*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 30, 2024, 06:26:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Vital Signs  (Read 5286 times)

*MAFIA* OUTLAW

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Deus Absconditus
    • View Profile
Vital Signs
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:22:11 AM »

More economists believe a recession is probable in 2008. A February survey of economists by the National Association for Business Economics shows that only a slim majority of those surveyed see the U.S. skirting an economic downturn this year. In February, 45% of the respondents believed the economy had already begun to contract or would do so this year. The number who believed a recession was imminent rose from 40% in November and 25% in September.

This week’s data will provide more clarity on the recession outlook. In particular, the February employment data is most important. The economy can’t grow if businesses stop hiring. In January, nonfarm payrolls shrunk by 17,000 workers, the first monthly dip since 2003. Economy watchers expect businesses and the government to add a total of 50,000 jobs in February. But even at that pace, the jobless rate will keep rising. More people out looking for a job also reduces the pressure on businesses to fork out large pay raises.

Many homeowners are watching property values fall and stock prices have also dropped this year. That makes people feel less wealthy, and places more emphasis on gains in wages and salaries to drive consumer spending.

However, businesses can’t be expected to add workers if they see demand falling. Economists will get a better understanding of what employers are confronting with the February business activity reports from the Institute for Supply Management and the Federal Reserve’s Beige Book report on current economic conditions. In January, the service sector report raised a big red flag when it unexpectedly fell below 50%, indicating a decline in activity. If the February figures don’t rebound, it would be a real cause for concern.

Mean Green

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Adventures of MG not letting it go
Re: Vital Signs
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:45:11 AM »

my comment:

The stimulus tax package compromise is a failure.  In order for the economy to grow and stave off a recesssion give the entities that provide for economic activity incentives or motivation to invest.  Giving taxpayers, meaning individuals, rebate checks to "stimulate the economy" is a band aid and a way to purchase votes.  Frankly, I am disappointed in my Republican representative s for this compromise legislation. What will most taxpayers do with the paltry $1200?  Most will pay off debt the effect of which is miniscule.  Why not give the economic movers motivation for hiring you?  Would you rather have a job for the long term than a quick handout?  Why not give the economic movers motivation for investing in new lines of products, new pieces of equipment, additional research and development..a ll of which create jobs and actually stimulates the economy?  As it stands, most of my business clients are holding on to their savings and investing in non-economic instruments because it is more economical to do so than to increase their earnings thus paying higher taxes.....it is simple, really.

Killed a Guy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »

I couldn’t agree more MG. While the stimulus package appears crafted to increase Personal Income(PI) and Personal Consumption (PC) the result will be increased national debt and an additional mess from the GWB reign of terror that someone else will have to clear up.
Personal Income and Personal Consumption in January rose more than expected, but inflation ate up a bigger portion of these as a key price index also rose. The Commerce Department reported that PI was +.3% and PC was +.4%, both higher than the +.2% that was expected. The “personal consumption expenditure price index”, a key measure of inflation, was +.4% in January after an upwardly revised increase of 0.3 percent in December. Excluding volatile food and energy costs, the personal consumption expenditure index rose 0.3 percent - in line with analysts' expectations and the steepest monthly rise since September 2007. The personal saving rate, meanwhile, stood at negative 0.1 percent, marking the third straight month in negative territory.
Nothing in life is so exhilarating, as to be shot at without result.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »

Again, greed... people take their business over sea's to make more paper god.

Mean Green

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Adventures of MG not letting it go
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »

Nice facts, Killed.  My only disagreement is with your statement that GWB has a reign of terror and has created this mess. Whether you agree or disagree with the war on terrorism you must accept that in history all conflict has created an economic effect on the countries involved.  It is undeniable.  How you respond to this promised effect defines your "reign".  GWB has been pro-active in attempting to prevent the guaranteed economic effects and has been met with fierce opposition even from his own party.  Remember the reduction of deduction limits after 9-11?  That one piece of legislation brought this country back from a literal stand still.  Dont get me wrong, I think he has made some really bad decisions...IM O he is perhaps too liberal on some issues. 

I live in the real world...I see real people working hard, saving, trying to be prudent with their finances, and yet the larger the govt the greater the hardship.  I too fear for my children.  My thought is where will they go....There is no other economy that will allow for the opportunities we have.  So I encourage them to participate and think logically and thoroughly about the consequences of actions. 

And, there is this other thing..It's called HOPE...I have it and believe that All Govt is ordained by God. (Romans 13: 1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.)  Because I believe this, I know that no matter how bad I think it is...There is always someone else who is in control.  I just have to trust.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »

They have mom and dads money backing them up, so they are fine ;)

Killed a Guy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »

Nice facts, Killed.  My only disagreement is with your statement that GWB has a reign of terror and has created this mess. Whether you agree or disagree with the war on terrorism you must accept that in history all conflict has created an economic effect on the countries involved.  It is undeniable.  How you respond to this promised effect defines your "reign".  GWB has been pro-active in attempting to prevent the guaranteed economic effects and has been met with fierce opposition even from his own party.  Remember the reduction of deduction limits after 9-11?  That one piece of legislation brought this country back from a literal stand still.  Dont get me wrong, I think he has made some really bad decisions...IM O he is perhaps too liberal on some issues. 

I live in the real world...I see real people working hard, saving, trying to be prudent with their finances, and yet the larger the govt the greater the hardship.  I too fear for my children.  My thought is where will they go....There is no other economy that will allow for the opportunities we have.  So I encourage them to participate and think logically and thoroughly about the consequences of actions. 

And, there is this other thing..It's called HOPE...I have it and believe that All Govt is ordained by God. (Romans 13: 1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.)  Because I believe this, I know that no matter how bad I think it is...There is always someone else who is in control.  I just have to trust.

Amen to that my Friend, Amen to that.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »

GWB has been pro-active in attempting to prevent the guaranteed economic effects and has been met with fierce opposition even from his own party.  Remember the reduction of deduction limits after 9-11?  That one piece of legislation brought this country back from a literal stand still. 
lol, what? GWB making smart financial decisions? Not really, the dumbass cut taxes when entering a war. Now i'm no economist here, but i'm pretty sure the best thing to do when you need money to power a war you just started is not to cut taxes.

Let's face it, the guy is an idiot. He was a failure in college, screwed up when responding to Katrina(there was a military carrier in the gulf of mexico, miles away from the disaster, but when requested to move it to respond to the disaster, he denied it's entry. It could have saved hundreds of people, and it had thousands of gallons of fresh water aboard. Good going there bushy), started a war and isn't able to pay for it because he cut taxes...my penis would do a better job running the country.

I honestly don't know how people can defend him at all, especially when it comes to his financial decisions.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* KrautKiller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »

China will attack us before we go into another depression.

Loaded

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »

China will attack us before we go into another depression.

IMO that isn't going to happen when 75% (well it seems that way, almost everything I see says Made in China) of our products come from that fucked up country. Now maybe we could attack them, but I don't see that happening, yet... There is way to many of those little 5 foot fuckers to deal with too, fighting them will not be easy unless we start making 100mile X 100mile parking lots in China.

Right now the free would governments (the USA on top of the list  ::) ) are more concerned on taking over the middle East, China can wait.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »

China may have a million man army but we got non nuke bombs that can thin them down very fast :)

*MAFIA* ßlåkjáx

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »

China may have a million man army but we got non nuke bombs that can thin them down very fast :)
So do they...

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »

We should have listened to Outlaw, Mean Green, and Bonehead, and avoided this whole economic mess.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 30 queries.