*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 29, 2024, 08:01:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: How to save money and energy with your comp  (Read 2454 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
How to save money and energy with your comp
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:19:07 PM »

here's a program that i've been using for a while, it's really convenient and super simple to use...i mean i can use it easily so it must be simple.

I have mine to automatically turn off my monitor after 5 min. of no activity, spin down my HD after 15 min. of no activity, and hibernate my comp after half an hour of no activity.

The best thing is, you can have exceptions, like it won't turn off your comp if you have _____.exe running, you just enter in the file name and it won't turn off your comp when so and so program is running. I have mine to not go to hibernate if firefox.exe is running, so it won't close out of my downloads or anything.

Give it a try, and it'll save you money on your electricity bill if you are like me and leave your comp on all the time.

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2094_4-10720071&ontId=2094_4&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=10720071&mfgId=71915&merId=71915&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.download.com%2F3001-2094_4-10720071.html
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
Re: How to save money and energy with your comp
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »

I use the free one in windows xp ;)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:04:58 PM »

this one is for windows XP, and it's free also. It's just more user friendly and very convenient.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »

did you know it causes more wear and tear on your hard drives to stop and start then just let them run? :)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »

more wear and tear on your wallet if you just keep it running all the time....and that program doesn't turn your comp off for you if you don't want, it can make it hibernate and only use a trickle of energy....even less than the normal XP hibernate mode.

I set it to hibernate after 20 min. of no activity, i come down an hour later and everything is off, except one fan. The lights on my comp, HD didn't sound like it was spinning, so i press the power button and BAM! Back to my desktop. I've never seen windows XP sleep mode do that.

Besides, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, it's just a good way to save energy, some money and not heat your room up for noobs like me.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »

or you can just hook it up to a military generator and not have to pay a dime, yeah fuck stick.  Or you can be one of the rich kids and not worry about bills. 

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:01 PM »

lol a hard drive sucks 8volts at ready 12volts in activity. That in turn is DC power and 12volts in DC that the drive uses at full load uses only .4ma. You looking in the fridge 6 times a day uses more power ;) all you are doing is killing your hard drives... The MTBF  on a hard drive is 400,000 hours, or 5 years of use. That means the drive running the whole time.

Stopping and starting the drive will cut its life in half, if you turn your puter off every night, and you will only get a 1/4 life out of one your way. So best of luck on hard drive replacements.. .

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »

my other computer, the dell, we would turn it off EVERY night, and turn it on EVERY morning....it's 6 years old and nothing has happened to it, according to your calculations is should have died over 3 years ago.  And this program shows how much power my HD is using when active...it's sucking 40 watts.

Maybe it's just me, but i'd rather save some money and not drain our electricity bill needlessly, and hard drives cost what, 40-50 bucks? We've had our old one for 6 years and nothings happened, i doubt mine will choke because of this.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 31 queries.