*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:29:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: Graphics Problem  (Read 10069 times)

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
Graphics Problem
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »

Ok so I just got my new laptop, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX660m.  I played BF3 for the first time yesterday, and holy shit did it run it nice, I had everything set on ultra high and it handled it all beautifully.  But then when I was done playing I shut off my laptop and it installed a windows update before shutting down.  Then when I turned it back on, and opened the game, BF3 was laggy as hell.  I tried opening the nvidia control panel to see what was up but it wouldn't open because it said I didn't have an nvidia card installed...So I opened up my device manager and sure enough, it showed that my graphics card was set to Intel HD 4000, the onboard graphics.  After resetting my computer, the device manager listed my nvidia card along with the Intel graphics, but disabling the onboard graphics wouldn't make the computer switch to the nvidia card.  I updated the drivers on my nvidia card but that didn't do anything.  So, is there a BIOS setting or something I have to go in and change? I'm using windows 8.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:19 PM »

Somebody please help this young lad out so he can get back into BF3 with us.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »

I just did a "refresh" of windows, and that may have fixed the problem.  But what are some good GPU stress tests that I can use to make sure, so that I don't wait hours to install Battlefield again, only to be disappointed?  Keep in mind, its not a super high end card, so I don't wanna burn it out, I just want to make sure it works.

EDIT: Ok, I thought I had it fixed but I went to play BF3 and the game crashed after about ten seconds into the game.  I tried again, and it crashed about five seconds in and I got a BSOD that said : video_tdr_fail ure (nvlddmkm.sys)

So I guess that means my video driver failed. That sounds like it'd be a simple matter of updating my driver since I checked and my Nvidia drivers are indeed outdated, but now I can't get the laptop to recognize my GPU at all.  It won't show up in device manager, and I can't launch the Nvidia control panel because it doesn't detect an nvidia device.  So that means I can't update the drivers because the driver installer searches for compatible hardware before installing, and it can't find any...

Does it sound like I just have a dead graphics card? I'm going to call Lenovo and see if they can help. This fuckin sucks, I thought Lenovo laptops were reliable. 

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »

Can you just do a system restore to the time before you played BF3 and see if that works?  And then just don't upgrade the card or whatever you did to make this happen.  I'd try a few more things before paying someone to fix it.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »

I tried that, I did a system restore and nothing changed.  I did a full re-install of windows and still nothing.  I'm going to have to send it in for repair.

EDIT: Ok, I dont know what the hell is going on.  I turned on my laptop one last time to make sure that the graphics card still wasn't working before sending it in, and the graphics card appears to be working fine now...But I haven't changed a thing since doing the system restore. Does anybody have any idea what would cause this?

I tested it using 3DMark 11, and this is the readout my GPU was getting after being on maximum load for about 10 minutes.

Does everything look normal?

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but my fucking graphics card stopped working again and none of you bitches helped me.  So it'll be at least another week until i'm back on the server.  I have to wait for a replacement laptop.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »

88 C temperature is not normal. Maybe the fan stopped working on the card, which is causing it to overheat and not display anything correctly. Have you overclocked anything?

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »

Nope, I haven't overclocked anything.  I don't know how to do anything like that. It must just be a faulty card, it crashed today after ten minutes of playing Bioshock 2...when it would run Battlefield 3 just fine on high settings...how that makes any sense I have no idea.  

Also keep in mind that I never get any weird artifacting or glitches, or even lag before it crashes.  The game just crashes and the computer restarts. Before, I would get a message saying that the video driver failed and recovered, or I would get a blue screen that said the video driver failed, but today the game just froze up and my computer restarted.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.miller.14855377?sk=wall
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »

It's your ram! Get new ram and you are good!

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »

It's your ram! Get new ram and you are good!
How do you know its the RAM? I have 8 gigs of RAM.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »

How do you know its the RAM? I have 8 gigs of RAM.
it doesn't matter how much you have, if it is bad and gets overloaded your computer does what you said it did. I had 32gigs on my desktop and a 8 gig stick was bad and my computer would restart all the time back when I played bf42.

*MAFIA* Hellraiser

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »

Can't edit posts so suck my dick!

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-diagnose-bad-ram/

How to test

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-upgrades/3432631/how-check-for-bad-ram-modules-in-your-pc/
Thanks, I'll check it out right now.

EDIT: No errors were found...

There seems to be a cycle occuring.

1.  Everything works fine.

2.  I run a game, and the driver will crash and recover.

3.  I'll run it again and it'll crash and I'll get a BSOD

4.  When the computer starts, the graphics card doesn't show up in device manager.

5.  The graphics card will seemingly randomly show up in device manager, but with the message: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)"

6.  That message will seemingly randomly go away, to be replaced with "This device is working properly"

7.  It'll work fine for a while.  A day maybe.

8.  I'll randomly try playing a game, and it'll crash, restarting the cycle.

*MAFIA* Beatlejuice

• *MAFIA* Head
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »

Can't edit posts so suck my dick!

You can thank Vicke Watson, CPA for that.

Bob - if your computer is overheating, it usually freezes/restarts randomly.  The graphics card may be too much of a beast to work with the rest of your laptop.

*MAFIA* BassSlappa

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
  • Music Keeps me Going
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »

You can thank Vicke Watson, CPA for that.

Bob - if your computer is overheating, it usually freezes/restarts randomly.  The graphics card may be too much of a beast to work with the rest of your laptop.
I don't think it's overheating though.  It doesnt feel hot, and it sits on a cooling pad, plus I have a fan blowing on it to cool it from top and bottom.  The CPU and GPU never hit above 88 C.  Unless the sensors aren't functioning right.  There are lots of YouTube videos of people running games with this laptop and they all seem fine.  But I've been reading lot of forums and it seems like a common problem with my model.  I think i'll just have to send it in once it stops working again. 

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.