*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• May 29, 2024, 01:57:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: router info and stuff  (Read 2972 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
router info and stuff
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:11:43 PM »

alright, well i'm finally going to order that custom computer within the week, turns out i didn't need to get a job, a whole bunch of relatives gave me cash for graduation. I didn't think high school graduation was that big of a deal, oh well. I've now got enough to get my dream computer, gonna ask my parents to pay for shipping cuz i don't have enough.

Anyway, here's my question....we have one computer right now with internet access and no router because there's only one, but with the addition of another computer(mine), my mom wants to know if we need to upgrade our DSL charges for having another computer. I told her no, but i wasn't sure. Don't you just have to buy a router at like bestbuy or something, hook it up(tell me how to do that too please) and then you're good, right?

There isn't an extra fee for having multiple computers on the internet right? I know these sound like stupid questions, but i just want to make absolutely sure. I'll get the specs for the computer after i place the order, it should be badass. The video card is going to be an ATI X1950XTX 512mb, for a mere 211$. I'll get the rest of the info later.

Thanks in advance, hopefully i'll be up and pwning in 2-3 weeks max.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: router info and stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:21:11 PM »

ok so to have more than 1 comp connected to the internet, just get a router

from ur wall, u connect the cable to the modem. an ethernet cable goes from the modem to the "input" or w/e it would be called of the router. a typical router will have 4 ports at the back. connect pc#1 to ethernet jack #1, and pc# 2 to ehternet jack #2,   and so on. u will also be able to use wireless for laptops on that.

Do not buy another connection, it's a waste of money.   router is the easiest way to go.

if my explanation is too "bland",  most routers have  a really easy setup guide to follow.  no extra money for more comps on the net.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 06:23:27 PM by *MAFIA* Roshan »

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:05:27 PM »

superb, thanks roshan. Now i just need to get a router, any special brands to keep in mind, typical prices of a router?

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »

Some of the top brands I am familiar with are Linksys, D-link, and Netgear.  The first two I think are the top picks. 

I wouldn't go anything over $80, because the ones way over that are like for extreme gamers, or include too many functions.

When you are looking for routers, you will see letters in the description such as A, B, G, and N.  I'm not sure what these letters mean exactly, but I can tell you some general info on them.  N is the latest technology, yet they are quite expensive.  G is the next best one, and it dominates over A and B.  A combo of G/B is also good too, like a 2-in-1 deal.  The one I have is this one, but check out this one also, because it got a really good review from users.  Many people said it is very easy to use, and one guy even said that his 8 year old kid set it up perfectly.  Another good one is this one and for a good price also.  You are going to have to read the reviews of each, check out the specs, and just do a little research to find the right one for you.  Sorry for that, lol....  But i would choose one from those three I put a link to because they all seem really good for the price.  Hope this helps, and post your specifications for the computer again, so we can help you get the right stuff, if you have not bought the PC already.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 08:33:23 PM by *MAFIA* Roshan »

*MAFIA* Capsloc

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Elusive Gamers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »

go with a netgear!  easy to use, and great signal and connectivity. been using netgear for 2 years now.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:21:12 PM »

alright, here's the stats on it. NOTICE! DO NOT tell me to order more RAM, it costs 90 bucks for 512mb from this site, so i'm ordering it with the stock ammount, 512, and getting another GIG from newegg. DON'T TELL ME TO GET MORE RAM.

All of the other things on this site are very reasonably priced, but for some reason RAM costs a shit load from them. Here's teh stats...

CASE: X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)Asus M2A-MVP AMD 480X Crossfire Chipset DDR800 Dual PCIE SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)512MB PC6400 DDR2/800 Memory
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon X1950XTX PCI-E x16 512MB VIDEO CARD
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

with, professional wiring, no OS, 500 Watt power supply, and Logitech X530 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System.

Don't tell me to get better speakers, i can't afford them and they're at least decent ones. I don't want earth shattering sound, i want good stuff that's cheap.

