*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 29, 2024, 01:11:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: ram spec difference  (Read 6718 times)

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

Beetlejuice - All the memory modules suggested, will fit your rig.  You motherboard configured for the PC3200 / 400 MHz DIMM 184-pin, so that is the max you will be able to run on it.  You can actually plug in the 533Mhz 184pin into it, but due to the Memory BUS limitations of your motherboard, it will downscale it and only run at 400Mhz.  The only time it will make sence to but the 533Mhz module will be if you will find it on  sale or clearance for less than the price of the 400Mhz.
 However, in reality, to the average user, the 400Mhz is more than enough.  I have a few systems at home, and when running BF1942, UNREAL, Diablo II, and other games, I can't tell the difference in performance.
 It all boils down to the video card you have.  If you have a decent card, you don't need the fastest memory.  Cards are somewhat over rated as well.  I am still using the ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB, and it pulls anything I throw at it even if this card, according to the current trend on the Video Card market, is considered to be a grand grand father.. :)

Now, to your system - usually, that HP model will have the ASUS K8S-LA (Salmon) Motherboard with a Socket 764 AMD Athlon 64 processor.  It only has 2 memory slots ( you can see if I am correct by opening the case and peeking inside ).  The max memory the MOBO will support is 2MB, 1MB DIMM in each slot.  That model usually ships with a total of 512 ( 2 x 256 DIMMs ), and if you decide to upgrade it, you will see a significant boost in performance.  My suggestion to you is to go with the 2 x 1 MB, for the maximum supported.  Although 1 MB is very common in the computer world, it is still a basic size.  2MB will allow you to run games smoother while other applications are still loaded in the background ( Anti Virus, system updates, windows applications, etc ).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:41:47 PM by the edge »
O=={;;;EDGE;;;>

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:41 PM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Beetlejuice
I haven't decided if I'm going with two 512mb or two 1gb.  Either way, I just wanted to know what is the best one to get.  The ones you guys posted, are they compatible with my computer, HP Pavilioin a736n?  Thanks for the help guys...

go for two 512's, then you have an extra 24mb!
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 11:51:42 PM »

Beetlejuice, go for the 2MB ( read my previous post on it ).
 I also saw your question about the Video Card - It has nothing to do with the system ram.. A stand-alone card will not share your system's memory, but use it's own.  That is why a card with at least 256MB is recommended.  Some of the mainstream cards on the market today will have 512MB as well.  You still want lots of RAM on your  system though - it will help when it comes to loading games and accessing game files on your hard drive.

Never get a card from the usual retailer ( Best Buy, Comp USA, Circuit City, etc ).  You can get them for almost half the price on ebay, or at an on line store.  The best ones would be Newegg.com and TigerDirect.co m.
 If you buy on ebay, beware of the chinese knock offs, especially for ATI cards.  Read the specifications before you buy.  For example, most of the ATI cards have 256bit or 512bit Graphic Interfaces ( not to be confused with 256/512MB memory sizes ),  but the most of the ones sold on ebay will have a different design on the cooling fan plate, and will have a 128 BIT interface, which will not allow the card's memory to use it's full potential.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
ram spec difference
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »

2MB? wow that is a massive downgrade lol. 2GB?

Wasser, you dumb ass 512+512=1024 a 1GB stick is also 1024 so he wont gain shit. lol go stuff yourself into an oven and bake till golden brown.

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »

Holy crap, you guys should check out the new ATI 1950XTX!    Blazing fast!

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »

Quote from: the edge
Holy crap, you guys should check out the new ATI 1950XTX!    Blazing fast!

Ok...good for you. What does that have anything to do with the original question?

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 05:59:08 PM »

Everything.  Since Beetlejuice, and maybe others, are thinking about speeding up their computer, and might max out their RAM @ 2MB, a faster GC can take it even further.  Provided that they have SLI or Crossfire capability.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »

Everything.  Since Beetlejuice, and maybe others, are thinking about speeding up their computer, and might max out their RAM @ 2MB, a faster GC can take it even further.  Provided that they have SLI or Crossfire capability.

True, but i don't think any of us even have dual GC's. Max out your system at 2MB? That's got to be one crappy PC. It's really only going to to make the graphics better/faster, but also going to to take some strain off the CPU.

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »

That's the pc that Beetlejuice has.  The motherboard  only has 2 RAM slots in it.

A lesser GC that would work, provided that the pc has an AGP slot, will be the Radeonx800xt, or the GeForce 6800GT.  The CPU will be able to support it fully, and 2MB of RAM would be more than enoght to run games with up to 1600 x 1200 resolution.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »

That's the pc that Beetlejuice has.  The motherboard  only has 2 RAM slots in it.

A lesser GC that would work, provided that the pc has an AGP slot, will be the Radeonx800xt, or the GeForce 6800GT.  The CPU will be able to support it fully, and 2MB of RAM would be more than enoght to run games with up to 1600 x 1200 resolution.

I'm not going to even bother now. Someone is too dumb to understand something.

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »

Then don't.  Sorry to bother your superior intelect.  My intention with my posts is to help, and if you don't need it, just move on.  I was answering Beetlejuice's questions anyway, and if he doesn't need my opinion, I am sure he is capable of ignoring them himself.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 10:46:02 PM by the edge »

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »

However, in reality, to the average user, the 400Mhz is more than enough.  I have a few systems at home, and when running BF1942, UNREAL, Diablo II, and other games, I can't tell the difference in performance.

If you can't tell the difference between DDR and DDR2 at 533 Mhz you shouldn't be posting here ...

the edge

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 11:20:48 PM »

Boemann - I can sure tell the spec difference.  However, when it comes to performance with BF1942 at the mentioned above resolution, the difference is 2-3 fps, which is really undetectable by the eye.

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
ram spec difference
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 11:37:46 PM »

Boemann - I can sure tell the spec difference.  However, when it comes to performance with BF1942 at the mentioned above resolution, the difference is 2-3 fps, which is really undetectable by the eye.

Performance is more then just FPS...

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
ram spec difference
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 02:20:17 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Boemann (nl)
Performance is more then just FPS...

Performance is more then just FPS?  Doesn't FPS mean Fat People Singing?  I find that really entertaining.  It is fucking funny as shit.  Especially if they are in their underwear.  hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahah
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:36:19 AM by *MAFIA* Hellraiser »

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.