*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 28, 2024, 03:15:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Internet...HALP!  (Read 4195 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Internet...HALP!
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »

Ok, yet another computer issue. At my new apartment i didn't bother setting up internet because there's like 8 other wireless connections around me with 4/5 signal strength, so i figured i'd use that instead of paying for it.

Most of them are clearly owned by women (router names like "urbancowgirl" and "keelys" and "diana") so naturally they didn't bother changing the default passwords on their wireless. About 3 minutes of guessing landed me with 5 router passwords (either "admin" or "password"), so i thought i'd be set.

I know the passwords are correct because it now does the "auto connect" whenever i turn my netbook on, showing that the passwords are saved and correct. But here's the issue...it always says "limited to no connectivity. Could not renew your IP address." 4/5 signal reception, correct passwords...st ill won't connect.

I've checked a butt ton of sites and forums on the matter, downloaded a fix from microsoft (winsock or something like that), tried resetting it in command prompt (ipconfig/renew i think) and plenty of other remedies...all with no luck.

Anyone know what to do? It's frustrating as hell knowing that the password is correct and the signal strength is excellent, but it still will not connect. HALP!

I'm pretty sure this isn't "illegal" per se, just sort of mooching. Either way i figure we'll keep it in the members section. If one of you computer whizz kids get it to work, i'll throw nude pix of roommate on the secrets forum.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Internet...HALP!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »

Have you tried deleting the networks and then reconnecting to them?

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:44:45 AM »

Have you tried deleting the networks and then reconnecting to them?

Try setting yourself up with a static to see if it connects.

That will tell you if it is making a true connection.

From the properties of the Wireless connection scroll down to the TCP/IP Properties.

The majority of Linksys/Dlink/e.t.c routers are set to a class C subnet, i.e. 192.168.1.0/24

So, knowing this enter the following:

IP Address 192.168.1.100 (If you get an IP address conflict error change the last octet in the sequence i.e. 100 to 101, 102, e.t.c)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

If that still doesn't connect to any of the networks then you know you don't have a true connection and you need to do what Roshan suggested first which is removing the networks from the saved networks listing and trying to reconnect (Make sure to set IP information back to "Auto" after doing this so DHCP will assign you a new IP if it does indeed work)

If that doesn't do it, then they've either found you out and changed the WEP/WAP keys, Their router/access point is misconfigured, or there is something wrong on your end.

Oh, and for shits a giggles let's try rebuilding your Winsock.

Download and run the following: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Just in case your shit is on the fritz, never hurts to run it either.

Let me know how it goes.

MeZmoriZe

• Forum Member
  • The Emo Wonder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:34:54 AM »

If one of you computer whizz kids get it to work, i'll throw nude pix of roommate on the secrets forum.
It's a chick, right?
Making your IP static and changing the last ocelot will almost assuredly fix it.  There's about a 99% chance that you and the other internet user are trying to use the same IP.  So while she has her computer on connected to the webz, it won't allow you to connect due to conflicting IP routes.

Vermillion

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

you need to learn the epic powers of WEP cracking  O0
go to youtube and search backtrack wep crack

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »

From the properties of the Wireless connection scroll down to the TCP/IP Properties.

The majority of Linksys/Dlink/e.t.c routers are set to a class C subnet, i.e. 192.168.1.0/24

So, knowing this enter the following:

IP Address 192.168.1.100 (If you get an IP address conflict error change the last octet in the sequence i.e. 100 to 101, 102, e.t.c)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

If that still doesn't connect to any of the networks then you know you don't have a true connection and you need to do what Roshan suggested first which is removing the networks from the saved networks listing and trying to reconnect (Make sure to set IP information back to "Auto" after doing this so DHCP will assign you a new IP if it does indeed work)

If that doesn't do it, then they've either found you out and changed the WEP/WAP keys, Their router/access point is misconfigured, or there is something wrong on your end.

Oh, and for shits a giggles let's try rebuilding your Winsock.

Download and run the following: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Just in case your shit is on the fritz, never hurts to run it either.

Let me know how it goes.
I'm having difficulty finding the place to manually enter my IP address. It's a basic netbook, maybe it has less options, or in a different location?

Here's a screenshot, i'm lost lol.

It's a chick, right?
yes.

And how do i go about clearing the network, just remove them from the list and then try to re-enter the password and connect again?

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »

It's going to be under the general tab, then the TCP/IP properties once you scroll down the narrow selection window in the middle.

But while you are in this window here let's try this first...

Remove ALL of the wireless networks, then try to rejoin one of them once Window's finds them again. See if that does the trick.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »

and your computer is plugged in, correct?

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

It's going to be under the general tab, then the TCP/IP properties once you scroll down the narrow selection window in the middle.

But while you are in this window here let's try this first...

Remove ALL of the wireless networks, then try to rejoin one of them once Window's finds them again. See if that does the trick.
Well...it's getting closer! I now have an established "connection" but i still can't get online from it. Check out the attached pics, shows good signal strength and it's "connected" but i'm not receiving any packets. Also it says "connected, firewalled." Not sure if that's significant or not.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:43:22 AM »

Alright, let's try taking the Static IP information out and see if you can get connected via DHCP i.e. IP and DNS information to "Auto Configuration"

If that doesn't do it then more than likely you have the wrong key.

If that is the case then to the "other" forum we must go.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:28:03 AM by *MAFIA* Balthazar »

*MAFIA* Malbert

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »

I still think you have the wrong password, try typing in the same amount of letters, but different ones,  and see if you get the same thing, I remember I tried to guess and it would give me the limited connection too, so I just used my own internet.

*MAFIA* KrautKiller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »

Have you tried a different connection? You said you have a few you could leech off of.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »

I'm sure it's the right password because at first i tried "admin" and it gave me an "incorrect passkey" error or something like that. Then i tried the router name, then i tried password. It logged in when i tried "password" so i'm pretty sure the key is right.

I'll give it a try doing the "auto connect" instead of the static IP. The static IP worked with 3 or 4 of the connections (however many i tried it with). So when doing the static IP workaround should i enter the info, connect, then disconnect and set it back to Auto config? I'm just making sure i have the order correct.

*MAFIA* Balthazar

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »

It will connect you through the windows wireless connection configuration manager even if you don't have the right password supplied, although it won't assign you an IP address and give the the "Limited or No Connectivity" prompt.

Now if you are using a separate utility such as Dell Wireless Monitor or some other wireless configuration utility then it would tell you that the key is wrong.

Naturally the static IP method would work and you will be connected but unless the passkey is correct you will only see packets being sent, not received.

When performing the static IP method, follow below steps sequentially:

1. Make sure your IP information is set to auto-configuration
1. Select the network to connect to
2. Enter key
3. Let the network connection time-out and give you the "Limited or no Connectivity"
    if it won't auto-assign you the DHCP info.
4. Enter the static IP information
5. Check the connection

As previously stated, if using the windows method (which that looks like what you are using) then it will show you as being connected even if you have the incorrect key.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »

Oh i see. But when i entered the password as "admin" when it was really "password", it wouldn't let me get any further and would prompt an incorrect password error. I'll give this a shot when i get home tonight.

Suppose it still doesn't receive packets even after doing steps 1-5? Then off to the other forum, or would i be shit out of luck?

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.