This whole rig is going to cost 803$ USD. I know, i know, i could build one for cheaper but i lack technological know how, and i don't want to. Seems like a damn good deal to me for the price.

*MAFIA* Scooby

• *MAFIA* Admin
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:22:42 PM »

Good deal.  Better speakers?  I have those exact same spekers and they are awesome.  Good bass and surround sound.

Maybe opt for a bigger power supply if in the future you want to go with dual video cards.  but that card is good so prolly dont want two cards now.  just a suggestion.... .although they will get cheaper, so i think ur good to go. Happy Gaming!

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:19 AM »

I think you need more ram (lol)

I'm also thinking about getting one of those 5.1 systems
Though I wouldn't really know where to place the back speakers, so it might be better for me to take another 2.1 system, but this time with 2x 40 watt satillite speakers and 1x 120 subwoofer :p

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »

the stock power supply is 420 watt, i upgraded to 500 watt. I doubt i'll be changing out that graphics card any time soon, it should last me a while. It'll be some years before i even think about putting in duals...i just wanna play FH2 (mod for bf2) and all i need for that is an assload of ram, and a good graphics card. This should do the trick.

Thanks for the input on the speakers, i forget who but someone said they blow. They look fine to me, and they're only 50 bucks so hey, can't complain. I'll be putting in the order at the beginning of next month or end of this month, parents have to pay off credit card, once they (credit card company) gets our check, i'll order it up and have it within 5-10 business days. I CAN'T FUCKKSIN WIAT! NEED MOER RAMM!

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »

***********UPDATE!!!***********

i ordered it today, i'm sending my money order tomorrow, so they're probably start assembly on it saturday or next monday. I decided to do a money order because my parents didn't want me to use their card and because i found out how simple money orders are, the sales rep. was kind of a dick though, he got REALLY frustrated when i asked him to repeat himself.

In my defense he had a really thick chinese accent, and when he said "just put in all fours" it sounded like "putta ina fo." I didn't say "hey i can't understand your outsourced accent!" I was polite and blamed it on my cell connection, but still he got pretty pissed.

Anyway, the grand total was 901.77 USD. 65 bucks shipping, and 63 california sales tax bumped the price up in the long run, but he made up for his rude-ness by telling me to type in "myspace" in the coupon code box to get 30 bucks off, so it dropped my price down to 901.77.

The specs are the same as above, except i'm also getting a free briefcase and age of empires III for free too. Woopee.  Thanks for all the help too people, i'm getting a router saturday.

*MAFIA* LAAZ

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 06:30:21 PM »

someone was ripped off rofl ;)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 09:39:43 PM »

meh, i thought it was a good deal. Plus, i can't build one of these myself, i'd rather pay a bit more for them to do all the work.

*MAFIA* LAAZ

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »

meh, i thought it was a good deal. Plus, i can't build one of these myself, i'd rather pay a bit more for them to do all the work.

No you're not paying them a bit more your paying them a shitload more :)

Boemann (nl)

• Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »

Just let it be Laaz, not everyone can have a very good pc for a small amount of money...

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »

huh? That is a small amount of money, you say 900 bucks is getting ripped off...let me defined ripped off for you. 6 years ago my dad ordered a dell with everything you could imagine, all the options, and it cost 2,800 FUCKING dollars. Now that, that is a rip off.

The way i see it, i paid 900 USD for a comp that had a 400 dollar graphics card, 50-100 dollar burner, 70 dollar tower, 70 dollar power supply, 60 dollar speakers, 100 dollar hard drive, and 160 dollar processor. Sure if i built it myself i would have saved a bundle but there's one small problem...i'm too stupid. I lack the technological know how, don't know what a good combo would be, don't know good brands, don't know what a CPU looks like, don't know where an audio card goes...you get the point.

Hopefully in like 10 years i'll finally understand what things are and how they work, in the mean time i'll just pay my 900 and be on my merry way.

Just out of curiosity, how much would this computer cost if i had built it myself?

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.