*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 29, 2024, 03:41:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Need more RAM  (Read 3600 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:24:18 PM »

alright, i'm going to get 512 more ram, but i need to know how to identify what kind i have first.
1. Can someone please tell me how to correctly find out what kind of RAM i have and what model number/type?
2. Can someone also show me where to find the cheapest kind of that certain model?

I would go for getting another gig of RAM but i can only afford another 512, please don't someone say, "screw it, 1 gig sucks, get 13 gigs of ram like i do so den yous can prawn online gaming!111"
I just need 512, and if someone could show me how to find out what kind i have and where to find the cheapest, that would be great. Thanks.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 07:35:12 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Wasserfaller
alright, i'm going to get 512 more ram, but i need to know how to identify what kind i have first.
1. Can someone please tell me how to correctly find out what kind of RAM i have and what model number/type?
2. Can someone also show me where to find the cheapest kind of that certain model?

I would go for getting another gig of RAM but i can only afford another 512, please don't someone say, "screw it, 1 gig sucks, get 13 gigs of ram like i do so den yous can prawn online gaming!111"
I just need 512, and if someone could show me how to find out what kind i have and where to find the cheapest, that would be great. Thanks.

Identify your motherboard brand and model, if you can't identify that go broader... Identify your system brand and model (i.e. Dell, Gateway, IBM) this is the most common method. After identifying either one of these aspects you will be able to select the correct type and speed of the RAM that your motherboard supports by visiting the vendors website and looking over the specifications .

As far as purchasing it, Tiger Direct or Newegg are your best bets.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:08:55 PM »

So one way I use to figure out system stuff is using this program called CPU-Z. DL it from here:  http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php  The download link is in the upper left hand corner. Once you have it installed and everything, run the program. Click on the tab labeled "SPD." View the slots in which your memory is in by clicking on the drop down menu. The place where it says "Max Bandwidth" is where it says what type of RAM you have. Find out how many physical slots you have left open, and don't forget to buy memory modules in pairs. Hope this helps.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Need more RAM
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:53:27 PM »

Or the best hardware teller of all "BIOS" :)

*MAFIA* KrautKiller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 09:26:34 PM »

ask beetle he told me a good place that scanns your computer and directs you to the correct ram for your computer, thats where i got my ram for my old computer.

Here it is i think

http://www.4allmemory.com

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 11:09:57 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead
Or the best hardware teller of all "BIOS" :)

Yup, but you have to know how to work with it to prevent from fucking up your system.

*MAFIA* Phantom

Need more RAM
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »

i would just go with BIOS as well...make sure you don't buy too many sticks of ram where you don't have enough slots to put em!

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 12:10:34 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Roshan
So one way I use to figure out system stuff is using this program called CPU-Z. DL it from here:  http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php  The download link is in the upper left hand corner. Once you have it installed and everything, run the program. Click on the tab labeled "SPD." View the slots in which your memory is in by clicking on the drop down menu. The place where it says "Max Bandwidth" is where it says what type of RAM you have. Find out how many physical slots you have left open, and don't forget to buy memory modules in pairs. Hope this helps.

since i'm a techno-noob i didn't bother with BIOS i just did what roshan said. I have 4 available slots, and it says "PC1066-32" 533MHz. A long time ago my friend opened my computer up and transfered all my data from a crashed hard drive, and i asked him about the RAM that i was planning on upgrading. He pointed to these small skinny green stips and said "all you have to do is pry open these tabs on the side and slide a new one in." Is that all there is to it? Just slip it in and it's recognized? By the way thanks roshan, but i still don't know what "PC1066-32" 533MHz means. Where can another of this model in 512mb model? Thanks alot for the help too people.

Lightning

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:33:30 AM »

The basic things you need to know.

#1 Do you have any open slots for ram.
#2 Is it Pentium or AMD they use different sticks.
#3 You need to know if you have a matched pair.  

I for one would never mix memory modules.  The ratios that they run at can cause problems.  Open the case and take out the old memory module and look at it it should have a vendor and model number from there you can research what is best.  If its PC-1066 its Rambus memory.  I am pretty sure its for a Pentium system.  Its probably going to be hard to find to match it up.  Rambus is very expensive.  Most new stuff is DDR.  Rambus Is old technology.  The 533 mhz is the system bus speed.  But like I said this is all speculation without pulling it out.

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?&USER_ID=www&cart_id=5851440_66_249_65_6&Item_code=MERA_SAMS_B5_AF

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:51:02 AM »

zo my fucking god, if that's the price for one stick of that shit i'm staying with what memory i have. That's rediculous, i'll never pay that much for something that's so outdated. Thanks for the help peoples. Guess i have to fork over some money for a gig of DDR...

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
Need more RAM
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:32:36 AM »

i always go to this site.......http://www.crucial.com  just look for the ram on ebay....for a way cheaper price...just make sure u buy a new one.

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:35:07 AM »

Well if its running at 533Mhz, you got DDR2 ram. So you will have to look for a same type of DDR2 module. Af for placing the ram, yes, all you have to do is put those tabs down, make sute all your pins of the new ram stick have a hole in the slot opposite to it. And then just press the ram module down into the slot. If you do this right, the tabs on the side should close by themselfs. At least thats what my mobo does.

Btw, I don't think it matters if you have AMD or Intel, they both use the same ram on the mobo's (if it has the same slots)

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Need more RAM
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 02:42:07 PM »

Here this is the type you need.

timmings are a point to look at but in most memory it wont matter much.

Just get the type I listed. Doesn't mean buy that stick just the type.

Lightning

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »

If its PC-1066 then im am pretty sure thats Rambus and DDR will not work.

*MAFIA* KrautKiller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Need more RAM
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 05:10:34 PM »

My previous computer had 512 that required 2 sticks of ram and it is like 200 dollars, my new computer has 1 gig of ram that requires 1 stick for 88 dollars :D

Just get a whole new computer.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.