*MAFIA* Forums

*MAFIA* Forums

• April 30, 2024, 12:21:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome back the Arcade! Play over 100+ games to get the high score and compete against other forum members.

http://www.mafiaowns.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=list;sortby=a2z;

Author Topic: can't handle games?  (Read 6655 times)

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 08:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Loaded
Ok spearhead is the one I am working with and like I said I get the same problem as you do. I guess in a way that is good news, because if I fix it here I am sure that will fix your problem as well. I am pointing to a video driver problem so far. So what I am going to do is ask you... Do you remember the last video driver you were using on the other hard drive? If not I'll go back to 5.10s or so and see if that will get the game going.

Maybe I'll have something for you tomorrow about what is going on here. I just stalled waiting to see what game were trying to run because there was no point on me going on if I was trying the wrong game.

I don't remember the version of the driver i was using last, but my old desktop didn't have that strange ATI window on it, so i'm guessing a much older version. It would run BF2 demo and full version of 1942 without a problem. This may be the reason, and since i'm terrible at navigating ATI's website, could you tell me where to find the 5.10 you're talking about? Thanks.
What is the Alchole level pike at for you Duney.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 09:37:26 PM »

I would think why you didn't see the ATI window is because you just installed the STD ATI drivers, not Catalyst.

5.10 is just I driver I thought of to try, but if you would like to try it now go here for the ATI 5.9 DRIVER, try the 5.9 1st, not the 5.10. Also install and run this program to clean the old drivers off of your computer, Catalyst Uninstaller, it just makes sure all of ATI stuff is clean so you can have a good clean install of new drivers after removing old ones.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 09:02:47 AM »

Ok I hope you didn't DL the drivers I said above, the 5.9s. I have been doing some messing around here and found having drivers 5.8 will let the game run, but any driver after the game will crash on start up. Now I am not sure if you really want to go back that far just to play this game. Remember the "new" ATI drivers are for "new" games, like BF2, FEAR and so on.

All up to you, you can get the 5.8 drivers from link below...

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm

Look down the page for...

ATI Catalyst 5.8 (classic) <<<< This is the type of driver you had before.

ATI Catalyst 5.8 (CCC) <<<< This is the Catalyst Control Center, the new type you just tried with the "strange ATI window" has you put it.

I would had linked the down loads but the that site wont let me.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »

i tried the 5.8, and it won't let me install it. I called tech support and they said it's because that version doesn't support my version of windows. The tech guy told me what to do, and had me reinstall the 6.4 driver. I don't mind if it won't play the MOH demo, but will the 6.4 let me play bf1942? Another problem, when i restarted windows after transfering data from an old HD, my screen is totally screwed up. Everything on my monitor has a "shadow" to it. It really hurts my eyes, do you know how to change that? Thanks for the ATI help btw.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 05:13:08 PM »

I have no clue what that tech guy is talking about, I installed them and it works fine with my Windows, XP home SP2. Yes 6.4 should be no problem, no problem here on my computer. What windows are you running? I assumed it was the same as mine.

I am strong believer "not" to transfer a old HDs info to a new hard drive, there is just so much stuff that could go on the new HD that  isn't clean, speaking of things like registry entires that are coded. It's just best to take what files (photos, music and so on) and put them on a CD (if possible), then add your games and other programs to the new hard drive.

Can you take a screen shot and post it so I can see what the screen looks like? It sound to me you have a driver problem or maybe your refresh rate is wrong. Did you use the driver clearner I posted above, Catalyst Uninstaller?

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 06:11:11 PM »

I have no clue what that tech guy is talking about, I installed them and it works fine with my Windows, XP home SP2. Yes 6.4 should be no problem, no problem here on my computer. What windows are you running? I assumed it was the same as mine.

I am strong believer "not" to transfer a old HDs info to a new hard drive, there is just so much stuff that could go on the new HD that  isn't clean, speaking of things like registry entires that are coded. It's just best to take what files (photos, music and so on) and put them on a CD (if possible), then add your games and other programs to the new hard drive.

Can you take a screen shot and post it so I can see what the screen looks like? It sound to me you have a driver problem or maybe your refresh rate is wrong. Did you use the driver clearner I posted above, Catalyst Uninstaller?

The only stuff i transfered was my music, some family pictures, and my word documents. I didn't transfer any programs or anything for fear of some "corrupted" file. I have transfered all of my programs and games from their original discs, i didn't want to make it that complicated. I'm running windows XP SP1, our xp reinstall disc is from 5 years ago. As long as the 6.4 ATI thing runs BF1942, i have no qualms, it doesn't matter if it won't do the MOH demo thing, i don't care about it that much. I'll try to post a pic of the screen....just a sec.
It won't let me copy and paste the pic into my post and the attach option is not on my screen. I'll try to PM it to you...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 12:21:10 PM by *MAFIA* Wasserfaller »

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 08:34:12 PM »

I PMed you.

