*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 25, 2024, 03:22:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Buying a new PC to play BF3  (Read 11471 times)

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
Buying a new PC to play BF3
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

Here's what I've been eyeballing to buy so I can play BF3.  I'll listen to all suggestion on what's good and bad about this computer.  The only thing I'm not sure about...is what the power supply is???  I was originally going to buy a I-7k computer with all the extras, but decided against it.   If you see a better computer in or around this price range...Please post a link .  I've already got a nice 32" monitor and a great sound system.  I just need a tower. 

thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APOLLO-FX-QUAD-CORE-GAMING-PC-COMPUTER-8GB-WIN-7-9800GT-4-2GHZ-X-4-A-BEAST-/330841585823?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4d07b1f89f

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new PC to play BF3
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »

Why not just build your own PC from Newegg/Amazon etc.?

9800GT is a shit video card now. The CPU is also kinda slow.

What is your budget? I'll show you what parts to get if you tell me how much you can spend maximum.

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:52 AM »

Why not just build your own PC from Newegg/Amazon etc.?

9800GT is a shit video card now. The CPU is also kinda slow.

What is your budget? I'll show you what parts to get if you tell me how much you can spend maximum.

It's really not on how much I can spend , but rather what I need to play the game safely and not harming my PC.  I'm not wanting to build a PC myself.  I need a plug and play system.   I understand bigger is better, but I'm not a huge gamer and I just need something that will allow me to play the game.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »

Based on that link, his budget is between $600-$700.  He is not computer savy, so just wants it already built where he can plug & play, like he said. 

That system should be able to run BF3, but not as smoothly as you might like, especially if you are about to buy a new computer which will hopefully last a while...

*MAFIA* Malbert

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »

Here is a site Meeester provided me and was very helpful letting me make my own decision in what graphics card I wanted. I linked you to the 9800M GT that you are looking at, I believe i have a 630M GT I play bf3 so I believe 9800M GT would do the job since it is above mine, but I don't know for sure (on the right is a list of all the graphics cards in an order class 1 being the best ones):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9800M-GT.9906.0.html

Here is where you can see how they work with games if you scroll all the way over to the right you will see bf3.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

This is basically my desktop which I bought in Sept. I've only had it for a few months so I don't know when it will burn out; when I bought it I customized it and upgraded the graphics cards and processor you would need to do the dame by hitting customize and buy:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY-All-in-One/C1U39AV?HP-ENVY-h8-1400z-Desktop-PC

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:53:12 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I don't mind spending a little more money for something that will run smoothly and last a little longer. I was going to have Cyberpower computers build me one, but their sales department wouldn't help me out on what I needed. They basically told me..If I didn't know what I wanted..How could they know what I wanted !!   I don't want 10x has much as I really need and pay a extra $500.00 for something I'll never need.  I'm having a sprinkler system installed this month..Money is a little tight right now.

*MAFIA* Manowar

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Hail and Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I don't mind spending a little more money for something that will run smoothly and last a little longer. I was going to have Cyberpower computers build me one, but their sales department wouldn't help me out on what I needed. They basically told me..If I didn't know what I wanted..How could they know what I wanted !!   I don't want 10x has much as I really need and pay a extra $500.00 for something I'll never need.  I'm having a sprinkler system installed this month..Money is a little tight right now.

Before requesting quotes for the sprinkler system perhaps you could use "Mafia's Golden Showers Services".  Our prices are very competitive and you can also collect going green credits for our organic solution we use.   :coolie:

Ultimate embarrassment, running into a wall with a boner and breaking your nose first.

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »

Here's one I put together @ Cyberpower.  I had it oveclocked 20% but I'm not really for sure if I added enough cooling???  What do you guys think? 

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ERV3M

*MAFIA* Malbert

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »

Here's one I put together @ Cyberpower.  I had it oveclocked 20% but I'm not really for sure if I added enough cooling???  What do you guys think? 

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ERV3M

A few things:
Do you plan on installing windows yourself? You forgot to check that, that is about an extra $100.

If you are going all out I would go to the GTX 660, one more above yours according to this benchmark place you get more bang for your buck and there is a big difference if I am reading the charts correctly, and for only about $50 according the the price difference.

Do you plan on using a wireless router for internet or are you plugging a cable into your desktop for internet, I would get the basic wireless card anyways for $19

There is a Hard Drive cooling fan you forgot if you want more cooling, I don't know what you will use your computer for, just games or saving important stuff too. I was working on some stuff over the summer and my hard drive fried only 6 months in on my LAPTOP (which usually overheat more than desktops imo); i had to redo all that I worked on. That's an extra $21.

You might as well click on the free Microsoft office starter too.

If you're willing to put up $1000 then this is a good buy imo. But because you spend $1000 now you might be less willing to get a new one years down the road when it is outdated, although I guess with a desktop you can upgrade (I've only recently invested in my own desktop so I don't know how easy it is to upgrade)

Also don't forget the last thing to check the 5% rebate back with coupon code

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »

This is what I'm probably getting.  It just never seems to end on a build.  I've lost a few auctions on Ebay in the last few seconds, always seems to be that one asshole that out bids me right at the end.  I've got a couple of more auctions I'm watching before I buy this one .  Things seem to sell cheaper during the week vs. weekends on Ebay.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ET2F9

The only thing that sucks about Cyberpower is that it takes a month to get your computer.  The damn thing will be outdated by the time I get it.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »

This is what I'm probably getting.  It just never seems to end on a build.  I've lost a few auctions on Ebay in the last few seconds, always seems to be that one asshole that out bids me right at the end.  I've got a couple of more auctions I'm watching before I buy this one .  Things seem to sell cheaper during the week vs. weekends on Ebay.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ET2F9

The only thing that sucks about Cyberpower is that it takes a month to get your computer.  The damn thing will be outdated by the time I get it.

Holy shit, you are getting ripped off.

Also you said in an earlier post that you're a not a huge gamer, but some of the things you're getting is wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond what you'll actually use. That motherboard is too much for you. Don't get liquid cooling if you don't know how to do anything with it. For gaming and media stuff, you don't need that CPU.

Not to be rude or anything, but this is one of the dumbest builds I've ever seen.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »

Wow, you've gone from $600-$700 to $1500, that is a huge jump.

Scooby, why don't you build something and post a link...

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »

Same thought Beatle..    If you wouldn't mind building one Scooby and post a link here on what you think I really need.   I know I said that I wasn't a huge gamer, but if I had a computer that would play more than BF1942...I'll probably start buying some of the newer games and start playing a lot more.  I'd rather have a lot more than needed now, and then a year from now. the games require a lot more power to operate,

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »

PCPartPicker part list Click this to see a list view
Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:  Asus P8Z77-V LE ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case:  Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:  Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1021.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Ouch

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »

Thanks for the info Scooby,  but does all this stuff come with all screws, bolts and nuts needed to build this?  Yes I've changed out video cards, hard drives before, but never a full build before.  I'm sure I can figure out where everything goes, but if there's a glitch somewhere..I'm screwed.  I'm going to have buy windows 7 too.   I was really hoping you were going to build me one from a site like Cyberpower.  I don't mind spending a extra 2/3 hundred for a plug and play.  I'll just have to put in a extra day of work this month to pay the difference.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.