*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 01, 2024, 01:11:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Netbook?  (Read 4807 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Netbook?
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »

So here's the business, gonna be getting a place of my own in San Luis Obispo in late summer/early fall for school, and i plan on taking my desktop but i need some portability too. My rig will be used for gaming and entertainment and the like, but i was looking at possibly a netbook for school purposes.

So i didn't want to spend more than around 300 bucks for a basic one, anyone have any experience with them? I know they're relatively new, but for portability and battery life they look like a pretty attractive deal. I absolutely hate laptops and refuse to ever buy one, so i figured this would be a reasonable middle ground.

How's this one looking?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220441&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Netbooks-_-ASUS-_-34220441

300 bucks
160GB HD
1GB RAM (i'll upgrade to 2GB)
8.9 widescreen
N270 1.6 GHZ Atom processor
Wi-Fi
5.3 Hr. battery life (supposedly)

Best of all, it runs bf1942 smoothly at 30-40fps

So how's it look? Good entry level netbook? Remember, i'm shooting for cheap most of all, and the ability to tote it around school without looking like a douche with a huge lappy bag, this thing will just fit in my backpack.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

Head Hunter

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Netbook?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »

So here's the business, gonna be getting a place of my own in San Luis Obispo in late summer/early fall for school, and i plan on taking my desktop but i need some portability too. My rig will be used for gaming and entertainment and the like, but i was looking at possibly a netbook for school purposes.

So i didn't want to spend more than around 300 bucks for a basic one, anyone have any experience with them? I know they're relatively new, but for portability and battery life they look like a pretty attractive deal. I absolutely hate laptops and refuse to ever buy one, so i figured this would be a reasonable middle ground.

How's this one looking?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220441&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Netbooks-_-ASUS-_-34220441

300 bucks
160GB HD
1GB RAM (i'll upgrade to 2GB)
8.9 widescreen
N270 1.6 GHZ Atom processor
Wi-Fi
5.3 Hr. battery life (supposedly)

Best of all, it runs bf1942 smoothly at 30-40fps

So how's it look? Good entry level netbook? Remember, i'm shooting for cheap most of all, and the ability to tote it around school without looking like a douche with a huge lappy bag, this thing will just fit in my backpack.

Looks good to me. Don't bother putting 1942 on it though lol. Are you going to Cal Polly?

*MAFIA* OUTLAW

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Deus Absconditus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »

Probably one of the best netbooks you could get but don't expect to use it for entertainment like your desktop. Plus Asus is kicking ass in production. #1 in reliability.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »

my ex bought a asus netbook from wallmart for 264, its tiny but power packed.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »

Looks good to me. Don't bother putting 1942 on it though lol. Are you going to Cal Polly?
yup, starting in the fall.

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen, when my paycheck kicks in tomorrow i'll be ordering one up.
Think i'll throw bf42 on there for fun tho, just to have some kind of entertainment to keep me busy in those boring classes.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »

WTB DVD Drive..

or did i miss it?

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »

WTB DVD Drive..

or did i miss it?
Netbooks dont have dvd drives, or any disc drives for that matter. They have a hard copy of an OS partitioned on the hard drive, so when you want to re-format you just wipe everything and it's left with a factory settings copy of the OS.

All data transfer on these things are mostly done either through USB or wifi. I'm pretty much just gonna download everything anyway, don't really need a drive.

But good news though chris! My little sister got the Asus 900 netbook on woot.com the other day for 150 bucks, and it comes with none other than.....LINUX! Now i'm gonna have to try and wrap my head around that OS to try and figure it out, but from the reviews i've read, they packaged a nice noob friendly version of Linux with the Asus 900.

I'll make sure to ask either you or rahl for linux help if i need it tho, lol!

*MAFIA* OUTLAW

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Deus Absconditus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:11:06 AM »

You can always get an external drive if you need it too. I'm currently thinking about getting an external blue-ray player.

Check this out:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/04/13/hps-new-external-blu-ray-drive-is-sleek-as-hell/

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »

Netbooks dont have dvd drives, or any disc drives for that matter. They have a hard copy of an OS partitioned on the hard drive, so when you want to re-format you just wipe everything and it's left with a factory settings copy of the OS.

All data transfer on these things are mostly done either through USB or wifi. I'm pretty much just gonna download everything anyway, don't really need a drive.

But good news though chris! My little sister got the Asus 900 netbook on woot.com the other day for 150 bucks, and it comes with none other than.....LINUX! Now i'm gonna have to try and wrap my head around that OS to try and figure it out, but from the reviews i've read, they packaged a nice noob friendly version of Linux with the Asus 900.

I'll make sure to ask either you or rahl for linux help if i need it tho, lol!

Haha awesome!  I'm currently setting up a box to run CentOS Linux.  We'll see how that goes :P.  Man I haven't talked to Rahl in such a long time.  You know who was good w/ linux too??  TOBY!!!

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »

damn i need to learn linux lol

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

I got Ubuntu on my laptop, it's terrific.  Easy to navigate and much faster than windows with basically the same functionality (you can even run lots of windows programs using a program called Wine, though it's sometimes glitch and slow). 

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »

Haha awesome!  I'm currently setting up a box to run CentOS Linux.  We'll see how that goes :P.  Man I haven't talked to Rahl in such a long time.  You know who was good w/ linux too??  TOBY!!!
haha, oh shit i completely forgot that the linux trio back in the day was rahl, toby, you and i think one of the dutchies used to have it too? maybe it was diblo, shoot i forget it's been so long. I've been looking at possibly getting Beryl, it looks so damn sleek and performs rather mightily.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »

man what i wouldn't give to have the old gang back for one more round of 1942.

Dream Match:
Toby, Iceman, Mundies!!!, snake, billy, missa <3, rahl, balth, phantom, laaz, wasser, bone, kraut, titties, pat, misfit, partyboy, diablo, insane, brick, blakjax, mez and a few more that my mind can't think of right now.

IronMan

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 03:06:24 AM »

Netbooks are shit. They have bad hardware, sucky screen, CRAP keyboard, fucking worst ever speakers and you have to sit like a girl to have it on your lap.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »

Netbooks are shit. They have bad hardware, sucky screen, CRAP keyboard, fucking worst ever speakers and you have to sit like a girl to have it on your lap.
so i'm assuming you have one, or just speculating? The keyboard is almost the same size as a desktop one, and who buys a portable pc for their speakers? Well i would probably use a desk when i use it since we dont all sit in pow-wow circles in fucking college.

And the hardware is the same as a desktop, large hard drive, mediocre processor, and wifi. I don't want a cyborg laptop that can run crysis and weighs 13 lbs.

man what i wouldn't give to have the old gang back for one more round of 1942.

Dream Match:
Toby, Iceman, Mundies!!!, snake, billy, missa <3, rahl, balth, phantom, laaz, wasser, bone, kraut, titties, pat, misfit, partyboy, diablo, insane, brick, blakjax, mez and a few more that my mind can't think of right now.
Hahaha, insane! he was the only mafian to ban me lol, and it was because diblo showed me how to get through your guys' maze.

Shit remember that areal combat between balth and blakjax? Now that was a worthy battle. I still think my favorite game of all time was when we had almost everyone from mafia all on one team, and it was like the first time misfit and his brother in law were playing, and we all just started raping on him, i mean it was ruthless. On Battle of Britain, and then he got in like a week later because he was darn good. ah the good old days
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:39:41 AM by *MAFIA* Wasserfaller »

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 30 queries.