Also ok on the file things. By the way, why aren't you running SP2? Have you done "Windows Update" after installing this new drive?

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 12:35:41 PM »

I Guess it is hard to tell from the pic. Have you checked the resolution and refresh rate for your Monitor?

Refresh rate... Right click any where on the screen, click "settings", click "advanced", click "monitor" now look at "Monitor Settings" and make sure the "Screen refresh rate" is what it should be.

It seems that is the problem above if you are saying in the "PM" to me that BFV is looking good.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 12:39:42 PM »

I'll make sure to do the refresh rate thing, but just so i know what should the refresh rate be at? I'm downloading the SP2 pack right now, after that i'll check the refreshness and whatnot.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 01:45:42 PM »

Well it has to do with the type of monitor you have. If you have a LCD it should be at 60 hertz, if you have a CRT (tube) it should be above 60, like 70, 80 and so on. If you have paper work for the monitor it should tell you the refresh rates it can handle with what resolution you are using.

If it is a CRT, it is always best to have the refresh rate set for the resolution you are using, say like if your screen is at 1280x1024 you should use a refresh rate of 100 hertz (that is IF the monitor AND video drivers can handle that, it should). In any case "if" you are using a CRT, start off with a refresh rate of 75Hz and see if the Icon (folders) look better to you, just go as far as you need to make the icons look good to you.

If you are using a LCD, make sure the refresh rate is at 60Hz.

Again I am 99% sure your refresh rate is your problem with the way your desk top looks.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 01:53:19 PM »

Well it has to do with the type of monitor you have. If you have a LCD it should be at 60 hertz, if you have a CRT (tube) it should be above 60, like 70, 80 and so on. If you have paper work for the monitor it should tell you the refresh rates it can handle with what resolution you are using.

If it is a CRT, it is always best to have the refresh rate set for the resolution you are using, say like if your screen is at 1280x1024 you should use a refresh rate of 100 hertz (that is IF the monitor AND video drivers can handle that, it should). In any case "if" you are using a CRT, start off with a refresh rate of 75Hz and see if the Icon (folders) look better to you, just go as far as you need to make the icons look good to you.

If you are using a LCD, make sure the refresh rate is at 60Hz.

Again I am 99% sure your refresh rate is your problem with the way your desk top looks.

Mine is a flat screen CRT "tube" monitor. I looked at the refresh rate and it's set at 75 right now. 1024 X 768 is the resolution it's at right now, are those settings where they should be?

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »

Try 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 80 and see what that looks like.

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »

Try 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 80 and see what that looks like.
1280 X 720 is what it goes by, 1280 X 1024 isn't an option. The next option for refresh rate is 85, and it makes my screen look way small. It shouldn't need to have the size redone, because yesterday morning it wasn't like this. Then, i restarted my comp after removing the HD that i had transfered info from; after the restart it looked like this. I guess i can learn to deal with it, it just looks really annoying.

Loaded

can't handle games?
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2006, 07:10:58 PM »

Ok something isn't right with the drivers, you should be able to get to 1280x1024 "unless" you monitor is that old. You didn't some how install the ATI drivers on the "old" hard drive did you? It's possible some how you are running on the windows drivers and not the ATI drivers. OR maybe you haven't installed the drivers for the monitor. Have you installed the monitor drivers? Do you know how to check that?

*MAFIA* Wasserfaller

• *MAFIA* Member
  • Forum Member
    • View Profile
can't handle games?
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »

Ok something isn't right with the drivers, you should be able to get to 1280x1024 "unless" you monitor is that old. You didn't some how install the ATI drivers on the "old" hard drive did you? It's possible some how you are running on the windows drivers and not the ATI drivers. OR maybe you haven't installed the drivers for the monitor. Have you installed the monitor drivers? Do you know how to check that?

When the dell guy delivered our new HD, i asked him if i needed to install drivers for the monitor and he said "ah, no need. It should just be a plug and use computer screen." Since my computer recognized the monitor and it worked when we plugged it in, i assumed it was fine. I'm sure i didn't install the ATI drivers on the old HD because i only had it in for about 20 min yesterday and the day before. I took it out after i was done with it, and it wasn't even in when i installed the drivers. My monitor just "might be that old". It's 5 years old, but the resolution is great in my opinion. Btw, i don't know how to check if i have installed the monitor drivers.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.