*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 19, 2024, 10:47:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: A little help please...  (Read 5570 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
A little help please...
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »

Alright, to sum it up what i need help with, i'm having some troubles cutting through glass.
I'm currently making a bong for a friend of mine, and I'm using a POM glass cup as the body.

I've got a ton of the glass bottles that POM juice used to come in, so I figured I'd make a few unique bongs out of them. Only trouble is, it's a rounded surface, and I'm trying to drill a hole in the body of it at a downward angle.

The glass cup looks like this...

And i'm trying to make it look a bit like this...

Only trouble is, I can't seem to cut into it without getting massive cracks around the hole, or accidentally chipping huge pieces out of it.

Anyone know how I should go about this? We've got a ton of drill bits and such, I just don't know where to start. Someone advised a diamond cutter, but I'd like to make it without having to trek to the hardware store and buy diamond tip bits (i know they're cheap, i just would like to avoid having to get one).

Thanks in advance.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: A little help please...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »

Just go get a glass cutter you lazy ass.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »

You need something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32400 to drill a "hole" in glass. Problem is what you are trying to do is not a "round" hole, it would need to be egg shaped (oval)... So with that said, the link above (or something smaller in size then what is in that link) "should" get you what you are looking for... You would need to cut/drill the hole 1st, then slowly move the Diamond saw from 90 degrees to a 45 degrees toward the top to make that oval shape. Remember what ever you use "must" have the Diamond not just on the end of the saw, but also on the sides of the saw for it to cut that oval, as you can see in that link above that bit dose have diamond on the sides as well. That is the best I can do for ya.

EDIT... here is a smaller set http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32399

Opps I see now you are going to use a grommet, then a round hole should work, BUT I think you are going to have a problem with the "bowl" staying at that 45* tilt.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:13:28 PM by ReLoaded »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »

EDIT... here is a smaller set http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32399

Opps I see now you are going to use a grommet, then a round hole should work, BUT I think you are going to have a problem with the "bowl" staying at that 45* tilt.
Excellent, that's exactly what i'm looking for! Oh hell, there's a harbor freight 5 minutes from school, i'll just go pick one up after class this week. I just need to find out what size hole i'll need, i can just ask the local pipe shop guy what the normal size is, i think it's 9mm.

Ya i plan on cutting the hole at an angle and then putting a grommet in to make a proper fit. Thanks for the tips loaded.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

Fucking hippies!!!!

*MAFIA* Dune Surfer

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

The hole in the bong is the least of your worries man, you gotta worry about the seal. Which is gonna leak unless its professionally made in rubber, which you can't do unless you throw money at the project. Buy a can of beer, knock up a disposable one, use blue tack and you can stamp on it if you're ever in danger of getting busted.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:02:58 PM by *MAFIA* Dune Surfer »

End

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »

Rofl. Go with Dune, he knows what he's talking about.

*MAFIA* OUTLAW

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Deus Absconditus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »

Bong Engineers. I love it  :)

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »

Excellent, that's exactly what i'm looking for! Oh hell, there's a harbor freight 5 minutes from school, i'll just go pick one up after class this week. I just need to find out what size hole i'll need, i can just ask the local pipe shop guy what the normal size is, i think it's 9mm.

Ya i plan on cutting the hole at an angle and then putting a grommet in to make a proper fit. Thanks for the tips loaded.

Make sure to use lots of room temp water while cutting... If possible use a cordless drill and run the water on the glass from the faucet while drilling.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »

you gotta worry about the seal. Which is gonna leak unless its professionally made in rubber

My buddy made one out of a Grolsch beer bottle, and he used a diamond tip bit to cut a small hole, then did the rest by hand really carefully. Threw a 9mm (i think that's the size) grommet in there and a bit of JB Weld to seal it up, worked fine.

I just want the one i make to look professional, and it's gonna be a one-of project so i want it looking clean.

Make sure to use lots of room temp water while cutting... If possible use a cordless drill and run the water on the glass from the faucet while drilling.
Is that to make sure i don't breath in the glass shavings, or to keep it cool?

Fucking hippies!!!!
Haha, hey it's not for me, i sometimes partake but pretty much only during summer time or winter break. School always comes first for me, bong hits can wait.

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »

to keep the cut/glass cool.

anyKey

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »

You'd rather make bong form a lightbulb  ;D

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »

use a carbide tipped drill bit (mostly used for metal drilling) make a paste mixture of oil and sand. apply to the drill site, keep applying as you drill, use a slow 250, 500 rpm drill. keep using the paste and you will soon have your perfect hole :D

anyKey

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 06:45:54 AM »

and you will soon have your perfect hole :D

If you take this statement out of context... ::)

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.