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 30 queries.