*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 25, 2024, 01:36:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: AMD or Intel?  (Read 5500 times)

*MAFIA* Malbert

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
AMD or Intel?
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »

Obviously I want my new laptop to be able to play bf3 at least on low settings, and I'm trying to get to learn about all the parts that I would want in it before I go looking at a store. So I come to the discussion on Processors: AMD versus Intel
I want the laptop for gaming, and school. Which do you think would be better, I can't seem to find a clear cut answer through google.
Also any other things that you can list for me that are better like which GPUs, graphics cards, etc... would be better for gaming. Also I'm looking at $1,000. So I'm not looking for alienware. I'm just looking for knowledge before I go into Best Buy or Staples. I usually get an HP.

*MAFIA* Meeester

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: AMD or Intel?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »

Scoob seems to be alot better at this than I am but here is what I think

I would personally go with an Intel i5 or better since I have only ever had Intel. Gpu is also very important here if you want to play BF3 on a laptop. You will need at least a mid to high level class-2 such as a geforce 540m or radeon 6650m.

Newegg is great for finding laptops based on GPU so go there. Use this link for comparing those GPUs. (ignore the gpu that is listed already in the link, just use the side bar that has all of them and their class number)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6990M-Crossfire.58862.0.html

You should also think about the cooling ability of the laptop since bf3 is demanding.

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »

I'd try this laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157876
Or perhaps this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246005
Of course, these laptops are on the very high end of your budget.

I'd also go with an Intel CPU instead of AMD, but AMD tends to be cheaper with around the same bang.

And as Meeester said, you'll need around an i5, preferably Quad Core (I don't know if the Laptop i5 has Dual) since Frostbite engine is very CPU intensive.

Edit: What the fuck is with Laptops and 5400RPM HDDs?

Waffleboy

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »

I'd try this laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157876
Or perhaps this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246005
Of course, these laptops are on the very high end of your budget.

I'd also go with an Intel CPU instead of AMD, but AMD tends to be cheaper with around the same bang.

And as Meeester said, you'll need around an i5, preferably Quad Core (I don't know if the Laptop i5 has Dual) since Frostbite engine is very CPU intensive.

Edit: What the fuck is with Laptops and 5400RPM HDDs?

That first one especially looks like a good laptop.  Laptop i5s are dual core only (some have hyperthreading, but only 2 physical cores).  Also, because laptop's hard drives are smaller and need to produce less heat, 5400 rpm drives are common, especially for HDDs greater than 500GB.

It's hard to say what will happen when BF 3 comes out though.  Based on what DICE have said and the alpha, most people estimate a given computer will get somewhere around 10 fps in BF 3 than it did in BF:BC 2. 

*MAFIA* Manowar

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Hail and Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »

Build your own, Ive built my last 3 from here.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X7-7500_Gaming_Notebook/

Ultimate embarrassment, running into a wall with a boner and breaking your nose first.

*MAFIA* masebot1

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Mason's art site
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »

This thread is in the wrong section.

*MAFIA* MAGGOT

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
  • OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:01 PM »

I ran the alpha (read:barely ran) on an i5 with a 6450 radeon, which it is not a gaming gfx card at all.

"At some point in their lives, 1 in 6 children will be abducted by the dutch." ~The fact core, Portal 2.

*MAFIA* Malbert

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:01:59 AM »

So I'm coming to the conclusion that if I go with Intel I should look for a GTX GPU  and if I go with an AMD get HD Radeon above 6770, and stay in class 1 from Meeester's link. You should not mix the amd GPu with Intel right? like Offlines first link? use nVidia cards with inteL? Mostly from what I read now is that Intel processors will last longer but AMD have more power for your buck?
Also that 640GB hardrive will be fine and be better for the laptop since it is smaller and will cause less heat?
Also I know there are accessories like cooling stands and an extra fan but are there anythings to look for in a laptop that prevents overheating? Is AMD or Intel better with cooling? Overheating has been my main problem with this laptop I have now, if it could stay cool my GPU is fine but if it overheats it shuts off or gives me 5 fps.

@Waffle did you mean 10 less fps in bf3 than in bfbc2?

Loaded

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:34 AM »

GPU... IMO stay with ATI. I will never go with a Nvidia again, a few reasons...

*Every time you turn around AA or AF doesn't work in games until you go into the Nvidia controller and play with settings to make it work.

*There is always an update to new games you have to wait for. Yes, updates happen with ATI as well, but you never have to wait over 30 days for the "correct" update for that game (yes they miss it once in awhile, but still way better then Nvidia), I have seen Nvidia wait more then 30 days + and it took more then 1 update to get it right.

*Heat. IMO the cards burn way to hot for the speeds they are pushing. And when they get to hot, no warning (like video lag), they just shut down.

This is my 1st Nvidia card from the time I have been on computers (early 90s), lesson well taught, ATI is the way to go... Again this is just me, I'm sure others will disagree.

CPU... I am with AMD right now, next one will be an Intel... If for any reason, AMD isn't the side by side race anymore with Intel like it use to be 3 years ago at a better price... Intel is kicking now without sucking money from your pocket.

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »

You'll regret getting a gaming laptop eventually.  I know that's how I felt after 2 years of having my laptop, you just can't upgrade! lol

But my Toshiba never let me down!

Check these out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=toshiba+qosmio&x=0&y=0

Qosmio's kick ass.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 30 queries.