*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 28, 2024, 08:41:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: RAID Levels  (Read 1537 times)

Vasilij Zaitsev

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
RAID Levels
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:34:35 PM »

Does anyone here have RAID implemented? If so what are your thoughts on it? I'm wondering whether to swtich over to SATA with RAID.

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
RAID Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:45:21 AM »

Sata is much much faster than ide but raid depends on what you really want if you want really high performance and you do have a high end system do a raid stripping config you can use 2 or more drives of the same size and type to store and load data faster as it comes from multiple drives.

Mirroring is the same as stepping except you mirror your data to protect it so 4 drives would contain the same data just in case 1 or more fails you dont lose your data.

I would do a raid 0 or stripping config and use 2 sata 100-500 gig drives with at least 8mb cache some new drives are coming out with 16 and 32mb cache but they cost $$$ or if you really want performance get 2 or more 10,000 satas and strip them bad boys for a memory like speed in your data system :)

*MAFIA* Phantom

RAID Levels
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 06:17:24 AM »

Quote from: *MAFIA* Bonehead
Sata is much much faster than ide but raid depends on what you really want if you want really high performance and you do have a high end system do a raid stripping config you can use 2 or more drives of the same size and type to store and load data faster as it comes from multiple drives.

Mirroring is the same as stepping except you mirror your data to protect it so 4 drives would contain the same data just in case 1 or more fails you dont lose your data.

I would do a raid 0 or stripping config and use 2 sata 100-500 gig drives with at least 8mb cache some new drives are coming out with 16 and 32mb cache but they cost $$$ or if you really want performance get 2 or more 10,000 satas and strip them bad boys for a memory like speed in your data system :)

what a computer nerd!

Vasilij Zaitsev

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
RAID Levels
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 07:47:36 AM »

Mmmm, like two WD Raptors?... RAID 0 was the one I was thinking of the most, then there's also RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and RAID 1+0. Well you say it does have some performance boost over IDE so I'll take your word for it, there are so many forums with people that can't make up their mind over speed, but anyways I'd get SATA solely for hot-swappability. Thanks.

Hell yeah, computer nerds will rule the world!

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
RAID Levels
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 10:39:44 AM »

Phantom I believe in something that is real not some fake movie shit and besides I play with computers you play with dolls ;)

Raid 0 is best for speed and load times.
 Raid 1 is best for auto data copy.
 Raid 0+1 is good to have both worlds with speed and load times being first in the data stream.
 Raid 1+0 is good for data backup with a hint of speed.

Yes sata is much faster than ide sata uses a faster bus and has direct access to the cpu and system memory ide hade to go threw the ide bus controler before it could do anything with the cpu or memory.

Also sata does not have the limits of ide you can run up to 9 sata devices on 4 ports and you dont have to worrie about 2 drives on the same bus slowing down when doing drive to drive transfers sata does not have that problem :)

So in the end sata is the way to go if you can afford it.

Vasilij Zaitsev

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
RAID Levels
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »

dont know if this is spam but holy shit, speaking of i/o controllers i went to compusa today and saw an ata/133 ide controller for $50!! when it is half off tigerdirect and about $10 on ebay. dont go to compusa unless you like the sensation of being raped by a big, body-buildin nigger up the ass.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=compusa_sucks
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:51:14 PM by Vasilij Zaitsev »

*MAFIA* Bonehead

• *MAFIA* Founder
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • *MAFIA*
RAID Levels
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:03:28 AM »

Yes indeed compusa does blow.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 30 queries.