*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 30, 2024, 08:13:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: i'm of need helpings  (Read 8864 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
i'm of need helpings
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:43:04 PM »

We have two computers at my house, mine, and the one everyone else uses. Both computers have ethernet holes in the back, but the family computer doesn't recognize the ethernet plug for some reason.

This wasn't a problem, because our DSL box had a USB and ethernet slot in the back, so when the ethernet thing didn't work on the family computer, i passed it off and just used the USB option instead.

I bought a router, so both computers can be on the internet at the same time...problem is, the router only takes ethernet (naturally). Roshan tried helping me with this some time ago, he said i needed to find the ethernet driver for the family computer...i couldn't find it.

I think the motherboard is an Intel i850. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but i might need that program again to check, something called cpu-z i think.

My parents are constantly nagging me to get both of them to have internet access, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

Loaded

Re: i'm of need helpings
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:43:46 AM »

Go to Control panel, then to System, then to Hardware, then to Device Manager, now go near the lower part of that screen and look for "Network adapters", if there is a + click on that, what do you see? You should see "Network Controller", this is what runs your ethernet. IF you see a red X there, right click on it and hit "Enable", now your ethernet should work.

If above shows nothing then post back more info after doing above... Take the side of the box and see if you can find the info of the board or do below (like you said above)

Down load CPU-Z from here, After starting the program it will take 10 seconds or more to find all the board info, after that go to the "Main Board" tab and let us know what it says. If you can, a screen shot would be best of that window.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:45:29 AM by *MAFIA* Loaded »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:30:02 PM »

Okay, i took screen shots, but i forgot to attach the one with the "Mainboard" info. It said my motherboard was "Intel i850E"

Here's two other SS.

In the system tab stuff you told me to do, it claims that the ethernet is enabled. I beg to differ!

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotpn3.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpuz2im0.jpg

Thanks for helping me out loaded, i remember some jackass dell tech guy tried to help me a year ago with this problem, he couldn't figure it out so he told me to use the USB chord instead. I hope the ethernet ends up working.

Lightning

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »

I had a similar problem with an older intel on board ethernet.  I tried everything and it didn't work.  So I got an ethernet card and it worked perfect. 

Loaded

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »

Ok lets see... See that red X down in your task bar. Double Click that and see what it says. If it says "1394 Net Adapter" go back into Device manager and Disable "Both" of them, ONLY if you are not using your 1394 plug (looks like this) .

After that unplug then plug back in your ethernet plug from the router or the back of the computer. Lets see what happens.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »

intel is bad about the either controller going ape shit. Completely remove the driver then reinstall it. I done this on so many computers with craptel chips its unreal.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:32:55 PM »

this is what it said when i clicked on the red box in my taskbar.

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ssyl8.jpg

@Loaded, how do i know if my 1394 plug is in use? What would it be connected to?

@Bone, do you mean just pull it out, blow it off, then plug it back in? Or do you mean re-install the drivers...beca use if you mean re-install drivers, i can't. That's one of the problems, i can't seem to find them.

@Lightning, this might be the ticket, how expensive are they? Is it a plug-n-play kind of thing, just buy new one, take out old, plug in new ethernet port...BAM you're done?

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »

you have a pro intel chip, means its onboard. you can get a new cheap one to replace it, or just fix the driver, on off issue ;)

or you could set it back to usb off the modem and enable remote desktop and let me, loaded, lightning, take it over and fix it :)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »

so if i buy a new one, will it have to be a certain kind? Because the computer is like 6 years old, it might have some outdated slot or something, kinda like AGP or PCIE. Or maybe they haven't changed them, i don't know.

I would love to re-install the drivers and get it to work somehow, but i don't know where to get the drivers from. And if i re-install the drivers it should just work, or do i have to enable something? Explicit step by step instructions please, i am a tad noob.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:25 AM »

I just said let one of us take it over and do it, get the intel pro ve, pro 10/100 driver nub! derr!!!

Loaded

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 03:53:05 AM »

Wasserfaller.. . If you have nothing plugged into the back of the computer in the 1394 plug, then you are not using it... Just right click on both of the 1394s in the pic above and hit "disable", don't worry it just turns it off it will still be there if needed.

About the card... They are cheap, see the pic below.

You just have to make sure you have a free PCI spot for it, more or less plug and play...

HERE take your pick at NewEgg, you don't have to get it at new egg, you can go anywhere even Wal-Mart has them.

But I would like to try and fix it, I had the same problem as you and I am just running the steps to find if the problem is the same.

If you want to keep going do this next. In your pic I want you to delete that "Local area connection #3", make sure your cable is plugged into the computer and router, turn off the computer and turn it back on. Let us know what happens, that connection WILL get remade.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:54:59 AM by *MAFIA* Loaded »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:01:57 PM »

alright, i'm hell bent on fixing it too, i just wanted to know if there were other options.

Okay, i'm gonna have to disconnect this computer (mine) from the interwebs so i can test your solution out on the family computer. So just delete the connection #3? I'm pretty sure that's the internet one though....

Okay, i'll disable the first two, delete the third. Plug in cord, restart. I'll be back in a bit to let you guys know how it goes.

(btw, i don't think i have PCI ports, it's an older computer,  i think my friend said it has AGP ports, but he might have been talking about the vid-card.)

Loaded

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »

Yes (do what you said, like I said when you reboot they will be made again) let us know what happens... Your friend is kind of right, he was talking about a PCI Express port for the NEW video cards and that is why he said you have a AGP, AGP is the std for the longest time. Computers have had PCI ports forever, your computer has them, we just have to make sure there is nothing in them so you can put the card in from the above post.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »

alright, i disabled the first two, and it wouldn't let me delete the third one. A message came up saying "cannot delete" or something like that.

here's what it looks like.....

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ss2qq7.jpg

I think my PCI port might be filled with our sound card. Are there more than one?

Like i said, it wouldn't let me disable it. Could i try re-installing the drivers? I don't know what they're called, or where to find them...

Loaded

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 04:18:36 AM »

Don't worry about the drivers yet, so far they seem to be there because the connection has the right name on it.

You should have more then one PCI spot, 2 or 3 are the norm... All you have to do is open the case and look...

Will look like this (light colored strips), pic below...

Lets try, go to "Start" and look for "Connect To", mouse over that and a new window will pop up, then click on "Show All Connections", now a window called "Network Connections" will open, look for the "connection #3", now right click on that, we are going to try a few things here.

1... click on properties (here is where you have full control over this connection), even here you can work with the connector, see it there in the "connect using"?), now a new window will open, look for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", double click that. Make sure there is a dot in "Obtain an IP address automatically", now look at the top tabs, click on "Alternate Configuration" and make sure there is a dot in "Automatic private IP address", close that and down if you wish after the settings have been checked, ok/save if asked.

Now check to see if the computer will go on line.

Just a NOTE, if you see a red X at anytime in your task bar over the 2 little computer screens then we know that connection is DEAD in some way. YES I know I could have had you right click over them to get to the above Windows, but I wanted you to learn (if you didn't already know) how to get there the long way just in case that Icon is not showing up in the task bar.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:20:24 AM by *MAFIA* Loaded »

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.